Lumsden

Makaveli

I am at a loss as to why you wouldn't want to resign Lumsden - you mention Cornish in Calgary - Lumsden would be OUR Cornish!!

Jesse is a "ratio breaker" and signing him has absolutely no downside in my opinion.

If you watch closely, 99% of the time the only time that Thigpen gets into the game is when Cobb comes out. Thigpen is the "Designated Import" so he goes in, an American must come out.

Jesse at RB "busts" that. You can then have an extra American receiver or RB on the field. How in the world does that hurt us.

Calgary uses this exact method - they even have it down to a science. Cornish comes in every 3rd series, spells off Joffrey Reynolds. This affords Calgary the luxury of having another American slotback into the game. No reason the Cats could not do the same.

You sign Jesse to a performance/games contract. If Jesse rushes for 1,000's of yards for years to come, we win big time. If Jesse gets hurt on the very first play, we don't lose a thing.

And I don't want to compare Cobb to Lumsden as they are vastly different backs, but everyone must remember a few of the amazing games Jesse has had as a Cat. There is no hesitation in running through that hole. We all know, since his McMaster days, that his downfall is his "upright" running position.

In my opinion, it's a no lose proposition.

Sign Jesse now!!!!

If you think its a no lose you haven’t put much thought into it…
Read through the thread im not the only one who thinks its a horrible idea.

And don’t compare Cornish to JL, he has had a great season and isn’t getting injured every other play. Like others have stated when Lumsden was he he did more to mess up our ratio than help it. Every time he got hurt we had to switch our o line and that gave us real problems. Lets just get a nice american back who can run through the line and stay healthy for the rest of the year and playoffs.

Jesse had his chance .. more than once ..and now he is homeless as far as a team goes there is a reason for that.
Canadian University ball he was good at but somewhere along the line he got weakened and maybe it was just the first injury that did it .... it's one thing to want to have the "hometown hero" come in and help clean up but i think he's a liability at this point and unless he gets stuck to a limited role i don't think he's going to become anyones starter and as soon as he signs that dotted line there is an instant liability issue

With Jesse coming off the bench Makaveli, he does not effect the ratio one bit. It's when he starts at tailback and gets hurt, that you must put in another Cdn to keep the 7 required Cdn's in the starting lineup.

Jesse IS a ratio buster - having a Cdn at RB is huge!!

Not sure why you need to say I didn't put much thought into it - no need to react like that. This is an open forum and my opinion differs from yours.

Yes, someone mentioned he had a chance but how can he hurt us. Cobb had 10 yds rushing until the last play of the game, so I'd give Lumsden another chance in a second..

I said you didnt put much thought into it because I hear this all the time.
People going on about how hes the best back when healthy, how he will sell more tickets, how we need to give the home town kid another chance…

Having a backup Canadian rb doesn’t help us at all. You said we can put in an extra American receiver when he is in, but if we have him just for that reason put one of our Canadian fullbacks out there. JL is done and doesn’t deserve another chance especially in Hamilton.

Lumsden is better. Definitely. For how long is anyone's guess but its not like we give up anything to make a spot on the roster in order to get an extra win or 2 in order to make the playoffs

the thing about jesse is a little bit different than other athletes in the CFL … Jesse was marketed to us as the next big thing and the hometown hero that was going to take this team far …along with the coach
fans got all onboard with this and really backed this kid … then all of a sudden he went from being a diamond in the rough to being a piece of glass
that kind of put people off on the jesse thing he has not completed a season in the CFL and he has not proven one thing “durability” is he good … no doubt he has some legs and size to make a good run but he has no durability to keep it up to be a person we can depend on when we need him most the end of the season and playoffs…

with him and his coach coming into the cats and having a poor showing as they did it’s not surprizing people don’t want to even think about a return

Understandable but wrongheaded. The question isn't whether he can be what he was touted to be but if he can help the team win some games in a role that doesn't jeopardize the nonimport content of our roster if/when he gets hurt

I personally dislike the inport/nonimport rules and all that jazz ....

i'd rather the teams be able to sign players for what they can do on the field and not whats typed on their birth certificate but thats a different subject ... content rules aside the whole thing about jesse will always go beyond that

Its all about the ratio. If you don't like the rules too bad. Having non-imports is crucial to the league's survival. If however you are advocating some tweeks that maintains the Canadian content but allows more flexibility you'd have my support. My suggestion would be to go back to any import playing 5 seasons with the same team can be declared to be a nonimport by that team.

i don't know about the leagues survival ..more of a hamper to candian football development programs if they aren't producing enough quality ...lt could have a trickle up effect i suppose .. i don't understand it .. it comes off in a weird way to me when i hear people say they don't want others nationalities to play i know thats not what your saying but it will always sound like that to me

without Canadian players the interest will drop for better or worse. My particular view on it isn't really significant. The fact is that there are people that will stop watching if the CFL has no Canadians and becomes just another minor league in their view

I get what your saying and yep theres some people out there that think that ..

but when it's said only canadians should play .. it sounds bad ..self centered ..and a little prejudiced ...

but in the heat of the games .. people cheer that catch ,run, tackle, sack, field goal, touchdown or whatever just the same no matter where they are from

Not really, every sport in every country sees the home crowd cheer louder for the hometown boy louder than the import. Its human nature.

i agree.
everytime i post ‘cut cobb’, its with KK in mind.

if i remember correctly, Jesse did not want to be here. So don't bring him back. There are other running backs out there. He had his chance to be a part of this team and chose not to be.

Finally something we can agree on…Only took half the season! I REALLY like KK as well (And always have) but I think (Or should I say, hope) there has to be a very good reason why he was released in the first place.

I don’t know for sure, but I really believe that it was more of wanting a fresh start than not wanting to be here. That being said, and as I have said before, I would STILL give him a shot somewhere because of his citizenship and his AMAZING talent!

yea, cuz he was injured in TC, placed on the 9-game. and then new-guy, Cobb, stepped up and took the job.
cobb was making less money then KK and getting the results, so KK was released.

now, cobb is crap, and KK would probably take less money to come back and have a chance.

Cobb was cheaper, and the team already had a boatload of those stupid cob hats in inventory at the store on Jarvis.

I think the money thing is the reason Keith was released prior to camp instead of being brought in the compete: if Keith had shown to be clearly superior in camp, it would have been a PR disaster for the team to cut him and go with the cheaper, inferior back. If the decision had been based on merit rather than salary, they would have brought Keith in to compete.