Looking at the Crossover and why?

Listening to the broadcast on PVR after the game last night i heard them say that Toronto at 8-10 would be the best team to get beat out on a crossover ever. (Makes sense because tie always goes to the east) and i got me thinking about why?

Simple answer from our western friends is that the East Sucks. Which isnt exactlly true either but for another thread. Lets think about some of the reasons the records ended the way they did.

• You had a 15 win team in the West (Not something that happens very often)
  • You had a 2 win team in the East (Not something that happens very often)
  • You had Hamilon (The best regular season team in the East) losing a bunch of VERY CLOSE games @ Western opponents, keeping wins in the West when normally the best team in the East would win at least one or two games out west.

Ottawa.
Not only were they not very good but one of their wins came in the East, hurting the records in the east. Think about this though, if Ottawa wasnt in the league Hamilton/Montreal/Toronto would have at least 1 (maybe 2) games against each other. Giving one of them likely 2 more wins, and there you have it. Hamilton or Montreal with potentially 11 wins. ONE close win out West for Hamilton - 12 wins.

I know im making alot of assumptions, but its interesting to think about all that happened this year and how it contributed to an unprecidented crossover. While some will cry for a new playoff system im not sure its really that big of a deal. If you look at the current "power rankings" (not TSN or CFLs awful ones but actual power rankings) - outside of the clear cut top team in the league (Calgary) the next "tier" of playoff teams is quite a good mix. I would argue that in ANY game between the 2 teams below the home team would be favoured.

Edmonton - 12-6
Saskatchewan - 10-8 ** very arguably not the 3rd best team in the league
Hamilton - 9-9
BC - 9-9
Montreal - 9-9

Any one of these teams could be the second best team in the CFL and lets be honest. If durant didnt get hurt there would likely not have been a crossover. (i didnt look at the numbers but i would think they would have handed BC another loss or at least have had 2-3 more wins and changing the importance of some of the later games in the season.

Lastly, When you look at last year and potentially this year having the Grey Cup in the West (especially last year outdoors with Sask being at home) the western dominance gets much more steam. Nobody would have beat Sask last year but Hamilton gets the title of (inferior East team to be handed a birth in a Grey Cup) - if that game is played neutral or indoors i bet the result is much closer. This year being indoors will help even it out but the crowd will again be more Western dominant.

I dont think a new playoff format is needed at all, once Ottawa gets better it will pull a couple wins from the West and you wont see so many 9-9 / 8-10 teams but having said all that, i cant remember a year with so much parity and so many teams that have a chance to win the Grey Cup. Adding Toronto and you realistically had 7 out of 9 teams in it with realistic Grey Cup chances in the final week of the season.

Debates , conversations, treatises like this could be put to bed forever if the CFL would just grow up, and get the courage to abolish East West divisions ... they are an antiquity and completely unnecessary.

Sorry - can't really speak to anything in this post because I can't get over how much time is wasted on a topic that should not exist... ELIMINATE DIVISIONS !!

No thanks.

If we were one unhappy division ,Calgary would get a bye next weekend.
The Blew team would play second place Eskimoes in the Polar Vortex .
Als would travel to Riderville ,Polar Vortex field
BC finishes ahead of TiCats in a tie breaker.
Ti-Cats would play in the warm Lions den.

It really takes something away from the National championship feeling that the Grey Cup has going for it ,the East West rivalry.

Not in favour .

Continuing to the next round
TiCats / Lions would play Calgary in their Polar Vortex field
Riders would play Eskimoes in minus 20 conditions.
Can domed stadiums be far off?
Like BC's not the second mistake on the Lake.

If we were one unhappy division ,Calgary would get a bye next weekend. The Blew team would play second place Eskimoes in the Polar Vortex . Als would travel to Riderville ,Polar Vortex field BC finishes ahead of TiCats in a tie breaker. Ti-Cats would play in the warm Lions den.
If you attempt to make some kind of point ... try being a little more accurate ... there is no reason why the Argos would be in the playoffs ... one Division can still give two bye's to top two teams.

Sask would be playing Als ... Ham would be playing BC ... in week one. (using PF as tie break between records).

Anything past that is pure speculation, and meaningless. Suffice to say all permutations and combinations of East vs West would be possible ... including all east or all west Grey Cup.

It really takes something away from the National championship feeling that the Grey Cup has going for it ,the East West rivalry.
I guess this depends on your perspective ... I would be happy to know the NATIONAL Championship would be between the 2 best teams in the ENTIRE COUNTRY that got there by an honest playoff system determined by the actual results of the regular season... not an artificial FORCED game between two different regions of the country.

I guess it's just a matter of OPEN ( ie National) minded versus SMALL (Regional) minded perspectives.

The First place team gets the bye in the one division .

Why should second place be rewarded ?
This formula allows more teams to be in the playoffs which is a good thing for entertainment .
More teams in the playoffs increases interest in the CFL.

The Blew team deserves to be in the playoffs at the bottom of the pile just as much as BC does .The Blews played better than BC in the final four games of the season ,BC was terrible ,maybe that was with the intention to rest players for the playoffs or?...

The First place team gets the bye in the one division .
Why because you say so ? Where is the law ?

20 weeks of football to eliminate 2 teams !!?? Ridiculous !!

When and if the CFL gets a 10th team in the east ... that is the ONLY time 2 Divisions will EVER make sense in this day and age.

You play the season for Home Field advantage.

The 13 th man advantage.

If and when we have a ten team balanced league then return to the two game division finals,or even before.

That was when this league rocked!

Move the season ahead a week or two .

After the two game division finals give both teams a bye week to heal and to give the fans the best entertaining Grey Cup game possible .

Youll never see the 2 game total point come back, but it was a great thing and I would love to see it again.

That was some great football, I was at both games...

How about a format like this.

The East and West division winners get an automatic bye and the rest is based on record regardless of division
So this year it would look like this
This retains the East/West format, yet seeds the teams more evenly, based on records

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2Dkn8NCQAEGyKg.png

I like it Grover... :thup: