While few would say it was an oil painting, I guess a win is a win is a win. We get the bye this week to heal some bumps and bruises and get guys like Moore healthy for the next game: at home to the Stamps on August 17th. So far, the Lions have beaten Edmonton twice, Winnipeg and Toronto once. That's food as far as it goes, but kind of like kissing your sister. "I still, haven't found what I'm looking for."
In the next six games we start at home to the Stamps, go on the road to Montreal, play a back-to-back with Hamilton, home to Montreal and meet Saskatchewan for the first time in Mosaic. Plenty of opportunities for wins in that stretch.
The last six games sees the Leos playing western opponents in five of those games. First they go on the road to Winnipeg, back home against the Riders, two weeks on the road to Calgary and Saskatchewan an finish up with two home games against Edmonton and Calgary. This stretch is where we'll find out whether the 2013 Lions are contenders, or pretenders.
You might say:"Well, we can slide into the playoffs in third place, with Edmonton being so bad." Well, maybe, but what we want is a home playoff game, in BC Place.
Areas where the Lions must improve going forward, if they hope to beat Calgary, Saskatchewan or both in the playoffs::
- Better pass protection and run blocking
- More success reading and reacting to the blitz, especially up the A-gaps
- Have the QB run the ball a bit more, to keep the defense off-balance
- Catch the damn ball when it's thrown to you. Harris dropped two catchable balls against the Bombers
- Better run stopping on first down
- Get Keron Williams going
- Better punt and kick coverage
- Break some big kick returns, maybe using Isi Sofele and reduce blocking fouls
- Less predictability in our offensive play calling
- Make the blitzes count, by wrapping up the QB
- Tackle, don't just hit someone and hope they'll go down
- Better first down production
- Better red zone production
Some may say that's a kinda tough assessment. I don't. All of these things I've identified have been, to one extend or another, areas of inconsistent play this year. They are costing us yards, points and field position. Not to mention adding grey hairs to coach Bene every day.
What do you guys think?
Dooger in Surrey :cowboy: