Marc Trestman being considered for Seattle OC job

you mean you want the address of the exact cell in his brain??

Just guesstimates for sure:
Chi: 3 year deal for 2-3 mil /year ( lasted 2 year but paid or subsidized for duration)
Balt 2 year OC: 1-1.2 mil per (lasted 1.5 but paid…could well be more)
CFL: highest paid at reported $500,000- + per. Widely reported at $600,000 in TO now
So maybe off a bit.
Do you think those are off a lot?

Mike Shula got the shaft…solid coordinator that has been saddled with a team see it’s offensive weapons depleted. The loss of Ginn was really never replaced and tightened the field up way too much for the O…this was out of his hands. When he had deep threats that could make the D play with some respect back there he was a superb OC. Personally…if I were the Raiders I would be all in on him…seems like a fit.

We should remember this wish list was just made up by a sports reporter. He's not connected with the Seahawks organization and his story didn't contain any facts or quotes, only his theories.

Trestman would only walk away from his Argos contract for a head coaching position in the NFL. It was widely reported Trestman signed in Toronto for $500k to $600k per year.

The previously highest paid coach was Jeff Tedford in B.C. who's salary was reported as $350k. I believe Trestman made less than that amount as coach in Montreal.

Sadly, there is no loyalty in life, let alone sports. Marriages end. CEO`s jump from company to company. Actors jump from film to film. Companies fire at will.

If he has the chance for more money, he should take it, and I will bear(?) him no ill will.

Well I sort of support what Everyman is saying and if we want this kind of exodus to the NFL by players and coaches, we have to stop hiring them. Quick success is the downfall of the league. I've always hated the drain away of a team after it wins the GC... We keep using phrases like " he's got to do best for his family" or "the team will not hold back a player's progress" or the ever popular "he's always wanted to play in the NFL". There is no consistency on the teams like there used to be. I'm sick of guys playing a year or two and then leaving and then quite often coming back..Everybody talks about Toronto's attitude that it wants to be American and yet all the CFL teams fawn and fight to get American players and coaches. This Manziel guy is a perfect example. We need more Canadian coaches, GMs and players, not less ! If we count Buono?? then there are only two Canuck HCs.

If all the HCs and GMs and most of the players were Canadian, there would still be a great game being played and there would still be a Grey Cup. We have to lose the perception that because he's American,he's better. Not so. We just have to give the home growns a chance. I AM CANADIAN.

if somebody offered you $30 per hr would you move or would you be loyal to your current employer for minimum wage ?
Marc Trestman should do what he feels is best for him and his family.

Gee Dan, after that speech I was about to stand up and start singing our national anthem with my right hand placed over my heart. ;D

Not sure I agree with your take on the Everyman. I don’t see it as the CFL “rescuing” Trestman by re-hiring him. The CFL made a business decision by hiring Trestman. And it paid off. Trestman led the Argos to a Grey Cup championship. I don’t see loyalty and honor figuring into the equation. Players and coaches get cut loose regularly and we as fans sometimes wonder why.

Trestman was hired by the Argos club and was offered X amount of money to produce. He produced. He got paid what he was worth and he was worth was he got paid.

If Trestman is offered something in Seattle and accepts the offer it will be a business decision and will have nothing to do with disloyalty or lack of honor in my opinion. I see nothing wrong with a player or coach wanting another challenge or grabbing an opportunity to increase his own financial bottom line if it’s presented to him.

We have had a lot of quality players go south and try out in the NFL. Some succeed and some return to the open arms of the CFL. When they decide to try out in the NFL some fans are of mixed emotions. They are sad their team may have lost one of the best players ever but on the other hand they want to wish the guy all the best and hope he succeeds in bettering his career. It is hard to make a case against ambition as long as integrity is not compromised.

Personally., I don’t think Trestman owes the CFL anything. He has done a good job as coach of the Argos and Als. He was paid to do a job and to do it well. He fulfilled his obligations. If opportunity knocks at the door elsewhere do we really have the right to judge his sense of loyalty and sense of honor?

This is not what I was talking about but if Trestman leaves because it’s better for his family then I gotta ask why he took this job in the first place AND loyalty to family always comes first over employment, at least in my books.

I gotta be careful because in this country when I write what I wrote, I get labeled a racist.

I am not blaming the players and coaches. I’m blaming the system. Like Kevin said, there is very little loyalty today.

Money talks Dan. And when it comes to professional sports it always will. And Kevin Glenn, knows that. Players don’t hire agents for nothing. I don’t know the context in which he said what you are quoting but ‘loyalty’ can take on many faces.

I believe its only a rumour... until someone within the Seahawks organization mentions Trestman's name, its just speculation.

I think it was mentioned before, but when Trestman was in Montreal, didn't reporters bring up his name every off season and during each season because of an opening in the NFL.

Trestman can work wherever he wants. Only Popp knows their discussions. Maybe he has a number of out clauses.

I agree there is too much movement in this league. But with the lure of the NFL, especially $, and contracts that are not guaranteed for players, what is the point of signing long term with a team. You can sign a 3 year deal and teams can walk away after game one of the first season of the contract. Only conditions are for veterans that halfway through the season the contract becomes a guarantee for the rest of that season.

Perhaps if owners are not willing to give full guaranteed contracts, they could put something in like a 3 year contract 2/3rds is guaranteed. Players might stick around.

X2

Would love to see him cement his spot as one of the best of all time (if he hasn’t already done that)

Trestman imo has been very fortunate and shrewd in his CFL career. Always has been in a VERY weak division. ALWAYS has had a veteran HOF QB which he never developed. And has never shown any inclination to be able to develop even an acceptable QB other than through inheritance. Pales in comparison to Hugh Campbell, Mathews, Buono, Hufnagel.
Someone here used the word exodus. There has never been nor is there an exodus of CFL coaches or GMs to the US.

You’re right. I should have only used the word exodus pertaining to players. It’s more like a trickle when it comes to HCs and GMs. I guess they are more content to stay here.

I also like your take on Trestman. My only catch in your answer is that Mathews fits the bill as well as Trestman, if not better. Excluding Baltimore, because of no -ratio, the only time he ever tried to develop a subpar team was in Sask. He failed miserably and was canned midway of his second season. All the other teams he went to were always rather cozy already.

Go Trestman GO. Why Why not!!!

Somehow I do not think the Argos will have as many “thanks but no thanks” responses as Reed and the Als.

And do you happen to know if your new HC Sherman will be living year round in Montreal?