Makowsky: "Lions announcer like Robert Plant"

gene makowsky talks about the impact of the b.c. lions announcer tim donovan. that's a whole lotta noise!

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/blogs/2008/09/15/makowsky_blog_adapting/]http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/bl ... _adapting/[/url]

I was there. There announcer is weak. Everytime they are in the huddle he is screaming, playing puppet master to either uneducated or uninitiated BC fans to get them load for the snap. Unfortunately it works. Fortunately we don't need that crap in Saskatchewan. We just get loud because thats what we know we are supposed to do.

There should be rules against audible crowd enticement. BC isn't the only one that is guilty of this, I believe Calgary and Montreal does this as well. I am cool with the mascots enciting the crowd I think that every teams mascot does this, but the PA system should be used for nothing more than announcing the outcome of the play.

Agreed. It drives me freaking nuts. If the Lions fans are too stupid to know when to cheer, why should the announcer tell them?

You know what I couldn’t believe? That idiot Lions fans were leaving the game with 3 minutes left.

There wasn't many leaving from my section. I was ready for them I was going to call them out and unfortunately they did not leave early. I called them puppets quite often though for following the announcer.

It's the same in Edmonton. They need cues from the PA "Come on Esk fans, the defence likes it Loud. Make some NOOIIIIISSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!".

Hows about "who wants the ball back". Thats a great new one this year..... lol

I got tickets from the Ticket exchange on the Lions website. They were someone's season tix, because they were lower-bowl, on the 45 yard-line. Right in front of the broadcast booth. There were lots of people leaving at the 3 minute mark. Including someone's grandma, who tore me a new one for cheering for the Riders. I didn't have the heart to tell a 75 year-old woman to eff off.

She told me I was a traitor. I told her that I am a patriot for not giving up my Rider Pride. 10 years in Vancouver, and I've never been a stronger supporter of the Green and White.

...your post is now gone, as it should be, but nice try, deb...you wanna pick on Rider fans, do it somewhere else...buh-bye now...

I saved it to show the admins...no worries.

Can't be slamming another team's fans as uneducated either...or is that now allowed?

Just because it's here, doesn't mean it's appropriate.

I save all the posts now, just in case.

(Pssttt...your last post is off-topic.) Since you're wanting to attack the intelligence of others at this point, however, let's just illustrate that what's good for the goose is good for the gander...as referenced in your post in the B.C. thread...

If you're going to pick on spelling, let's list a few of your errors from your post, shall we?

1. other teams' fans - not team's
  2. Rider forum or Riders' forum - not Rider's
  3. Oh yeah, the quote above I posted of yours? It's not even a complete sentence...
  4. Please do not begin a sentence with a conjunction.
  5. Lions' bench (unless you have only one player, in which case, feel free to keep it as Lion's)
  6. and, not ands
  7. pots should quit calling the kettles black - you have one singular and one plural
  8. Again, Riders' fans, not Rider's fans

Ah...so what was that about Billy you were intimating made him uneducated? Oh right, a simple homophone error. I suppose if you believe a homophone error is an indicator of one's intelligence, you must not be thinking very highly of yourself...have a good day!! :roll:

off topic jm

Anyhow, you can't slander another team's fans, which was my point.

A good moderator would've caught that, but you're too busy arguing/supporting the namecalling.

Oh, sure you can...you're in the Rider forum now, honey...we can say what we want about your fanbase in here...you, however, cannot...have a good day!!

Are you sticking your tongue out when you say that?

Well so much for the classy Riders' fans, huh? But, from fans who throw junk at the opposition's bench, I'm not surprised.

Go to it, considering the source, it's pretty much meaningless. Just remember teach, I corrected your error last week. And I'm not a teacher. :wink:

Delete it, it's saved anyhow. Have made my point and am done.

Good...keep the crap in your forum next time...I don't much care for wet clean-ups in here...buh-bye!

So y'all...how 'bout them B.C. announcers?

I want to respond. I was not slandering the Lions fans. It is not neccesarily their fault. It is the fault of the organization for not educating their fans to cheer without prompting. Here in sask we do not need prompting on every play to be loud.
In my opinion it should not be allowed for an announcer to purposely and directly incite the fans. If you want to do indirectly or with non-verbal cues that is fine.
If your fans do not know when to start to cheer that is your fault, and you shouldn't be able to tell them to start. Especially when the announcer himself is louder than the fans.