Locker Room Anthems

Time to lighten the mood a little. Post your favourite locker room jams, or what you think should be playing to get the Cats fired up.

Nas "Halftime"
Dizzee Rascal "Sirens"
Daft Punk "Harder better faster stronger"
MOP "Ante Up"
Jurassic 5 "What's Golden"

Brandenburg #5 by Bach

Rammstein "Du Hast"
Metallica "For Whom The Bell Tolls"
Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Rage Against The Machine "Killing In The Name"
White Zombie "More Human Than Human"

Ahhh, The theme from Cinderella.
OR
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocius from Mary Poppins.

Beatles.."I'm a Loser"

Whatever. Goldberg Variations kicks #5's ass any day of the week.

"Hilarious."

Sincerely,

Every primetime family-sitcom writer ever.

Rage Against the Machine- Take the Power Back
Rage- Know Your Enemy
Rage- Bulls on Parade

D12- Get my Gun
Limp Bizkit- Break Stuff

50 Cent- Back Down

DMX - Ruff Riders Anthem
DMX - Bring the whole crew

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Pantera- 5 Minutes Alone
Kid Rock - Bawataba
Disturbed - Sickness

Some are pretty cheesy, but a few o' those will get tha blood boilin'!!!

'Rage in the Cage' by J.Geils Band.

All of you under 35 will have to download this from limewire...

Brew's Note: This is by no means a suggestion that you should knowingly break the law by downloading music from artists who stopped producing records back when there were still records and not 8 tracks or cassette tapes which were the precursor to the CDs and DVDs that we have now. Anyway, Piracy is a crime and few of us look good with an eyepatch so be careful and be real out there)

Bunner
Mark wrote: Brandenburg #5 by Bach
Whatever. Goldberg Variations kicks #5's ass any day of the week.
Bunner.... I'm calling you out on this one.

As Glenn Gould so CLEARLY, TERSELY, AND LYRICALLY wrote on the liner notes to his version of the Goldberg's,

[i]Briefly, for those who may not be acquainted with this, the story concerns a commission which was tended to Bach by a Count Kaiserling, the Russian ambassador to the Saxon court, who had as his musician-in-service Johann Gottlieb Goldberg, one of the master's most accomplished pupils. Kaiserling, it seems, was frequently troubled with insonia, and requested Bach to write some reposeful keyboards pieces which Goldberg could perform as a soporific. If the treatment was a success we are left with some doubt as to the authenticity of Master Goldberg's rendition of this incisive and piquant score. And though we harbour no illusion as to Bach's workmanlike indifference to the restrictions imposed upon his artist's prerogative, it is difficult to imagine that even Kaiserling's 40 Louis d'or could induce his interest in an otherwise distasteful form.
The most casual acquaintance with this work -- a first hearing, or a brief glance at the score -- will manifest the baffling incongruity between the imposing dimensions of the variations and unassuming Sarabands which conceived them. Indeed, one hears so frequently of the bewilderment which the formal outline of this piece engenders among the uninitiated who become entangled in the luxuriant vegetation of the Aria'a familiy tree that it might be expedient to examine more closely the generative root in order to determine, with all delicacy, of course, its aptitude for parental responsibility.

We are accustomed to consider at least one of two prerequisites indispensable to an Aria for variations, -- a theme with a melodic curve which veritably entreats ornamentation, Though there are abundant examples of the former procedure from the Renaissance to the present day, it flourishes through the theme-and-elaborative-variation concept of the roccoco. The later method, which, by stimulating linear inventiveness, suggests a certain analogy with the passacaille style of reiterated bass progression, is strikingly portrayed by Beethoven's 32 variations in C minor. 

However, the vast majority of significant contributions to this form cannot be accurately allotted to either of these general classifications, which, to be sure rather describe the extremities of the working premise of the variation idea wherein the coalescence of these qualities constitutes the real challenge to the composer's inventive power.[/i]

Clearly a soporific should NOT be used as a locker room anthem whereas Brandenburg #5 not only uses 7 instruments (suggesting teamwork to the Goldberg's singular use of the harpsichord) but because it is a concerto it has 2 - count 'em - 2 allegro sections! That gets the blood pumping man.

dont worry be happy

"Suggesting teamwork"? Pshah to you and your polyphonic madness. No wonder the team hasn't been able to gel for the last three years, if they've been listening to all-over-the-map stuff like #5. If you're lookin' for teamwork, you need the Variations. In the words of the great Douglas Hofstadter:

Now that is a teamwork tune.

Nice choice going for the German, all of them are pretty good especially Ich Will and Feur Frei. Oomph has some good ones too. Augen Auf and Das letzte steichholz are very good.

Is there ANY better music to get your blood boiling than angry German goth/industrial/metal?

Is there ANY better music to get your blood [b]poinling [/b]than angry German goth/industrial/metal?
I don't know... as far as I know my blood has never poinled. :)

...but it sounds like you're talking about Wagner!

I like Sh Boom by the Crew Cuts!

or

Or some of the arias from West Side Story

Now there's some music to get your toes tapping, however, I do like mark's choice of Branenburg #5 as well.

On the other hand, there is other German music like Ramstein "Du Hast" as proposed by
sigpig which could have the teams goose stepping on to the field during introductions.

Lightning Strikes -- Aerosmith
Twilight Zone -- Golden Earring
Psalm 69 -- Ministry
Back in Black -- AC/DC
Cult of Personality -- Living Colour
Communication Breakdown -- Led Zeppelin
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) -- Hendrix

Oski Wee Wee,

How about "Green Onions" by Booker T and the MG's? Remember that scene in The Sandlot when the two teams face off in the park...possibly one of the best showdown riffs ever written.

Thanks Mark!

Guns n' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle