Live play by play of Trestman presser in Chicago

Asked about why he wrote the book

1- had six months off with nothing to do (Yeah we know)
2-Did it to review his career and combine it with a speaking engagement business
3-Surge in book sales (Sammy Garza bought one online at two am ) Humor...

What is his commitment to Bear fans

Goal is to Hold the trophy by working every day, every moment is the most important thing right now. Winning the day theme talked about..

Asked about what pieces he needs...

People aren't pieces (respectfuly)

Talks about media.. respects that they are the fans conduit but relationship must be in the best interest of the team. Tells players that you can not use the media to your personnal advantage.

Press would like to ask specifics Marc trying to get away from that.

Asked about injury reports...

His responsability is to keep players safe in practice and on game day, but he's not a doctor one and will not divulge things that will put his players at a competitive disadvantage.

How has the NFL game changed in 8 years.

Tightend role changed, more featured in the last few years

Emphasis on attacking/defending the whole field.

End

Marc did well but was somewhat unrecognizable from his demeanor in the CFL.

ESPN guys impressed. More intellectual approach to the game by Phil and Marc. New age cybermetrix replaced by old school, intellectual approach. Don't know if it will translate in wins but excited and encouraged.

Tracksuit Bischoff … :slight_smile:

Well he might give him a quality control job… I’m sure he’ll want to take his “secretary” with him :slight_smile:

and personal chauffeur. :wink:

I thought Trestman was his usual classy self, reminded me of how he was at his book signing. He was very thankful and respectful to the Alouettes and CFL.

The question is if he is too cerebral for a tough town like Chicago used to Mike Ditka and da Bears.

Again I will say that he genuinely enjoyed his Alouette experience, but his ultimate ambition was the NFL. And I`m sure Mr. Wettenhall was fully aware.

Hey Brad left Jennifer for Angelina!

I’d have just moved to Utah :lol: and take them both :cowboy:

He will make Cutler go I’m sure but he faces some challenges. I think the big key will be finding the right Defensive coordinator, the Bears just imroved their offense but they lost two huge pieces on defense in Lovie and Marrinelli judging by his hires on defense in Montreal there is potential risk there. Then his GM has to find build him an offensive line ? Is there room in the cap ? My guess is some of the money on veterans on defense will be redirected to the offense. Same as was done in Montreal…
The third will be his ability to deal with a huge press daily. Its one thing to deal with two or three reporters for five minutes a day in Montreal but it won’t fly in Chicago.

David Haugh ?@DavidHaugh
According to Trestman, there have been a lot of "great questions,‘’ today but still waiting for that great answer. Just sayin’.
Retweeted by Herb Zurkowsky

David Haugh is apparently a Chicago Tribune columnist. Welcome to Chicago Marc.

Since Marc mentioned many times the quality of QB that AC is and would have made it in any league, would he ever consider giving AC a shot in the NFL?

Brutus is going to gut this team further by probably taking Bischoff and maybe even Meyer with him. Thanks, Brutus. Thanks for leaving us with no coaching staff in January. :thdn:

That’s my biggest concern, that Trestman brings in Calvillo to finish his career in a mentor position. AC would have to choose between:

1. A small salary and a brand new coaching staff that likely will be spinning its wheels in Mtl, and
  2. A large salary with a familiar, proven coach and with about 100X the visibility.

If he has has any ambition, he’d pick door number 2. Family might be an issue, but how long does he have in his career? 1 or 2 years maybe…so it’s not a big deal.

I feel I’ve been level headed about the present raid on the Als, but this might put me over the top. I hope Wetenhall puts his foot down if ever Trestman were bold enough to try.

Please Marc, please don’t do it! :frowning:

Turn the page on this hypocrite and his hot air about unity and living in the moment. Let's get a coach who doesn't make a practice of talking out of both sides of his mouth. Also, one who understands what a running back is, and how to hire competent assistants.

[i]Well Trestman is gonna have his hands full with Cutler! Cutler is the anti Calvillo! Cutler is a big baby and has a pissy attitude! Trestman ain’t gonna have too much fun coaching this prima donna. Check out this video to see what awaits Brutus Trestman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF6VBXUwRMs[/i]

Yup, Cutler is not Calvillo, that’s for sure. Trestman is about to find out that his cushy life is over.

I fail to understand your concern here d&p. … I thought we were all agreed that losing Bischoff would be a net gain for the team; addition by subtraction, if you will.

Anyway, the new coach will likely bring in his own staff anyway so I am not at all concerned about Trestman taking some staffers with him.

And, while the timing is not optimal, it’s not all that bad really. While there’s at least a 50/50 chance that Popp will again pick someone that most of us haven’t heard of before (as he did last time and it worked out rather well), there is equally a 50/50 chance that he’ll hire someone with CFL experience, and even though it’s mid-January, there is no shortage of such candidates (Berry, Marshall, Lapolice, Jones. . . ).

Continuity is important. Bischoff was dismal as ST coordinator, but reasonably effective as RB coach.

Anyway, the new coach will likely bring in his own staff anyway so I am not at all concerned about Trestman taking some staffers with him.
What if QB coach Scott Milanovich hadn't been around in 2008 when Trestman came in? I understand the new HC will bring in his own coordinators, but even a few experienced position coaches staying behind would have helped with the transition.
And, while the timing is not optimal, it's not all that bad really. While there's at least a 50/50 chance that Popp will again pick someone that most of us haven't heard of before (as he did last time and it worked out rather well), there is equally a 50/50 chance that he'll hire someone with CFL experience, and even though it's mid-January, there is no shortage of such candidates (Berry, Marshall, Lapolice, Jones. . . ).
True enough. I'm just angry, is all. I doubt Trestman will succeed in Chicago. In fact, I hope he fails. And I hope to God that the next HC is someone for whom the CFL is the top priority, not another opportunistic hypocrite who talks a good game but who bolts at the worst possible time for the CFL team that revived his coaching career.

To a point, but change as well is important.

At this point in the Als’ existence, I think change is preferable to continuity. In the past four seasons, we’ve gone from two Grey Cup appearances to two defeats in the East playoffs. We’re trending downwards.

Our special teams have been abysmal for several seasons. Our defence has deteriorated over the past two seasons. And our offence, Trestman’s specialty, has become stale, one-dimensional, and predictable.

So, on that basis I think that now change is preferable to continuity. Replacing Bishoff as ST coordinator with a pylon would be an upgrade, and replacing him as RB coach should not be too difficult.

When Scott Milanovich went to the Argos, I recall Ben Cahoon saying,on CJAD, that he was the brain behind the offence; may explain why the Als went from first in offensive statistics in 2011 to fourth in 2012; may also explain why Brutus wants Scott in Chicago.

As disciplineandpunish, I don't expect him to be a success in Chicago. I can't wish him to fail,but I won't cry if he does. He won't have Jim Popp,in Chicago. He is a good talker/salesman.

Richard