Madani: Trestman and Popp could be gone

Trestman had the look of a man who had lunched poorly - and had no better prospects for dinner!

He was totally indifferent to the game at hand.

A highly paid NFL flunkie who’s time has come - and gone!

Without Ricky Ray - he was absolutely a horrid coach, not quite the worst as long as Mike Sherman is present - but darn close!

As for Popp - a hired gun GM with a fancy rolodex of southern contacts. If he Popped loose I wouldn’t touch him for anything - in Winnipeg. Just too much arrogance, too little results - his meal ticket was AC Calvillo, should be giving 1/2 his future earnings to AC.

Trestman may not even cut it as a QB coach in the NFL anymore. Perhaps head coach or OC in Div 2. NCAA

As far as I can remember when they were signed it was three year contracts. One more year to go if they’re back.
I think Trestman could have cooked his goose in the eyes of MLSE with his refusal to play Carter and let him do what he does best. They’re trying to sell tickets and Trestman is obviously thumbing his nose at the owners because he must have total control on who plays and who doesn’t.
The question would be is, if Trestman is fired, does his 600,000 plus count on next year’s Randy imposed salary cap.

Hmm. Never considered that one. This may change the landscape of firings.

Treacherous Mark Trestman, once the scourge of CFL head coaches seems to have the unwritten ability to walk away from existing CFL contracts - so long as something better is offered down south. With the new Mexicana league coming soon - he may get a few inquiries - wonder if he could coach in both places. No written law about it, is there?

Very good question as how fired personnel impacts this new system was not made public and no reporter was smart enough to ask.

My guess is it will not count otherwise GM’s across the league would have been pulling tantrums with the media.

I was being sarcastic…

Keep these pearls of wisdom coming please. They span the range between laughable and pathetic.

Popp and Trestman won the Grey Cup LAST YEAR in their first year with the Argonauts.
They won several Grey Cups together in Montreal as well.
All within this century btw (as a reminder to fans of teams who haven’t won the Grey Cup this century and are highly critical of these gentlemen).

A bad year? Definitely.
Their time has passed? I doubt it.

Have to agree Madani is the biggest 2 faced announcer there is…he is pro Toronto and anti CFL

The RTP call was not due to a helmet-to-helmet hit. The Argo player hit Masoli in the head with his arm. A high hit = roughing the passer. It was only Black and Forde that mentioned helmet-to-helmet, and if anyone bases their understanding of any play on what those two say, they’re going to have a major lack of understanding of the CFL rules.

The PI call did not come late. After the official sees the call he has to reach for the flag and throw it from where he’s standing. Two seconds is not an unreasonable amount of time to do this. The official that threw the flag had an angle that none of the cameras did: between the DB and Banks. He was able to see whether there was grabbing going on that none of the cameras showed. The fact that the play stood shows that there is no evidence viewed by the command centre or us that shows this contact did not take place.

And Trestman didn’t beak off about the command centre ruling; he beaked off about the initial call as he was challenging the ruling. Surprised, really, that there was no fine imposed, since publicly bad-mouthing the refs has usually resulted in one.

Referees can’t issue fines.

The league does it, and it can take several days before they are issued, so one may be coming.

Another reason not to have live mic games IMO.
Mouthing off in the media is one thing and coaches/players know to avoid it.
During a game is different - that is their workplace.
If the referee didn’t feel a flag was warranted for abuse, having a microphone on the head coach shouldn’t be used against them IMO.

Ya what’s up wrong with Trestman? A measly 3 Grey Cups in 6 seasons with 2 different teams. That’s BARELY 50%! Also during that time he’s been coach of the year ONLY twice.

He’s clearly no good.

We need a good coach like Dan Hawkins Bart Andrus or Jacques Chapdeline to show him how it’s done

I PVRed the repeat just to see it

IMO no big deal at all…He was calm and polite and simply voiced his disagreement

Or Kavis Reed

You’re right.
I can not recall Trestman ever saying anything to a ref.

Or Jim Popp :o

I was more surprised that he was upset with the call

IMO it could have gone either way

Probably more upset with how the season has gone for the Argos I’d say, more than anything. Some frustration.

I know the refs can’t issue fines. But we’re now three days after the fact, and I haven’t heard anything about any action.
Doesn’t seem like a good idea, when you’re asking for a review from command centre officials, to mouth off to the on-field officials. Especially when the call is the correct one.

Don’t take it out on Al Bradbury that your team is so terrible.

There was nothing that was even close to warranting a fine!

He was calm and polite,

Giving him a fine would be a real disgrace to the league

and fines are usually announced on Tuesdays

Sorry. I was never clued in on the league’s timetable.

As for whether a fine is warranted, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. You say he was calm and polite. I say he was rude and aggressive.