Lysack Traded

WBB RELEASE – 2005/224

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Oct. 02, 2005

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers added a savvy veteran to their defensive secondary today in a deal with the Calgary Stampeders.

The Bombers acquired import DB Anthony Malbrough and future considerations in exchange for non-import S Wes Lysack.

“Anthony Malbrough was one of the most highly-coveted defensive backs on the free agent market this past off-season,� Bomber General Manager Brendan Taman said. “We feel very fortunate to acquire a player of his ability.

“Unfortunately when you make a trade like this you have to give up quality to get quality.�

Malbrough (5-10, 185, Texas Tech DOB: Dec. 9, 1976 in Beaumont, TX) is in his fourth CFL season. He originally came to the league in 2002 when he signed as a free agent with the Stampeders on Sept. 13. He spent the remainder of that season and all of 2003 with the Stamps before being traded to the Ottawa Renegades prior to the 2004 season.

The Texas Tech grad has played in a total of 44 CFL games and has recorded 89 defensive tackles, six tackles for losses and three interceptions.

In eight games with Calgary this season Malbrough had 19 defensive tackles, two pass knockdowns, two tackles for losses and two interceptions.

Malbrough was originally a draft pick of the Cleveland Browns (2000) and earned a spot on the NFL team’s roster that season. He also spent time with the NFL’s Houston Texans and NFL Europe’s Barcelona Dragons.

Not sure how I feel about this trade. Lossing good Canadian players is not a great idea with no canuck players in return.

Bombers win this one......Taman does it again......I liked Wes but I don't think he really fit our defensive schemes. (but then again alot of guys didn't get it this year)...big hitter...but not really a leader back on the D.......we have in Malbrough one helluva savvy guy that you can really build around....smart and a real solid tackler....looking forward to seeing him in blue and gold..... :wink:...also we have some good Canadians coming in at safety....we will only miss Lysack for a little while..

Alright I put it right out there. Wes Lysack great canadian player. and has done good for us. But we have struggled all year with our secondary. and getting a new experienced DB is what we need. Bombers keep winning the trades with calgary. Go Taman Go

I go away fishing for a weekend and miss all this stuff, we probably werent going to resign Lysak next season anyways as he would be a fa. Malbrough would have to be an improvement over what we had so good trade I guess.