Lyle Bauer named Stamps President & COO

Worst kept secret of 2009/2010 has finally been made official:

Bauer named Stamps President & COO January 18, 2010 Stampeders.com Staff

CALGARY -- The Calgary Stampeders are pleased to announce Lyle Bauer will join the club as President and Chief Operating Officer. He becomes the 28th president in Stamps history.

“Lyle brings tremendous administration skills to the Stampeders and we’re excited about having him take control of the club’s business operations,? said John Forzani, managing partner of business of operations. “He did an exceptional job of turning around the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ financial situation and has also been very successful in his non-football business pursuits.?

Most recently, Bauer served as chief executive officer and president of the Bombers from February of 2000 to December of 2009. Under his direction, the Winnipeg football club went from a position of financial difficulty to a position of long-term stability with an extremely strong balance sheet.

He will oversee and operate all of the Stampeders’ business operations, while head coach/general manager John Hufnagel continues to handle all aspects of football operations.

"I am very pleased to have the opportunity to be a part of an organization like the Calgary Stampeders,? said Bauer. “Over the years, I have been able to watch the commitment this ownership group has demonstrated to ensure the viability of this organization for the city, their fans, staff and players. They have also demonstrated the commitment to acquire the best talent on and off the field and understand the required investment to be a premier franchise in the Canadian Football League."

Bauer helped revive the Winnipeg franchise by developing a sound internal business plan and by invigorating the relationship between fans, the business community and the storied franchise.

Bauer also founded the Never Alone Foundation, which supports numerous programs including CancerCare Manitoba. The Never Alone Foundation was conceived by Bauer following his own battle with cancer in late 2004.

Bauer played 10 seasons as an offensive lineman in the Canadian Football League — all in Winnipeg — and appeared in 161 regular-season games. He helped Winnipeg win Grey Cups in 1984, 1988 and 1990. As a player, he served as the team’s representative to the Canadian Football League Players’ Association and he was inducted as a member of the Winnipeg Football Club Hall of Fame in 1998.

Bauer majored in business administration at Weber State College. He moved to the real estate industry in 1982 and practiced that profession throughout his playing career.

Upon his retirement from football in February of 1992, he became the Bombers’ assistant GM and held that position for three years before becoming the general manager during Cal Murphy’s absence in 1992.

He left the Bombers in 1995 to pursue business opportunities in the grain industry, working for AgPro in Calgary where he served as the company’s general manager. He holds the C.I.M. and P.Mgr. professional designations through the Canadian Institute of Management. He also is a member of the International Association of Assembly Managers and completed the association’s executive program at Cornell University in 2005.

During his recent tenure in Winnipeg, Bauer kept his primary residence in Calgary. Originally from Saskatoon, Lyle and his wife Heidi have three children — Danni, Brodie and Wesley.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/bauer-named-stamps-president-coo

....i think everyone knew something was up when Lyle sold his property out in Stonewall....Seeing he was no longer in the plans of the Bombers once Asper took over....seems natural he'd end up in a postion like the one announced today...ONE QUESTION...IF Lyle had plans to leave quite awhile ago...why the heck did he leave the Bombers and Asper with that gift Kelly?????? :roll: ...I hope his legacy in Winnipeg is remembered for the 'Never Alone Foundation' ( a great cause) and not the fiasco that ended his tenure with the Bombers...Good Luck Lyle.. :thup:

He will oversee and operate all of the Stampeders’ business operations,
Yay!
while head coach/general manager John Hufnagel continues to handle all aspects of football operations.
Yay x2!!

Red, get a memo off to Huffer right away. . . let him know that, in the event that George Cortez leaves to be head coach in Winnipeg, he should not let Bauer try to bring in his buddy from Pennsylvania as offensive coordinator. . .

I don't think Bauer would give Kelly a job as a janitor...

....i don't know bout' that....i recently saw Kelly, with what looked to be a janitors cart, heading down the street in the Peg...He could be preparing for his new job.....maybe Calgary....who knows.?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahah ! Good one :thup:

This quote by Bauer is interesting. I guess he considers himself top talent and is it just me or is there a jab in there for his past boss ?

Over the years, I have been able to watch the commitment this ownership group has demonstrated to ensure the viability of this organization for the city, their fans, staff and players," Bauer said. "They have also demonstrated the commitment to acquire the best talent on and off the field and understand the required investment to be a premier franchise in the Canadian Football League."

An arguement can obviously be made how some of Bauers decision making like pushing Taman out and the hiring of Kelly leaves alot to be desired. And then to stay with him while "Rome burns", another bad call.
Good luck Calgary.

has Asper actually taken over yet?

No. At least another 8-12 months before that happens.

Ok did Bauer really say his mission was complete below?That explains the lack of Grey Cup wins I guess,it was all about money.Ok I liked Bauer,but didnt the city and Prov pay off a 5m debt to the team,then gave them the stadium for free?And if Asper doesnt get the new stadium going,this team could be 5/10m in debt again in a couple of years,if they need to pay for the upgrades to Wpg Stadium.Im starting to think I should be thanking the Gov's for getting out of debt and not Bauer now. :frowning:

Good luck in Calgary Bauer,if he finds himself in debt there,I think its less likely he'll get out of a hole on a privately owned team.

[url=http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/football/2010/01/18/12519701.html]http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/footb ... 19701.html[/url]

Bauer said he resigned from the Bombers Dec. 17 because his mission was complete.

“The club was virtually out of business — more than $5 million in debt,? Bauer said.

“And now their finances and balance sheet are exactly opposite. Whoever goes into Winnipeg now is going to inherit an extremely well-capitalized organization.?

Bauer hiring Kelly. It's possible. They are friends. Bauer defended Kelly before the Bomber BODS.

The Stamps haven't had a good clown for years.. even the Nik Lewis schtick is getting old...

What, sambo, do you miss the days of the Feteriks, father and son?

…now that was a circus… :lol:

hire kelly as a qb coach?

If the Bombers were to hire George Cortez as head coach the Stamps would be looking for a new OC. I can see Burris lining up under the centre already.

The Stamps will be fine with Lyle Bauer as long as they keep him occupied with the business side of things and keep his dirty fingers out of football operations. Bauer's last 5 years here were stellar examples of how NOT to not to run a football team--total Mickey Mouse management, imo.

As for Bauer turning around the team's financial fortunes, how many of the team's debts were forgiven to inflate that bottom line? Bauer took credit for other people's generosity to pad his own resume.

Good luck in Calgary, Lyle.