Looking GREAT (or at least VERY good) for the CFL?

Is it just me or are things looking GREAT for the CFL?

I truly can not think of any worries for the League right now.

Long Term TV Contract : Check
New Stadiums : Check
Solid Ownership : Check
Every Team Will Make Money This Year : Check
Attendance and ST All Up or At Least Solid : Check

I am sure SlimJim will provide a negative spin but things are (kinda) GREAT!!!

Assuming the Ticats made what the Blue Bombers made before the Grey Cup...

Anyone have any idea how long it will take until Bob Young recovers his losses for the first dozen years? Anyone have any idea how much Bob Young lost (on the Ticats) prior to the new Stadium?

it sure looks like attendance and tv viewership will be very high this year. Almost all of the issues the last couple of years are gone. Women's soccer, Panam games, Rogers center, BJ's conflicts, Argo not playing at home, THF issues completed. Bombers and RR teams improving. Ottawa and Toronto team looking strong, G C in T.O. all the QB's back from injury. It sure looks like a great season ahead. If its a dog fight to the GC it will be fun

Yes things are looking much better.
BC and MTL may become the weaker links, but have strong ownership, and GM/HC's in Brillo and Popp.
They both should break even or better.

As you know the only negative I have and it's not a "spin" is the Toronto situation.
You can't say that EVERY team WILL make money, that is no guarantee. Just because the Argos are moving into BMO doesn't "guarantee" they make money. Let's just see what their season tickets sales are going to be.
Let's just say that 8 out of 9 will probably make money, is that negative........................??? :slight_smile:

They have the Grey Cup. That will guarantee they make money.

I wonder if the value of the Ticat franchise is now higher than the investment he's put into turning it around.

When MLSE (the whole) was previously going to buy the Argos (three times) their projections were that the team would be profitable (one million dollars). But that wasn't profitable enough for the greedy sobs (and I think we can guess which part of MLSE scotched that) Their projections (a few years ago) were also before the new TV contract so the situation would be even better now.

The last Grey Cup in Toronto may have made a $10 million dollar profit so I think it might be safe to assume the Argos will make money this year.

I would put the franchise in the $30M range. Considering he bought it for a dollar, that's not bad. Now all he would need is a buyer (smile).

Bob Young when Lobbying for a new Stadium in 2010

[b][i]"I bought into the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for a whole bunch of illogical personal reasons. They include my personal experience of having grown up in Hamilton until I was 10 and then being dragged around the world for the next 10 years. My answer to the question of "where are you from," no matter where I have been living ever since, has always been Hamilton.

I continue to have friends and family in Hamilton, and as you know I'm a passionate Tiger-Cat fan. So when the Tiger-Cats finished 1-17 and went bankrupt in 2003, I made the very silly emotional decision to put my money where my heart was.

Financially it has been one of the worst ideas I've ever had. No, scratch that - it has been easily the worst financial idea I've ever had. While we have trimmed the losses of the team every year we are still losing a huge number of dollars every year."[/i][/b]

Young concludes that the Ticats can't get profitable because Ivor Wynne is simply not a viable stadium. "The only reason Hamilton has had a football team for the last 40 years is that a long line of foolish but wealthy and philanthropic citizens have been willing to pay the losses."

Was watching the top highlights (and the gaffers were also fun to watch :wink: ) of last season on TSN this morning. Definitely getting me pumped for the upcoming campaign to see who will become the new national champions of Canadian football, Grey Cup champs for 2016!

Agree. So...

How much do you think he has lost and how long do you think it would take to recover?

Lets not jinx it now boys. lol

It's a private company so we wouldn't know how much and how long it would take to recover. We don't know if the Ticats made money or broke even last year.
But if you look at the other teams that are public, Edmonton or Saskatchewan you can see by their books how much they spend and how much they bring in form tickets, concessions etc. They don't make big profits and their attendance is 8k to 10k higher than the Ticats but Hamilton with a small stadium has to try to make money out of things like them Private Suites, Club Seats, Field level seats etc But the team is paying quite a bit in rent (construction cost contribution?) I think the city also gets a portion of concessions, but that's offset by the naming rights.

