Marcus Brady leaves for Toronto

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/article/argonauts-name-marcus-brady-offensive-coordinator]http://www.cfl.ca/article/argonauts-nam ... oordinator[/url]

So where do we go now for a new O/C ?

Isn't this a lateral move for him ? Or was his contract up?

Shocked, to be honest. I too would like to know whether Brady's contract was up, because it's a lateral move otherwise and Trestman would have been well within his rights to say no. Now the question becomes: who replaces Brady? Meyer isn't ready, and there's no way a guy like Walch is ever going to be an OC in this league. Might this be the opportunity for Doug Berry to return to Montreal?

OR...

is it possible that Andy Bischoff is going to take over OC duties, leaving us to find someone else to run special teams?

I'd welcome Doug Berry's return. . . certainly not Marcel Bellefueille . .. not sure who else might be available.

I have to say, I am really disappointed in Brady. I thought he was better than this. To jump ship after Toronto passed him over last year (remember Himebaugh becoming OC and then bolting?) is disloyal. We gave him the opportunity here, we groomed him as a coach -- he has Grey Cup rings because of Marc Trestman, and he just leaves after one season? Bah. On the other hand, it's possible Trestman decided that Brady wasn't a good fit at OC and gave Marcus his walking papers.

I don't want Bellefeuille back either, and while I'd welcome Berry, I wonder whether he'd be willing to cede playcalling responsibilities to Trestman. What about Jaime Elizondo?

OR... (I do love to speculate)

Might this be a sign that Calvillo is planning to retire and take on some kind of coaching responsibility?

Interesting thought.

I tend to suspect that if there is any retired player (or soon-to-be-retired player) without any coaching background to be able to step into an offensive coordinator role immediately without first paying dues as a position coach, AC would be that person.

Since Trestman is so hands-on with the offence anyway, that just might work.

Also, I don't necessarily think we need a brand name at OC. Trestman is going to work very closely with whoever takes on the role, and it will (I imagine) still be Trestman calling the plays. After all, both Milanovich and Brady were unproven OCs when they started.

shocked indeed. For Brady to be leaving for OC position, better working relation with Scott Milanovich than with Trestman?

DP, you make mention of Bischoff. Hard to imagine him in that position given how the ST unit has been under him over the past three years. Mind you, if Trestman is the one calling the shots, maybe.

that is interesting. Could he be a player coach allowing AD the opportunity to get in to play more games?

Yeah, exactly. Trestman is basically a co-offensive coordinator with whoever has the title. He calls the plays, and has a huge hand in developing the playbook. If Anthony were to step into a coaching role, there's no better fit than here in Montreal under Trestman. 'Course, this is all just speculation. Most likely, Trestman will hire someone we've never heard of and groom him the way he groomed Milanovich and Brady in the past.

Tony: My understanding is that players can't coach, and vice-versa. But someone with better knowledge of league regulations (Richard? Hfx?) can correct me.

Maybe. I still think it's weird given that Milanovich had the choice to poach either Brady or Himebauch from us last year but opted for Himebauch.

DP, you make mention of Bischoff. Hard to imagine him in that position given how the ST unit has been under him over the past three years. Mind you, if Trestman is the one calling the shots, maybe.
Well, it wouldn't be my first choice, but we can all agree that Bischoff has done good work as running backs coach the past few years. So maybe it's a question of getting him back to an offensive position and leaving ST for someone who has the vision and skills to do the job well.

Good point. But for some reason I seem to think Brady was a player coach with the Als in his last actual playing season. I could be wrong but as you said, maybe Richard can answer that one.

I'm happy for Milanovich's GC win, but the way Toronto gets its coaches is not great for the league's image TBH. Particularly the Jones move from Calgary. That should have been punished severely, not with some laughable $5000 fine.

I also find it amusing that the Argonauts, in the grand tradition of Toronto sports franchises, don't actually develop any of their own core talent. They just poach it from other teams. Milanovich, Brady, Jones, Ray, Owens -- all from other teams.

As many of you,I was/am surprised. To me, this move has nothing to do with Anthony retiring or not. Anthony will be back and I expect an announcement in the next week to ten days.

Could the Als have allowed the Argos to talk to Brady on the condition that they talk to O'Shea? I could be wrong/way in left field, but I wonder if the relation between Milanovich and O'Shea is that great.

Scenario 1

Pat Meyer is named the Offensive Coordinator.
Andy Bischoff is named Offensive Line Coach.
Mike O'Shea becomes Special Teams Coordinator.

In another scenario, I would definitely welcome back Doug Berry either as Offensive Line Coach or Offensive Coordinator.

I expect that Marc Trestman was not that satisfied with Brady.

Richard

You're probably right about that. I was just having fun speculating.

Could the Als have allowed the Argos to talk to Brady on the condition that they talk to O'Shea? I could be wrong/way in left field, but I wonder if the relation between Milanovich and O'Shea is that great.
Interesting. Yeah, considering that Toronto continues to poach our coaches without allowing us to talk to guys like Steinhauer, you have to think Popp and Trestman would have demanded something in return for letting Brady walk.
Scenario 1

Pat Meyer is named the Offensive Coordinator.
Andy Bischoff is named Offensive Line Coach.
Mike O'Shea becomes Special Teams Coordinator.

But then who coaches RBs? Bischoff can't coach both OL and RB at once. I am also by no means certain of Bischoff's ability to be an effective OL coach.
In another scenario, I would definitely welcome back Doug Berry either as Offensive Line Coach or Offensive Coordinator.
Me too. I'd be happy to have Doug back. He's a CFL veteran, he knows the league, and he's worked with Anthony before.
I expect that Marc Trestman was not that satisfied with Brady.

Richard

The more I think about it, the more I agree with you on this point. Trestman must not have been satisfied with Brady's performance.

I'd like Lapolice. He'd be a good fit.

I agree but shiat happens. That's why I don't like taking guys back. Now we've brought back Thorpe :? Now let's see who else Toronto goes after. Our FA linesmen ?

I'm ok with it. We have a great HC, geat football guys and a hell of a group of players. We'll benefit from new blood and new ideas.

Thorpe was a different case. He had 5 years here, but left when a new head coach (Trestman) came in. If memory serves, Thorpe also went to Edmonton because an issue involving his family situation (he has an autistic daughter, I believe). Thorpe was loyal to the Als for many years, in any case.

Now let's see who else Toronto goes after. Our FA linesmen ?
Let's hope Popp is in talks with Woodruff and Perrett right now about new contracts.

LaPolice is an interesting option. I'd consider him too, and yes, I do agree that we'll benefit from new blood and new ideas. It's really Trestman's offense anyway, so it's not like the players will have to deal with an entirely new system being installed.