Lumsden to retire

Why is it so hard for you to keep your mouth shut? Weren’t you getting on Poalo’s case for hating on Leak? You’re doing the same damn thing in this thread. You don’t like him. OK, you’re not obligated to. But why rag on him excessively and call him a piece of crap?

By the way…

How do you know he isn’t a great guy? Do you know him? No? I didn’t think so.

So, this thread is only for people who like Lumsden? Like I said, it’s the open forum, and the thread title was ‘Lumsden to retire.’

You’re a moderator, and yet you go around telling people to shut up if you don’t agree with them. Outstanding…

Weren't you getting on Poalo's case for hating on Leak?
I had it out with Paolo because he's expressed his hatred for Leak many, many, many times before, and I was weary of it. I made one - count it, one -- post in this thread, only to have a bunch of people come out of the woodwork and slam me for daring to not be in love with Lumsden. That's just weird.
But why rag on him excessively and call him a piece of crap?
It was one post. Take the poker out of your ass. And while you're at it, try doing your job with at least the pretense of even-handedness. Your ability to be objective on this forum is a joke, and quite frankly I have no idea why you are even a moderator.

LOL, you reason like George W. Bush. The fact is, neither of us knows Lumsden. So there’s no reason to say he’s a great guy. My dislike of Lumsden is my own personal opinion, but I’m not going to assert that he’s a terrible human being, because I don’t know him. So let’s leave the ‘he’s a great guy’ cliché at the door.

Play the moderator card, because that hasn’t been done before…

Maybe because your one post and every post after that has been irrational.

And I’ll cry myself to sleep tonight knowing that.

It sounds to me like maybe someone’s having a bad week…

It's too bad that injuries wrecked such a promising career. I hope he wins lots of medals for Canada. Best of luck to Jesse.

It is unfortunate that players like Lumsden and Erik LaPointe ( and many others ) have loads of talent but seem to be quite unlucky in having injuries take away their athletic abilities. LaPointe, after a few years playing as a backup with three different teams was not provided with the option to take to the pro league what he accomplished in the CIS . When he finally became THE runner for the Als he was superlative ( but only for a short time). Can someone tell me when Lumsden's injuries began. Was it in the NFL, the CIS or CFL. I have wondered if Lumsden's football years might have been more positive had he not gone to the NFL. When he was fit Lumsden was great-going 7.5 yards a crack for a time. It was sad that these two great athletes were the victim of injuries while in their prime.

...for what it is worth I heard JL being interviewed on the FAN960 this afternoon...and JL said the decision to retire was based solely on dedicating himself to his desire to capture olympic gold in Sochi in 2014, had nothing to do with his ability to play football this season, he said he could and the stamps would've afforded him an opportunity to do so...however, he felt that his best opportunity to excel was in the field of driving bobsled and trying to juggle two different sports watered down his ability in both...after much deliberation he chose to dedicate his future to bobsledding over football, fair enough call I suppose...

I don't believe that lol. It is because he finally realized his body can no longer take the beating from football.

Agree jman. If he was in a less physical sport that didn't tax the shoulder as much with the same money and time committement as CFL football, he'd be doing both I believe.

But JL is a warrior and tough as nails but a wonky shoulder in football generally means game over. He's young and hates to admit that I believe, which is understandable, tough when you're young to say your body is washed up for a sport.

I know you’re entitled to dislike whom ever you choose, but don’t you think this is a little harsh?

1 - Given a chance to play in the CFL is great but I don't think it equates given a chance to win a olympic medal.

2 - Given the priviledge to express one's opinion carries the expectation it will be done with a certain amount of decorum.

Wow! I am an Als fan, and I usually agree with disciplineandpunish! I just don’t understand the rage and hate in this post. Where does that come from? In one post you have accused him of using steroids (proof, stories to back up this claim), being a piece of crap (he’s not Lawrence Phillips…), of being overhyped (he is not Jarret Payton, son of… Let us ask Rod Black).

The guy was a legitimate talent. He had burner speed with linebacker size. YES, he was made of glass. That is no reason to take a dump on him.

Unbeleivable…

Good post Niagara. I think that this thread should address the fate of non import (Canadian) running backs in general. If you look at the BC Lions roster, Jamall Lee is listed as a fullback:

http://www.bclions.com/roster/show/id/2024

Jamall Lee, the 6’ 221 pound guy who ran a 4.39, 40 yard dash at the e-camp. This guy is now a fullback? A fullback in the CFL is even more useless than a fullback in the NFL (not saying the fullback is useless, just not used so much in the CFL).
So this talented player will now play one out of 4 plays in the CFL, and block 3 plays out of 4.

Someone tell me how the next import RB for the Lions is better than this guy…

Blocking is just as important as receiving or running. You can’t do either without the former, in fact, so I might even argue that having an excellent blocker is a top priority. To me, a fullback is anything but useless. Just because he isn’t catching as much as a receiver, or running as much as a runningback, that would not define him as useless to me.

Look at sports in the Globe and Mail for an interesting article on Lumsden. The writer notes that without the injuries, Lumsden would have to be ranked as the best ever CFL back. The author gives Ruben Mayes the title of " best ever"Canadian back. Ron Stewart, the Ottawa back back in the early 60s, was also noted a a splendid back. I was at Molson Stadium when Stewart destroyed the Als with his running. He set a record of around 200 yards running which might still be in the record book today. Ron was a small back but was effective along with Russ Jackson in the glory Ottawa days.