Lumsden

I agree with Alsfan he is not good enough for the NFL there is just too many things in his running game that need correction and at his age its more logical to develope someone from college who could be a possible starter at some point. He is great for the CFL and a top 3 or 4 back but to say he is starting NFL material is a long long shot at best. He could maybe half a decent career on the practice squad or special teams. I agree that ship has long sailed and he should focus on the CFL now which is better suited for his running style and body type

Lumsden is a horse. Too bad your O.C. has rocks for brains.

Forget the D or the late Sask touchdown. The Cats could have won the game if Bellefeuille had shown even an ounce of creativity on second and short. But no, he hands the ball to Jesse running straight up the gut, the way everyone in the stadium knew he would. What a surprise! The Riders stuffed him and Hamilton had to punt.

One quick slant pass to gain a whopping 3 yards and you guys have your first down and in all likelihood can kill the clock.

God is in the details.

Let me guess, are you an Al's fan or a Riders fan?

Hindsight is 20-20 when it comes to football play calling.

• paul

No offense, but if you believe the part in bold, then don't ever comment on a game ever again after it's happened. Because you know, hindsight is 20/20. :roll:

Yes, I'm an Als fan, and someone who had to put up with Bellefeuille as O.C. The staleness and lack of creativity your offense displays on second and short is exactly the same as our offense last year. It's why we could never convert on second and short, or even on third and inches! This isn't just my opinion. Duane Ford commented on Hamilton's predictability in the running game in week one against the Alouettes. Bellefeuille is the one calling the plays, and he's got to take responsibility.

You guys have a good football team with some great players (Printers, Lumsden, Moreno). But in key situations, your coaches let you down IMO. Sometimes, when a play goes wrong, it's an execution problem (e.g. a dropped ball). Or it doesn't work due to a great play by the opposing D. But sometimes, it's just poor playcalling, and that's what I think happened to Hamilton on that second-and-short play.

I believe Lumsden could be in the N.F.L and with some experience, as a starter. they man has the size, speed and power. I believe the reason he may have not made it in the past, was due to injury problems.

Lumsden reminds me of the fullback Mike Alstott from tampa Bay. I believe Lumsden has more speed than Alstott. After Lumsdens year people, that think he couldnt make the N.F.L might be changing their opinions.

IMO he is too tall too upright and lacks the ability to cut back the way a starting NFL back can he would get killed remember he is running over small linebackers in the CFL not 250ish that the nfl has to offer let along the 295lbs at the line. with his running style hed be lucky to get through that line. his style is better suited to the canadian game where he has more room to run and use his speed

I believe the reason he may have not made it in the past, was due to injury problems.
Thats a good reason.

ADAWG wrote,

IMO he is too tall too upright and lacks the ability to cut back the way a starting NFL back can he would get killed remember he is running over small linebackers in the CFL not 250ish that the nfl has to offer let along the 295lbs at the line. with his running style hed be lucky to get through that line. his style is better suited to the canadian game where he has more room to run and use his speed
That was also Alstott`s style. The guy would just power through people. I believe Alstott and Lumsden`s running style were very similar. I would give the edge in speed to lumsden. If Alstott made it as an all star in the N.F.L why can`t Lumsden?

They heard of allstot before and he didnt get hurt in training camps maybe?

You mean like Ricky Williams was supposed to?

True,

But if Lumsden remains healthy and keeps playing like this. Scouts will start coming.

Of course, I want Lumsden to remain a ticat for a very long time. I would hope that Lumsden would like to stay in Hamilton.

It could just be that the ticats are waiting for him to get injured again and then they will hold the hammer in contract talks. Its sick, but it wouldnt be the first time a team did that. Its not worth breaking the bank on lumsden. Theres plenty of good running backs and you dont need the best one to win the grey cup. Heck, the cats already have two great backs waiting to start. He should make what all great backs make, whatever that is. Charles roberts or joe smith money, no more though imo. Lumsden will go to the team that pays him the most money and a deal must get done soon or it could become a distraction.

That's all I needed to know, thank you!

• paul

Im hoping he wont get injured. The guy is in fine form this year. Looks in better shape too. They do have to sign him quick. Do you know his contract right now? Isn`t he signed up for this year and next?

Anyway he should make just as much money as the highest paid back, if not more. He is one of the premier players in this league, he should be paid like it.

I think my words were a little harsh as far as saying they are waiting for him to get hurt. He does have to prove he can play a full season though and its about the only thing he still has to answer.

Lumsden is a valuable asset, if healthy he will undoubitbly be an Eastern All Star if not an All-Canadian. Are there any other Canadian players on the Cats who could or have played at an All Star level? Hage was last year, Hudson was an Eatern All Star a few years back but really nobody else unless there are a few surprises this year. My point is that if you subtract a potential Canadian allstar the team will need to dress one of their Canadian backup players to comply with the ratio not an allstar so it is a net negative but I agree in the future the team will have to weigh the salary cap when trying to resign Jesse.

Wow, okay. Not sure why you're choosing to be so rude, but suit yourself.

A comparison to Alstott is not even close lumsden is a rb alstott was a fb. Jesse would have to bulk up a ton to become a fb i could only see jesse as a 3rd down back at best in the nfl but mainly used for special teams. to compare him to ricky williams is a tough one did ricky come here with an open mind willing to play im not so sure was he here just to make some coin to pay back his debts maybe. we will never know if that was the best ricky williams that came to the cfl i for one am not so sure.