Remember this interview with Mithell in 2011 - he stated the Ticats needed 22,500 at $50 average to break even

[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/article/587582--mitchell-answers-questions]http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/ar ... -questions[/url]

Below is an excerpt from the Cats lease with the city of Hamilton...............The city gets nothing from concessions if it is a football or soccer game run by the Cats...........So Slim , hate to say it but you are incorrect . (again)

"The City will receive 50% of the net revenue for consumable concessions (e.g. food and
beverage) and a negotiated amount from non-consumable concessions (e.g. branded
merchandise) from City events and 15% net revenue from all consumable concessions
for all other events" (including Tiger-Cats events and Incidental events but not including
football and soccer games).

Is it so difficult not to post when you don’t know what is going on or is it just plain trolling. There’s no need for an Internet poster to kick the CFL, it has plenty of Toronto media wannabe hacks to do that for you. Trolling the CFL is surplus to requirements.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats trending in the right direction, on the field and in business
The National Post Scott Stinson November 12, 2015

About four years ago, Mark Cohon, the former commissioner of the Canadian Football League, sat across a table in Toronto and touted the economic fundamentals of the sport.

Television ratings were strong. Major sponsors were on board. The Grey Cup was about to celebrate it’s 100th title in the country’s biggest city.

And of the eight teams in the league at the time, Cohon said, smiling — he was always smiling — he could confidently say that six of them were in great shape.

The other two had some, um, challenges. Toronto, obviously, was one. And he nodded his head sideways just a touch, like he was pointing down the road.

Oh, right. Hamilton.

But now, there is just the one.

The Tiger-Cats, despite considerable on-field challenges this season that will see them start either a third- or fourth-string quarterback in Sunday’s East Semi-Final against the Toronto Argonauts, have been a bigger success on the business side. They played a full season at the shiny new Tim Hortons Field for the first time. And, in related news, they turned a profit for the first time since anyone on the current roster was in short pants. Almost certainly, for the first time since entrepreneur Bob Young saved the franchise by purchasing it in 2003.

It has been, all involved note, a long time coming.

“It’s kind of all come together,? says Matt Afinec, the Ticats’ chief commercial officer, explaining that a year in the black is the result of what has been something like an eight-year process.

It started with the stadium. When plans for a new facility that would host the soccer events for last summer’s Pan-Am Games, and then become the new home for the football team, were finally confirmed about five years ago, it was, says Afenic, the proverbial “light at the end of the tunnel.?

“We all loved Ivor Wynne (Stadium),? he says. “It was a great place to watch a football game. It wasn’t a great place to run a business.?

It’s true of any sport today: old stadiums, whatever their charms, will be replaced in favour of those that can deliver more money to the team’s owners in the form of everyone’s favourite bit of sports-bizspeak, additional revenue streams. Ivor Wynne didn’t have the premium seats that are the spine of any pro-sports funding model, and it didn’t have the modern bells and/or whistles that help sell tickets.

“We are competing with television,? Afenic says. You need to do all you can to improve the in-game experience, he says, so you give fans a reason to leave the comfort of the couch in front of the 50-inch flatscreen.

At Tim Hortons Field, that doesn’t just mean fancy club seats and suites — although Afenic says there is a waiting list for each of those — but also ticket options on the lower end of the scale that appeal to a younger demographic, which, in the East at least, has not been a CFL strength at all. Behind the north end zone in the new stadium is a beer garden-type patio, where tickets are $24, and behind the south end zone are open-air lounge-type seats, with couches and tables and the whole bit. Everything but the bouncer and the velvet rope. The idea was to make the game a destination. In Hamilton, there are, er, opportunities for such things.

The result has been 16 straight sellouts, and a likely 17th on Sunday (it is sold out - JM), although some of the air was let out of the season first with the knee injury to star quarterback Zach Collaros in September, and then the head injury to backup Jeff Mathews late last month. Hamilton lost its last three games to finish 10-8 and drop out of the division lead, which would have given them a useful bye this week.

