Make your Predictions on CFL Awards

Oops, I meant Matthews. :oops: These generic names … We need more Oramisonwus and Rwabukambas in this league. :stuck_out_tongue:

My predictions for the finalists announced today:

Player:
Chad Owens over Jon Cornish

Defensive Player:
JC Sherritt over Shea Emry

Canadian Player:
Jon Cornish over Shea Emry

Special Teams:
Tim Brown over Chris Williams. I still don’t understand why Williams was chosen over Chad Owens. Williams is a good punt returner,that’s all. Yes, a good receiver but does not return kickoffs or missed field goal. Not a special teams player as Owens.

Rookie:
Chris Williams over Jabar Westerman

Offensive Player:
Jovan Olafioye over Josh Bourke

Richard

I disagree with Tim Brown over Chris Williams. Williams had 6 special teams TDs, including 1 on a missed field goal. Williams was also 10 yards short of Tristan Jackson for most missed field goal return yards. The reason Chad Owens wasn’t selected (and I applaud the selection committee for it) is because he returned 78 kickoffs for a 22 yard average. He had 0 special teams touchdowns. Being mediocre at every single return category and just having more opportunities than everyone else is not the definition of “Outstanding”. When you combine it with his receiving he definitely has a case more for the MOP award than the Special Teams award. Tim Brown had 1 touchdown, but none on kickoffs. Kickoffs makes up the most of the all purpose yards, and neither Brown or Owens were in the top 5 return averages.

I’m also very disappointed in the selection committee not putting Harris up for 1 of the awards. He had as good as a season as Cornish (I would argue better).

Yes, Chris Williams had 6 TDs returns,including 5 on punt returns. In 4 of the 5 games where he scored a TD on punt returns, the Tiger-Cats lost by scores of 39-36,32-25,31-29 and 33-30.

To me,both Chad Owens and Tim Brown are better special teams players than Chris Williams. Chad Owens is chosen as finalist to Player of the year,most probably because his combined yards on special teams,yet he is not chosen as finalist to Special Teams Player. Does not make sense!

Richard

Unfortunately that would not make sense. Since they were both up for both award, how could one be the Most Outstanding Player and the other Most Outstanding Canadian?

Why should whether a team won or not play a role in an individual award? Wins are based on an entire team, this is merely an individual award. The Argo’s or Ticats could go 0-18 and it should not have any effect on how they determine the awards. If a runningback averaged 2 yards a carry but gained 1500 yards, should he beat out someone averaging 6 yards a carry who got 1400?

Easy to agree with all your picks. Owens achieved something special which has never happened before by being both top receiver and returner. Cornish is outstanding for Canadian running backs but not against top imports of the past. However Cornish should win top Canadian. Sherritt is the most productive linebacker while Emry isn’t even the top defensive lineman in CFL. In combined yards, Brown is more productive than Williams and being on worst team hurts Williams’ chances. Matthews over Westerman because offensive rookies usually win over defensive rookies. Olafioye over Burke because BC has best offensive line in fewest sacks and most total yards.

SHEA EMRY? What is the league thinking? This cheap shot artist and low class clown should even be allowed within the Toronto city limits Grey Cup week. This is who the league wants to represent them? A player who sucker punches his opponent in the jewels? Fine role model and great example of Canadian talent. :roll:

One step forward, 5 steps backward.

It’s Matthews, not Williams.

Agreed. Chad Owens is likely MoP and a huge part of that is is his ST play. For Chris Williams, offense is a bigger part of his game than ST. To say that Owens is a better player all around, but Williams is a better ST player doesn’t add up. Unless you just want to hand out trophies to as many people as possible. Personally i don;t do that. If Owens is the best player and the best ST, he deserves to win both rather than spreading the swag around just for better PR.

No disrespect to Olafioye intended at all. He is a great player, but the voters who picked the finalists ought to be bloody ashamed of themselves for not picking Tsoumpas.

Anyone who didn't vote Tsoumpas, I tell you face to face ... SHAME ON YOU! And I must ask, do you even watch the trenches? I mean I know that judging offensive line is the toughest position to evaluate but if you're a football journalist presumably you've been watching football since AT LEAST your teens. Come on. Can you tell a seal from a pull?

You all blew it. Major foul on you. Shame shame shame SHAME!