Major CFL Scandal?

You know whats even more disgusting. Brunt must have had this story months ago, yet he and the guy in the National Post wait for the start of the CFL preseason to make it known. These guys will do anything to undermine this league. Even though this was a non story, it was written as a slap in the face to the league?

What should be the story is why any or our major corporations didn't step up to buy the Argos? David Braley should be given the Order of CAnada for what he did. Then again that wouldn't sell newspapers I guess?

You know, you are the one giving Brunt’s story more attention… more than it deserves. It almost smacks of collusion… are you sure you aren’t a shill for Mr. Brunt? You come in here ranting and raving about a story that few in here have read (I refuse to read his garbage), until you come on here and do your SKY IS FALLING routine. All of your posts should be considered spam…

Gee, isn't this a discussion forum?
This story was something to discuss.
Guess you can't read newspapers, but that ain't may problem.
Now go back to discussing where you're gonna sit in the new Regina Stadium.

You must be living on Mars. Never mind…

The story has been picked up by every media in Canada. You can’t find any coverage on the Argos vs Als game today in the French media has picked up that piece of trash non-story. Title: Argos owe their GC to Braley. Brunt’s a P.O.S

Good for Mr. Braley. How many times in the past were the Argoes and others bailed out by the Eskimos? This is a good news story, not a scandal.

I agree.
The NHL has this support plan for Bettmans failed franchises in the southern USA
which Canadian teams are forced to pay into. .
The Blue Jays get 5 million a year from baseball as equalization payments.
The Maple leafs force their season ticket holders to buy Raptor season tickets.
Yet Braley loaning the Argos money is somehow a scandal?
I don't think so.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Braley helped out a franchise in our/his league because he didn’t want to see them go into financial trouble. It’s not like he owned this and controlled the decision making process for both teams. Then there would be a problem and a conflict of interest.

You know whats even more disgusting. Brunt must have had this story months ago, yet he and the guy in the National Post wait for the start of the CFL preseason to make it known. These guys will do anything to undermine this league. Even though this was a non story, it was written as a slap in the face to the league?
agreed. this is just an attempt to discredit the CFL.

Yes I read it this morning in my paper. Cox has the right perspective.
Now the Globe, it has turned into worse then the National Enquirer, nothing more then a rag paper trying to sensationalize stories where none exist. With the two lead “writers” Naylor and Brunt who have given journalism a blackeye to include their anti CFL and pro NFL stance.
And to think this rag has the gall to call itself Canada’s newspaper.

Instead of talking about the season? We waste time on a non-story like this?.. I would say berezin is more likely from Venus than Mars…

Two things: 1) who does Brunt work for on T.V? ROGERS
2) Who is trying to destroy the CFL and the Argos in particular? ROGERS

'nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thup: Agree 100%.

Isn't "Brunt" that Ferengei off of Deep Space Nine. He is disguised in human form. Why don't people tell him to go back to his home planet.

Its simple....Don't buy the Globe & Mail. I wouldn't use the Globe and Mail to line my Budgie cage.

Actually, its funny the differnt media spins. On Tuesday, CKNW talked about Braleys love for "Three down Football", and how Braley understands that the CFL needs Toronto and Vancouver to survive. It was positive, positive, positive. Then I saw Brunt on TSN, negative,negative, negative spins. I'll agree somewhat with Berrizan on this topic. As much as TSN "Labels" Brunt as a CFL analyst, he is nothing more than a negative role model for the CFL.

Let me ask one question. Why does any one even but the Globe & Mail outside of Toronto? It is the most boring newspaper I have ever read! I always buy the local newspapers. When I visited Calgary a few years ago it was the Calgary Sun (Sunshine Girls, very local! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) ) When I visited Edmonton a couple years ago it was the Edmonton Journal. Same for Regina last year , I bought the Regina Leader Post. All very good papers (Along with my Vancouver province, available in my neck of the woods) all very local news, (and National and World) so why would I ever by the Globe and Mail? Whats the Love affair everyone has with the G&M?

This article is part of a continuing series of anti-CFL articles published in the Globe and Mail over the past few years. Brunt and his G&M gang are obviously backing the NFL, (perhaps he is angling for a plum 6-figure PR job with Toronto's NFL team)? They are just doing the advance field work now...trying to discredit the CFL and Argos to win the hearts of Ontario football fans for the Bills and NFL. Like they keep saying, kill the Argos and the league will die! Only then can maximize their NFL profits.

The G&M sat on this story until the eve of the Argo's first home game, a double-whammy which discredited the Argos and the CFL's biggest benefactor at the same time. Perhaps they hope Braley will tire of the continual attacks from the Toronto media (how he meddles in league affairs, how the BOG is disfunctional, and Braley secretly wants to be league commissioner again and wants his signature on the footballs, etc).

A credibility gap indeed, but by the Globe and Mail, not the CFL.

But the G&M is not alone, just try to find last night's CFL scores on the Toronto Star website? They don't exist. Other than the obligatory Argo story, no news, no scores from the other CFL games?? I wonder when the NFL starts up, will the Star bother to publish the scores from the previous evening's preseason games on their website?

The fix is in. Other than TSN and our local newspapers, our national media and it's billionaire-owners are the enemy. CFL fans must remain vigilant against this media onslaught and continue to support our teams...buying game tickets...buying team merchandise, etc. Monitor and remind the media to give the CFL the proper coverage it deserves...or we could lose it all. :expressionless:

:thup: I don't know which of the two rags is worse, but here in the city this is something some of us have been living with, the blatant anti CFL lack of coverage, for decades. Having said that, don't get me started on the other media problems on the radio and TV?

I tend to agree with (I think) Scott Radley of the Hamilton Spectator when he says essentially this: There is nothing wrong with this, it happens in sports all the time, and people here have mentioned some examples of that; but it should not have been done without running it by the league first. Is this a "scandal"? Hardly. Is there a hint of impropriety? Yeah, okay. As Radley says, team owners have to not only play fairly, but must also appear to play fairly.

This is all going to blow over, people will forget about it, and those anti-CFL media types will have to hunt around looking for some other "scandal" to embarrass the league with. This one is not going to stick.

This is a huge problem in Vancouver too. The same company with the big papers raggin' on the CFL all the time. Its such garbage how the rich can influence so many opinions just like that on a bunch of crap articles.

When do we ever hear one negative thing about the NFL besides some player doing something stupid? Never! NFL is all perfect in these guys eyes. When really I just don't know why they don'y move south into the US? Oh right they'd actually have some sort of competition down there, nevermind.

You think thats bad, the FAN 590 in Tranna is the supposed carrier of Argos games, yet they give them next to no coverage whatsoever. In fact if the baseball team is playing, the Argo game is shoved onto the internet only.
And the FAN has a columinst for each sport in Toronto. Except for the CFL? And they carry Argo games?
Amazing the Argos avereaged close to 30,000 fans a game last year considering how they get fifth banana coverage in that city?

Not quite true. Mike Hogan (who does the play by play for the Argos) has “inside the Argos” every wednesday and “football friday” which of course is every friday, on his 9 to 12 show that runs every day on the Fan590.
Bob McCowan quite often has different CFL personalities on his 4 to 7 afternoon show also on the the fan590.

Where the Argos don’t get much coverage is the newspapers. Small columns generally on the 4th 5th or 6th pages of the sports.

Maybe the Vancouver Sun, but the Vancouver Province gives the Lions and CFL great coverage. The story got a mention, but training camp and the exhibition games got more coverage.

Like Big Dave said, this will blow away and wont stick.