Locker Room Leaders (lack of)

After returning from Sunday’s game in Montreal … I think I have to agree with Dave Stala’s comment:

"I’ve heard it’s not the same in the locker-room over there".

The two exceptions (in my opinion) may be Brian Bulcke and Marc Beswick.

Unfortunately … Two players just can’t do it all on their own.

meh its a young team and in my opinion leadership from a player is overrated.

Of course it is "not the same"
We have other leaders in
Simoni
Butler
Bulcke
Laurent
Rico
Fantuz
Collaros
Gable
LeFevour
Tasker
Ellingson
Dyakowski and Wojt when they return

I believe in these guys and feel they will turn this around

Bakari Grant

we had great "leadership" in 2012. that got us 6 wins.

it really is overrated

I don't know, my friend, because perhaps your experience is different. However, I must ask you a question. Have you ever been in management or been responsible for organizational governance? Have you reviewed the research on leadership, leadership styles, and leadership presence or absence?

For instance, here's a link to an interesting research paper.The Relationship Among Athlete Leadership
Behaviors and Cohesion in Team Sports

http://scholar.uwindsor.ca/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=humankineticspub&sei-redir=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.ca%2Fscholar%3Fq%3Dveteran%2Bleadership%2Bon%2Bsports%2Bteams%26btnG%3D%26hl%3Den%26as_sdt%3D0%252C5#search=%22veteran%20leadership%20sports%20teams%22

Lots of work being done. You have to put the pieces together, and judge what's good and relevant research, but there seems to be a pretty good connection between leadership and team success.

Dont know why regime after regime keeps ignoring the HTC fan formula for success : Change - but keep everything the same.

Also, do you want to know what coaches think of “team building”? Here’s an interesting piece. Expert Coaches Perceptions of Team Building

http://sportpsych.mcgill.ca/pdf/publications/Expert_Coaches_Perceptions_of_TB.pdf

thanks Mark started reading it but im at work so i'll finish later.

and no I haven't been in a managers position.

regarding the team building they speak of and I know everyone says football is the ultimate team game but at the end of the day its all about 1 on 1 battles. if everyone on the team wins their 1v1's the team will be successful

leadership should come from coaches imo

Lunch over so back to work. However, I agree that you win the 1 on 1's. But where does one get the motivation to win that battle? Sure, we say that it's intrinsic, internal to the player. However, we all know the experience of going deep within ourselves to find extra reserves. There's things WE can do to make our co-worker better rather than just advance ourselves. Multiply the little extra bit that teamwork gives times every player and it can turn out to be a lot. Of course, if the team has neither the talent or the right plan... all teamwork can do is make losing a tiny bit less lousy.

in the words of the great Randy Moss "str8 cash homie" lol

Works for some... not for all. And if a player is on a longer term contract, AND is a name, then other things add up to extra motivation. For some it's notoriety, for others it's team.

However, the CFL gives less job security so it may not even be the amount of money that's the key motivator as much as just keeping a job. But, my point is about the cohesion that makes a team work better. There are always several ways to do a job. Sometimes you can look better by making it harder for your teammate to do his or her job while you might ALSO do your job better by helping the other.

Motivation studies look at choices like this. They also consider why someone might stretch themselves... even dangerously... while another won't. Some people do it for "team".

I work hard at building cohesion on my team at work because we accomplish things, share ideas and do things better, help each other, and the sum of the whole is greater than that of the parts.

Tell John Chick its all about 1 on 1 battles. :wink: There are lots of events on the field that can be distilled down to 1 on 1 battles, but there are many that can't. There's all kinds of coordination and decisionmaking about changing responsibility on the O line for example. Even in instances that come down to "1 on 1", half the battle is making sure a player is engaged in the right 1 on 1 battle. In zone coverage in the defensive backfield, those matchups will change over the course of the play, and part of the teamwork problem is not just players making the right decisions, but trusting their teammates to make the right decision. A running back can pancake a DB blitzing from the outside, but if someone else was coming free inside, winning the 1v1 on the outside isn't really a win. And in general, blitzes and nickel sets are about changing the ratio of attackers to defenders in a certain region of the field.

Show me a coach who chooses locker room popularity of a player over effectiveness at that player's position and I'll show you a coach who's afraid to make change and a soon to be unemployed one.

I'm sorry Stala wasn't used more in his last year and I'm glad he found a spot with Montreal, but this sounds like sour grapes to me. Put down that water bottle and show some class Dave!

I agree with this but perhaps there's a 3rd factor.

The popularity of a player doesn't determine his effectiveness as a player OR as a motivator. There may be correlations but certainly no causation can be determined.

Your ideal player - and the one who you look for as a team Captain, is all of these.

He's one of your best/most effective players.
He's popular - so he has the attention of teammates.
He's a motivator- a student of how to get people together on the same page.

Markeith Knowlton and Jamal Johnson were seen as "leaders"....

but one couldnt cover anymore and the latter couldnt stop the run anymore. Changes had to be made. To keep them for some vague qualitative adjective liie "leader" would amount to coaching/GM incompetence.

Again, agree. It rare to keep someone solely for "leadership". Some clubs advance an aging player to a minor coaching slot to keep them around for that.

From The Scratching Post:

1. Bakari Grant’s speech. At halftime, Grant unleashed a halftime oratory designed to inspire the troops. On a young team, Grant is emerging as a veteran leader. "I just told the team, if we were going to win we had to earn it - they weren’t going to give it up, " Grant said afterward. "We just had to be aggressive, hit them in the mouth and take the win from them."
[url=http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2014/09/the-ticats-use-a-front-five-do-the-little-things-and-want-a-big-sign.html]http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2014/ ... -sign.html[/url]

I think this shows this team has leaders. :rockin:

exactly why leadership in players is overrated. since most coaches (positional) are former good/great players that current players can look too.