Lulay Returning This Week?

Lulay reportedly on back to practice today. Wonder if they're hoping to have him ready to play on Friday? Would be good for him to have at least one full game back before the Lions head out on the road for the playoffs. If he's still not ready then I hope Pierce starts.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=435273

I agree with you BCCaper. If Benevides is considering playing him in the semi then he needs to give Lulay game experience to get some of the rust off. This Friday would be the perfect opportunity. Pierce on the other hand can handle himself and has got plenty of game experience…… just as long as he doesn't go down injured.

Even if Lulay is ready I'm thinking that they ought to start Buck Pierce in the semi and see how things goes.

I'm with you on this one Beagle - let Pierce start for the balance of this season. Even over Lulay. Pierce in 3 quarters had a more dominant game then any of Lulay's games this season. Not holding my breath though with a coach that considered DeMarco the best chance for the team to win. Thought I was in for a long night at last week's game vs Edmonton - the first quarter was painful.

Re: Lulay might be returning? You'll know he's going to start if he gets all the first team reps the week of the playoff game, and it gets reported in the papers. And it's reported that he is cleared medically to play. As a general policy, this team typically sits the guy another week, just to be extra careful before getti him into games.

Back when Lulay got hurt I searched the web for average heal times from a partial subluxation, better known as Lulay's partial shoulder separation. Answer: about 12 weeks. Lulay is not an average case; he is young, strong, healthy and highly motivated, so should get back in, say, ten weeks. Problem is, he got hurt on September 17th, barely seven weeks ago, eight when he's play against Calgary to close out the regular season or nine playing the Riders in two weeks. But ultimately it'll heal when it heals. No guarantee the Lions MOP will get back on the field in time to help his 2o13 team's chances of getting to the Grey Cup in four weeks.

Here's a little subluxation 101: When such an injury occurs, there isn't just damage to the shoulder socket and the upper arm. There are also badly stretched tendons, which take longer to heal than the shoulder socket because there isn't much blood flow around tendons. Once they're badly stretched or torn, it's tough to regain all of the functionality and range of motion that was there before the injury. I know; I blew out my right Achilles tendon playing sandlot ball with my bro after an afternoon Lions' game. It was never the same after that, even when fully healed.

For Lulay to come back any time soon this season, he'd have to be very close to completely healed of the two injuries above, plus regained full strength in the muscle groups around the shoulder and along Lulay's highly educated right upper arm. Plus practice enough to shake most of the rust off. Plus trying to develop the familiarity with Logan he'd normally have training camp to do, working on throws and hand offs in practice with his new little buddy: "Joystick". Then he'd possibly struggle for a possession or two, maybe even a quarter or two, just to get his timing back at game speed.

So why would a coach start a guy, at such a key position, who isn't ready to play at a high level, when you have healthy options who've been with you for a while?

All that in about eight weeks. If it happens, great. Hope springs eternal. If not that, then either Pierce, Elliot or the recently underachieving DeMarco are all we have at QB against Calgary this week and the Riders next week. I'd be wondering whether they'd be trying to get him back ASAP, rather than when he's fully healed. Back in the 1980s I watched a playoff game between BC and the Bombers, where Tom Clements was playing. He had separated his right shoulder a few weeks earlier but had it "shot up" before the game and gutted the game out.. He couldn't throw the ball more than about twenty yards. That was then; nowadays organizations treat their players much better and don't rush them back.

Travis also has the rest of his pro career and supporting his family to think about. It is the athlete's nature to try to come back a week or two too soon. But if he isn't fully healed, he may take another shot on that shoulder and get hurt much worse — potentially shortening his career and reducing his earning power. Can't play and earn a six-figure income QB if ya can't do all the throws.

Of course the other intriguing angle to this is the parallel to 2004. The year Wally started a banged up Dickenson in the playoff game. An also banged-up Casey Printers, soon to be that season's MOP, could only watch as Dave gamely tried but failed to get us the win. One thing is for sure: whoever is behind center in Mosaic in two weeks, the'll be in tough against a surging Rider team.

