Love the CFL: Annual reasons why not to watch the SB

those who call themselves North American Football fans, and yet put down the NFL, are just as anal and ignorant as those who call themselves North American Football fans and yet put down the CFL. I have equal disdain for both.

Hmmm . . . I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone call himself a “North American Football fan.” :lol:

Semantics aside, though, I do agree with your sentiments. NA/gridiron/tackle football is fun to watch in all its varieties. :thup:

Damn right I'm watching the Super Bowl this Sunday. Why? Because I love football and since the CFL season is over I need my football fix. During the CFL season the Canadian game gets priority over the NFL as I'm a CFL first football fan but I still follow the NFL and am still watching the SB. Why wouldn't you want to watch this game? One of the best QB's in football history vs a real good next gen. league superstar QB, 2 very good running games, Peyton's air show, 2 outstanding defenses, the 2 top seeded teams in their respective conferences. I'm sure this is a game even those "non-football fan super bowl party tag along" friends could appreciate.

Grab some beers and skittles and get ready for a good game!

I’ve never lived in Michigan, have been there quite a few times though and I call the Michigan Wolverines my Wolverines.
Also a big St. Mary’s Huskies (CISF) fan and never lived in Halifax either.

And hopefully St Mary's football program can redeem itself after the embarrassing racist, misogynist, homophobic football player tweets scandal it finds itself in these days.

Hard to believe these guys didn't think about getting in trouble unless they had a few drinks or smokes and weren't thinking.

Isn't this the American version of the Grey Cup??

If so, I guess I'll give it a shot! :rockin:

i always have to wonder what the super bowl tv ratings would be if CFL fans took a 1-year break from it leaving only NFL-only fans and commercial watchers?

would it be dwarfed by the grey cup ratings thus sending a clear message to the media and advertisers to drastically increase their CFL coverage and sponsorship dollars?

Hmm - drummer - to be a fair comparison wouldn't we have to have all NFL fans skip the Grey Cup one year so that it would be watched by CFL-only fans? I think they both would lose about 80 - 90% of their audience. I wouldn't be able to watch either. lol

NFL-only fans ONLY watch the NFL and don't give the CFL or the Grey cup the time of day.
when the Grey Cup is on, they're watching NFL sunday games.
there are not many CFL fans who avoid watching the NFL after the CFL season is over.

so, it's not a fair comparison.
football fans in this country break down like this; CFL is number 1 and NFL is number 2, or NFL is number 1 and CFL isn't worth watching.
i still long to see the results of my experiment, and know CFL fans who follow the NFL as well won't skip the superbowl.

I don't watch the SB all the hype about all the NFL teams and Players/ Coaches is what turns me off and why I love the CFL, I can appreciate Talent and Adversity, without the constant HYperbowl about how great every player and coach is, Its like NFL games are scripted by the Broadcaster!
IMHO NFL is so overhyped and some teams so bad that all 8 CFL teams would be in the top 20 in the NFL!

The irony is that you are saying that on a CFL board about not watching the Super Bowl. So CFL fans - not watching Super Bowl.

And I completely find your breakdown of football fans to be bogus. I know many guys (including some Argos season ticket holders) who prefer the NFL yet watch the CFL. In fact I would say among the group of 50 - 60 sports fans I generally have hung with in Toronto over the last 20 years - attending many Grey Cup and Super Bowl parties with as many fall in the NFL 1/CFL 2 as who fall in the CFL 1/NFL 2 with a handful in the NFL 1/CFL 0 category you describe. Admittedly I did not know of anybody in the CFL 1/NFL 0 category until I started reading posts here.

Why not watch with the sound off? Still pretty good football, albeit with some strange rules.

Well stated mass, Go CFL Go.

As other have stated I love football too...whether its the NFL or CFL. After the Super Bowl I'll hold my breath for four months until June when the CFL starts again!

There are a few of us here.
In fact this is not a scientific poll, however in my circle there are people who could care less and will not watch the Super Bowl but in turn watch the Grey Cup because its a nationalistic thing.
Too bad we don’t have more people like this on board.

I don't watch the NFL. They have the best players but we have the best rules. When I criticize the NFL it is usually in the defense of a put down of the CFL. I will watch the SB because I love football, but I would probably watch hockey instead if the Leafs were playing. I have a Ho-Hum attitude when it comes to the NFL. To all those that love the NFL, all the best to you. I hope it's a great game.

I only watch Canadian football (CFL, CIS), don't give a sh*t about Yankee ball, to put it bluntly. Don't buy the bogus argument that if you're a true football fan you watch both leagues (CFL, NFL). I've never watched the SB and have zero interest in doing so this year or in the future.

Excellent point SR, couldn’t agree more. :thup:

I'll probably watch 10min of the SB before I get bored with it and decide to see what else is on the 500 channel universe. Maybe i'll read a book.

I sometimes get caught up in all the hype with American football but when I start watching 10 min in I get bored with the slow pace and move on to something else. CFL, CIS all the way!