Lulay Almost Blew The Game!

[b]Lulay Nearly Let The Clock Run Out! :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Thank God For Our Kicker![/b] :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

Do you really need to start another pi$$ing war

Tyrone........I actually thought that Lulay did an incredible job last night, with Clock Management.
His Timing and Ball control.....could not have been any better.
Great display of staying Cool under pressure, by Lulay!
He surprised me and himself....I am sure.
Ok......Now what?
Have they Peaked....to soon?

If anything we all know its a team game period. Its not one player . But since Tyrone believe that the QB is the team. Then I guess We can blame Printers for the horrible start to last year.
I thought it was a great football game last night. I guess you couldn't be bother watching the game. I guess you could ask yourself why was Lulay put in the three minute drill in the first place? Especially when he came off the field with the lead!!!
No blame on the special team right Tyrone!!!!
How many yards did Calgary's return team get from our special team?
Brown decides to come out of the end zone after a missed Stamp's field goal only to fumble the ball back to Calgary on our 10 yard line. So instead of giving up the single point. We gave them seven on the next play. That play alone got Calgary back into the game being tied at 14 apiece.
What about the missed field goal that Calgary returned 122 yard for a T.D That gave them the lead with four mins left in the game!!
But I guess you would find a reason to blame Lulay anyways for the poor special teams right. You always do.
Tyrone I know you have the right to your opinion, But I believe Stamphater is right. Instead of having an adult conversation , You want to start another pissing war!! What happened to your other thread about Lulay???. It seems to have disappeared that you have to start another one.

it's pretty simple it would appear.

If BC wins, it has nothing to do with Lulay (or Buono).

If BC loses, it's all Lulay's fault (or Buono's).

That's how ALL Sports are!
It's always someone's Fault!
Speaking of Faults.....The Lions have to have the WORST Special Teams....when it comes to Coverage?
WTF?......is with all the Yards gained, against their Kick Off and Punt Special Teams "coverage"?
There is always, something to work on....but....when it comes to the Lions and their Kick off / Punt Coverage.....they have to be the Worst?
Taylor killed them last night!

That's pretty much it in Tyrone's world but if we still had Printers there is no way he would blame Printers at all. Instead we be hearing what a great game Casey played.

No kidding Backer..Have to agree there.

I agree!

Well surprise,suprise,! Nina backing up TYRONE..Hey Nina if you want to start another pissing war let me ask you guys something.Where is the other Lulay thread that you or Tyrone need to start another thread???? Think about that NINA!!!

Hey Lions40 ( Beagle) ,
Are you sure, that you actually want to be stirring up, this Pot?
It sure would appear, that there are a Lot of contributers to this Forum, who have Multiple alias's or Names that they go under.
Funny thing is, it is always the same guys, who always come to the Defense of each other.
As if, no one else, can see through their games? lol
It's really Sad that, people have to invent their own support system with Phony Posts, placed by themselves.
Tyrone is entitled to his own opinions,as much as you, and your own Multiple personalities are.

We can't blame Printers? Don't tell me there is anybody left who actually liked that guy.

another fine thread brought to us by Nina_Martin inc.

Tyrone is right about Lulay! He should be traded Right now..maybe to Edmonton. :wink:

Good try Oilerrocker. Good try. But we need him for the October 29 showdown in B.C. Place. :smiley:

Thank God For Our Kicker![/b] :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:
[/quote]
I agree!
[/quote]
Well surprise,suprise,! Nina backing up TYRONE..Hey Nina if you want to start another pissing war let me ask you guys something.Where is the other Lulay thread that you or Tyrone need to start another thread???? Think about that NINA!!!
[/quote]
Hey Lions40 ( Beagle) ,
Are you sure, that you actually want to be stirring up, this Pot?
It sure would appear, that there are a Lot of contributers to this Forum, who have Multiple alias's or Names that they go under.
Funny thing is, it is always the same guys, who always come to the Defense of each other.
As if, no one else, can see through their games? lol
It's really Sad that, people have to invent their own support system with Phony Posts, placed by themselves.
Tyrone is entitled to his own opinions,as much as you, and your own Multiple personalities are.
[/quote]
Same could be said to you Backer(Nina/Tyrone) But if anybody would be bother to check the person IP ADDRESS YOU WOULD FIND OUT QUICKLY if were the same person or not. But I guess you never thought of that.

Have we peaked early?

Well, we've won seven straight, scored over 30 points for, what, five of the last seven weeks and averaged less than 16 points against per game during the win streak. We've kept the same five offensive linemen healthy for the last nine or ten games and given up just one or two sacks in the last four games. We have a running game, unlike earlier this season. Our front four on defense are getting good pressure on quarterbacks and caused two Henry Burris fumbles that led to ten points. The linebacker play has been solid and the new-look DBs have improved their tackling. MacCallum was great, the one blemish being the missed field goal.

The special teams DEFINITELY need work. They've given up a return touchdown two weeks in a row, and basically are being shredded on kickoff coverage at least half the time. Right now we're winning without them, except for MacCallum, Jarius Jackson and Dan McCullough the long snapper. I suppose you could say the cover teams have peaked. maybe they'll work on itr more and, er, unpeak.