The business side of the team knows about obstacles, too. After Ivor Wynne was razed, the Tiger-Cats played the entire 2013 season at the University of Guelph, and last year was supposed to be their homecoming but a remarkable number of construction delays first kept them out of Tim Hortons Field, and then allowed them into a stadium that was only partially open. Then, this year, the Pan-Ams took over the building for more than a month at the start of the year, which ended up given the Ticats a weird eight-week stretch of home games.

“We’ve seen our share of road trips,? is how Afenic puts, diplomatically, but even with the stadium completed this year the unusual schedule made ticket sales a chore.

“We couldn’t just show up and turn on the lights,? he says.

But it worked. Or at least it has worked. It’s also a blueprint for what the new owners of the Argos hope will finally rescue that franchise: new stadium, young demographic, don’t lose money by the bucketload.

For the Ticats, all they need now is for one of their raw quarterbacks — head coach Kent Austin hasn’t said which of Jeremiah Masoli or Jacory Harris will get the start — to beat the Argos, and future Hall of Famer Ricky Ray, to get back to the East Final.

Afenic says he has faith. Overcoming obstacles, not letting problems become distractions: “These are lessons the business side has often taken from the football team,? he says.

IMHO Caretaker has lost well over $50M since 2003, the year in Guelph and half season at Mac probably cost him over $10M alone.
Even now the Lease at THF is close to $1M/yr
Last season is the first year in decades the team made a profit, and I would bet that Caretaker re-invested that back into the Club
Caretaker is not in this to make money, He is Caretaking the Club to hopefully make it financially viable for another 100 years
He will never, ever recover the money he lost
You value the TiCats at $30M, I think not, He would be hard pressed to find a buyer for $10M,

Interesting commentary from the US:

CFL adopts device for fixing officiating errors quickly

In 2016, the CFL will be doing something that the NFL needs to be doing, too. But the NFL needs to go even farther.

Via the Canadian Press, the Canadian Football League has added a video official, with the goal of correcting blatant officiating mistakes quickly. The video official will operate from the CFL’s command center in Toronto, monitoring the action from a feed that shows the entire field.

The expectation is simple: The video official will be asked to fix obvious errors that cannot be challenged via the replay review system.

The CFL also has expanded the universe of plays that fall within the normal replay review function to include offensive pass interference, illegal contact, roughing the passer or kicker, and other previously non-reviewable plays. In 2014, the CFL made defensive pass interference reviewable.

The NFL has resisted making pass interference reviewable, based on the notion that interference is a judgment call. Still, officials can make significant and clear errors when determining whether interference did or didn’t occur; why not allow it to be fixed?

... [url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/07/cfl-adopts-device-for-fixing-officiating-errors-quickly/#comments]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... /#comments[/url]

He's a great owner and we are lucky to have him but you can't throw out figures like 50 million dollars losses with nothing to back that up. Your basically calling him an idiot if you think he would lose 50 million dollars of his money. He's packed the place since he's bought the team and now is on solid grounds to make around 5 million a year minimum. and any losses left that he has incurred will likely be covered when he get's his Grey Cup. As for the evaluation of that team I would say that as it stands with brand new facilities and a great lease, strong income streams, the team would likely find a buyer in the 15 to 20 million range. Now there aren't a lot of buyers for a CFL team, its never easy for this league to find great owners like Bob Young. But with a lot of hard work and patience, he's built himself a solid business. Let's just hope he enjoys owning them for a long time.

Yeesh, I was asked for my opinion on how much I think he has lost over the 13 years he has owned the team. and how long it would take to recover the losses, I think $50M is on the lesser side
He will not recover his losses, If he makes any profit, he will put every penny of profit back into the Team.
And if a person had $20M to invest, they would be an idiot to invest it into a CFL team

As far as backing up why I think he has lost that much

In the words of Caretaker on buying the TiCats
"Financially it has been one of the worst ideas I've ever had. No, scratch that - it has been easily the worst financial idea I've ever had. While we have trimmed the losses of the team every year we are still losing a huge number of dollars every year."