Dooger in Surrey :cowboy:

"For Lulay to come back any time soon this season, he'd have to be very close to completely healed of the two injuries above, plus regained full strength in the muscle groups around the shoulder and along Lulay's highly educated right upper arm. Plus practice enough to shake most of the rust off. Plus trying to develop the familiarity with Logan he'd normally have training camp to do, working on throws and hand offs in practice with his new little buddy: "Joystick". Then he'd possibly struggle for a possession or two, maybe even a quarter or two, just to get his timing back at game speed. "…..by dooger

Add to this that the Roughriders D-Line will do everything it can to add to its sack total. A couple of strategic hits on Lulay and he will not be able to toss his socks into the laundry basket let alone toss a ball. Also I thought Vanbeethoven made a very good point when he compared Pierce's production this past game with Lulay's general production. Even healthy Travis was inconsistent and appeared to be struggling. Now, in fairness to Travis some of this was due to a poor O-Line that wasn't giving him the protection he needed. Also, we need to remember who Pierce was playing against last week. However, it doesn't mean that a healthy Lulay could not have a stellar game. BUT…. like you have so astutely pointed out dooger…. Lulay may be a long way from being 100%. Personally, I think a Pierce/DeMarco combo could beat SSK and Calgary if they get the protection they need and they are bang on. Especially now that we have Logan back who is able to give the Lions great field position and an enhanced run game.

As an aside…

I can relate to your Achilles tendon injury. In May 2005 I tore my right Achilles tendon. It was a total tear and took no less than 12 weeks to get out of the walking cast. After that came rehab to deal with the soft tissue problems. I injured it playing tennis and I wasn't even playing hard. I've never returned to tennis nor do I do any running. Life is more sedentary but I can still dance up a storm ballroom dancing with my wife. I still experience little twinges of pain and tightness in the affected area but I can deal with it.

I would be very surprised if Lulay is able to contribute in any meaningful way the rest of the season. The season is on Bucks shoulders now. Very happy Wally got him back from Winnipeg. Hopefully I won't have to watch DeMarco play again any time soon.

Interesting conundrum…

If all 3 QBs are able to play in the Western Semi-Final who does the coach start?

1. Lulay? Lot's of experience but he's been out for several weeks. Lot's of rust there. Also may not be 100%. One good sack and…

2. DeMarco? Has shown "promise" and lots of athletic ability. Tends to panic and throw too much into coverage and ends up giving the ball away. Good on his feet. Threw many pinpoint passes that were caught by his receivers. Lacks playoff experience. Lacks experience generally.

3. Pierce? Intelligent play maker. Too tenacious for his own good. Refuses to hook-slide.
    Knows how to work the offence and move the ball down the field. Highly prone to getting injured.

No comments about Elliot as I doubt he will play unless all three other QBs go down with injuries.

Buck Pierce would be the go to guy in my opinion. I know he can get the job done. How long he stays in the game will depend on how much protection his O-Line gives him.

Biggest concern? Our O-line. We could have Houdini barking out the signals and it won't mean squat if the O-line plays like a bunch of rolls of Charmin. Let's hope not.

Lulay returning? With his shoulder? The Stumps are No. 1 in QB sacks this year. The O in Oline stands for opening. Lets just stick with Buck. It may be a meaningless game, but Huf doesn't think so or he wouldn't be starting Cornish.

At this point the Lions have no shot with Demarco. He is not even close to being ready. They brought in Pierce who seemed to have gotten some life back in his game so going into the playoffs with Lulay unable to play it should be all Pierce tonight and see what he can do with his revived role as a back up player perhaps he will not get injured as often.
It does not look good for the Lions for 2013 but Lulay coming back healthy in 2014 and Pierce revives himself as a game managing back up the Lions have a ton of offensive weapons at receiver, still two top OTs a young center in Norman and an upside with the injured rookie from the Dinos. They will need to focus on acquiring some steady Canadian Olineman in the offseason

Who's getting the start tomorrow then?

Unless it is Lulay it will be a tough day for Pierce or Demarco. The Riders came hard against Demarco and will do the same with Buck. They will also be lining a great Dbackfield with some of the best cover guys in the CFL Anderson and Rod Williams will be lining up next to each other and Maze will be back at the other HB spot and Jackson has really broke out as a great CB in the second half of the season. Weldon Brown is a Will LB and both Ferri and/or Carlos Thomas Brak will be at safety but can play anywhere if needed. Watch out for Newman if he is pressed into action on defense.
With those cover guys they will be able to turn both Butler and Brak loose to blitz.
Only Lulay will be able to handle that.