It is only natural that after destroying Toronto and Saskatchewan in back-to-back series, we would struggle a bit more against better opposition in early October. But the real difference is that we are now winning the close games; at the start of the season we were losing the close games.

Lulay did a good job Saturday night against the Stamps. He threw a pair of TDs and had no picks or fumbles, despite the Stamps switching from man-to-man to zone defence for most of the second half. And he is improving at pre-snap reads, which bodes well for this year and beyond. The Lions ended up with about 2:30 more time of possession that the Stampeders. I thought Lulay was as accurate as I've even seen him and was over 60% in passing. Frequently he had to buy time after being forced to run out of the pocket, after the Stamps started blitzing their halfback on second down off the edge on the wide side. But he made plays and first downs on the run, a big improvement from last year and early this year when he mostly stayed in the pocket and ate it instead of trying impossible throws.

Tough to see Solomon Elimimian go down with a high ankle sprain. Hopefully he heals quickly and either Joe Henderson, Jim Yurichuck, newcomer Amara Kamara (late cut of the Kansas City Chiefs) or Adam Bighill can fill that void—by committee if necessary.

In the next four weeks we play Saskatchewan and Hamilton on the road, then Edmonton (for the fourth time!) and the Als in BC Place. Nor reason why we can't win at least two or three of them, given how lackluster Edmonton looked against the Riders on Thanksgiving.

I suggest you guys learn to be true fans. Support your team win, lose or tie. Take the long term, intelligent approach to following the team and think with your heads, not your hearts. Or even lower...

Dooger in Surrey :cowboy:

Good write up Dooger.

"In the next four weeks we play Saskatchewan and Hamilton on the road, then Edmonton (for the fourth time!) and the Als in BC Place. No reason why we can't win at least two or three of them..."

Correction: No reason why the Lions can't win ALL of them! :thup:

Oh god.... has hell frozen over??

I can't believe I'm going to do this.......... but i have to agree with Tyrone on this one.

Don't get me wrong here. In my opinion, Travis has progressed very well and while he did have a shaky start to the season... everyone on the team did. But one thing i did notice early in the season in some of those close games was that he took too long to get snaps off in the last couple of minutes. He did it again on Saturday.

If i remember correctly, the ball was spotted with 14 seconds left on the clock. The play was whistled in and Lulay was taking his time barking out signals. But the Lions caught a break.... the game clock did not start as it should have. The refs blew their whistles and had the play clock reset giving Lulay an extra few seconds to get things sorted out. The team lined up again and when the play was again whistled in Lulay took the clock down to 7 seconds before getting the snap off. Seven seconds wasted. I was yelling "snap the ball" as those precious seconds were running off the clock.. and by the time the clock got down to about 9 seconds, almost everyone in the stands was calling for them to get the play started.

Had Lulay taken another couple of seconds to get the play off, had Harris broken a tackle on the run, or had the D let Harris run for a couple of seconds before taking him down.... the game would have been over without an attempt at the FG.

If I were the Lions coaching staff, Lulay would be going through the 2 minute drill all week. I realize he's young and inexperienced, but as a QB in the last 2 minutes of a game with your team down... you ALWAYS have to be mindful of the clock and get snaps off within 2-3 seconds MAX of the play being blown in.

Now.. having said that... no complaints here about the rest of his game and i have no doubt that he is capable of leading the team to a Grey Cup. Oh.. and no Backer.... I'm not saying they WILL win it... just that they are capable of winning it.

Chronic Guy you make a valid point about the time management issue. I am just wondering if when the ref blew the play at 14 seconds because of the time clock problem that Lulay thought that because it was the ref who blew it dead that the clock would not start until the ball was snapped. I don't know. I'm just looking at that as a possibility not presenting it as an excuse. If that was the reason, he should have known the rules but again it may not be the reason.

As far as saying "Lulay almost blew the game" we could say that about Harris when he took the 2nd and 10 handoff from Lulay. Harris was dropped between the hash marks with only 02 on the clock. He made no attempt to fall to the ground. He had to be tackled. In a way that was a game saving tackle executed by the opposition that saved the game for the Lions rather than Calgary. Had the Stampeder tackler just shadowed Harris for a few seconds and then brought in him down it would have been game over for the Lions.

I'm surprised Travis did not use a little look in or slant in pass to gain perhaps 5-10 more yards instead of a running play. That would have eaten maybe only 3-5 seconds. The fact is these guys are trained to make as much yardage as possible. They'd really have to have their wits about them to be thinking clock rather than yardage.

In fairness to Travis Lulay I think he deserves a lot of credit for several plays just prior to that last sequence:

1. On 1st and 10 he had the smarts and wherewithal to throw the ball out of bounds to save the ball and avoid getting sacked or intercepted
  2. On 2nd and 10 he was able to do it again
  3. On 3rd and 10 with just 24 seconds after scrambling for an eternity he was able to find Arland Bruce around the 48. The O lIne were awesome on pass protection though admittedly there were only 3 guys rushing Lulay but it only takes one guy to break through.

Rather than say Lulay almost blew the game I'd prefer to say I think Lulay contributed a great deal to pulling the game out....with of course Bruce and McCallum and the rest of team's help. Lulay is developing into an excellent QB. Time will tell how he plays under pressure when in the playoffs. I think he will do very well. :thup: