List of CFL'ers trying for the NFL

Is there a post with a list of who is trying out down south? Thanks.

So far, I have updates on Stevie Baggs and Jerrell Freeman in other threads for the NFL:

[url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74259#p1351085]viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74259#p1351085[/url] [url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60281#p1352577]viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60281#p1352577[/url]

Both LBs have their likely last chance at hand with Freeman his first chance.

Also, other than the overall shortage of QBs and now RBs, there are critical shortages at various positions on various teams more than I can ever remember. Preseason injuries seem to be running rather high including a lot of them for multiple games or for the entire season, with the latter often meaning in reality that after heavy rehabilitation, the sad odds are against the player ever playing as well ever again.

The Packers (RB, LB), Cowboys (OG, WR), Colts (LB, DB, RB), Cardinals (RB, possibly QB), Jets (RB, WR, DB), Redskins (OL,WR) all have extreme needs at various positions for example.

Also any given additional injury at any one of these positions for these teams makes them hardly NFL-calibre any more on that side of the ball. The bad teams this year will look like the goats of past seasons and almost like some college All-Star team full of individual athletes but short on the entire concept of team.

From the Ticats:

• Justin Hickman - Indiannapolis Colts
  • Marcus Thigpen - Miami Dolphins
  • Justin Medlock - Carolina Panthers

Thigpen and (I think) Hickman were entering their option year, both having signed with the Ticats before the new CBA took effect (Thigpen two days before), so if they don't make it in the NFL, they could be back in Black and Gold for the end of the season.

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1280340-new-orleans-saints-latest-news-cuts-preseason-predictions]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1280 ... redictions[/url]

Also ridiculous is the new cut schedule as is notoriously hard to find online. Basically the rosters now are stuffed with up to 90 guys through 27 August. A few cuts have already been made though. On 28 August, the rosters will have up to 80 guys, which is the maximum in camp in the first place in several prior years.

There are basically about 300 more players floating around right now through 27 August than in prior seasons.

Then only on Sunday 2 September do up to 27 more guys receive word of a cut or to be amongst up to 8 on the practice roster.

Up to 8 go on the practice roster, 53 make the roster, and 46 as includes almost always 3 QBs are activated for any given game.

A few of those practice roster guys are swiped by other teams for their rosters too.

There is so much money in the league that the rosters are outright bloated at some positions though short on others, which means there is a whole lot of underperformance on one side of the ball out there but also an awful lot of standing around on the sidelines whether or not in uniform.

Come September, stripping out the injured players, there will be a record number of at least 1000 free agent or practice roster players not under contract!

By comparison, the NFL rosters in any given week have in aggregate 1696 players!

Only perhaps 38 or so per team actually play in any given game. The rest are all standing around during games most of the season but getting paid well for it plus are in their top physical shape.

And so for only 8 CFL teams and only 19 imports per team plus the injury shuffling, obviously there is plenty of room to shop though I would think the fits are very limited in mid-season for a new game to many of these available players.

LB Solomon Elimimian had an interception and 2 tackles in his first preseason game for the Vikings.

WR Emmanuel Arceneaux who was on the Vikings roster last season, failed to register a catch.

Not sure about Thigpen, but Hickman is definitely a free agent. There were reports he was coming West to Regina with Chamblin if he didn't go South. He went South.

Thanks for the info.

Thigpen is definitely in his option year. A few of us were surprised that he was allowed to head south after only two years, knowing that the option year rules had changed with the latest CBA. But then we saw that he had signed two or three days before the new rule took effect, so was still subject to the old rule. Sigh. Although, not sure how they would have squeezed him onto the roster with all the other import talent. Might not have seen Walker this year....

A lot of the top players going from the CFL to the NFL this season have been generally been signed to make the teams or at the very least start on the practice roster so it is doubtful that Thigpen among the others mentioned here will be back in the CFL this season. Medlock was also signed for the chance to win a job against Mare. if per chance mare wins out Medlock may find himself being swept up by another team un happy with their kicker. NFL teams consider him a legit NFL Kicker so unless he just bombs miserably he will most likely not be back in the CFL if released after last cut but rather stick aound the NFL circuit awaiting a call or added to a practice squad for insurance.
Stevie Baggs is a longshot to make a team but his salary reqirements are low so he could be kept around as a sp teamer if he is lucky otherwise a practice squad spot or a UFL signing will most likely be in his future. He just had too good a season last year and the UFL's whole premise is based on signing players like Bagg who are caught in between too hig a salary and age 30 for the CFL but a bubble NFLer. Going to the UFL will not be a bad deal for baggs as a place to play while getting paid. 40k for 8 games including the security that housing will be provided gives players like Baggs the ability to have the UFL place him on a team that will fit both his and their needs.

Hickman
Thigpen
Medlock
will all be in the NFL somewhere this season for sure.
Hickman especially is one of a line of pass rusher that the NFL are scouting from the CFL to fit into D line rotations. There will be more at the end of this season who will garner much NFL attention with their pass rushing ability. NFL teams can never have enough DE/LB pass rushers with the rotation system on the D line being a huge part of the NFL now

and Messam in Miami hasn't gained one yard in rushing yet.

Also isnt Philip Hunt with the Eagles?

eliminian is a definate NFLer for sure. dont expect hime or Hickman to be back any time soon. Hunt also played solid in the eagles D line rotation and I beleive that John Chick had spent a year on the practice roster of the colts but is now producing for another team carolona i think. You can see that the NFL has their focus on these CFL pass rushers due to the pro experince they have gained in the CFL nad the ability to bring them in at a rookie salary rate. The D Line rotation means teams need all d Lineman to almost be starters and that DLineman on Practice rosters will not last long if an injuries should strike the position among NFL teams.
Be prepared for the CFL to be losing some more top Pass rushers when they become free agents

There is a major difference Mikem -- Messam has been seriously hurt awhile and may never be the same back again.

There is no need for the cheap shot, as I am guessing you are taking, on any given player down with serious injury.

I hope Messam makes a comeback in either league, for a running back that size with feet like that comes around perhaps once every five years at most and turns into at least a feature back only about half that time.

Chick is still a Jacksonville Jaguar, but unfortunately he really messed up his knee last year and is still out. It's too bad because he was making an impact.

Ugh. Injuries in football are always ramped but hopefully Chick will be able to come back and play. The NFL has already snagged Hickman as we know and they have been really focused on DL guys to be part of the rotations. Solomon Elimian also will be on a roster. Chick spent a season or so on practice roster but like his injury it dows not take long for teams to snag them up. The NFL seems to have its eyes glued to these CFL players. They come in with 3 seasons of pro experience and are able to pay them a rookie salary so I do not see this trend ending anytime soon.

I just read that Garrett McIntyre's chances to make the NY Jets at linebacker again are looking great.

Here's how he did last year when he started 3 games and played in 13 total in the Jets' 3-4 defense:

[url=http://www.nfl.com/player/garrettmcintyre/2520799/profile]http://www.nfl.com/player/garrettmcinty ... 99/profile[/url] [url=http://www.nfl.com/player/garrettmcintyre/2520799/gamelogs?season=2011]http://www.nfl.com/player/garrettmcinty ... eason=2011[/url]

I believe he plays on the inside on defense along with some special teams.

And it looks like again Phillip Hunt will make the Eagles' final roster at DE at only 6-0.

Hunt must be so quick with his feet, moves, and off the ball to make that line, as it's one of the best in the NFL in the toughest overall division of defensive lines in the league for years!

http://www.nfl.com/player/philliphunt/89736/profile

Should he ever come back to the CFL, no doubt he'll be most welcome though I sure hope it's not back to Winnipeg.

These two players are opposites in my view. Elimimian is a beast with talent and ability and appears ripe and overdue for the NFL.

Arceneaux in my view is not NFL talent beyond perhaps a practice roster. Somehow he made the Vikings last season, but that team sucked overall anyway and should continue to do so.

If a CFL team wants Arceneaux back, I say great for them and for him but I was not terribly impressed with him in BC and would not want him in Edmonton in favour of other options.

McIntyre is another success story. Playing two years in the Arena league when the quality of player and pay were at a higher pro level. two more years in Hamilton and the Jets were able to use a player with 5 years of pro football experience and pay him a rookies salary last year. The NFL will continue to hit the CFL for such players with the high demand for D Lineman due to the rotation that every pro team uses. Experienced and cheap how can the NFL go wrong. How could a player making a CFL salary go wrong with getting a raise to the now rookie min 390,000 for the NFL.
The CFL is not losing out totally as this is also working in reverse. Players such as korey Sheets, Chad Simpson, Joe Burnett, fred Bennett just to name a few are coming North with 4-5 years of pro experience but have no where on an NFL roster to fit when crunching numbers while also NFL teams need to make room for potential rookie stars.
There is a reason why both these leagues have been able to coexist for all these years as each league has been able to find its niche for talented football players to find work.

Thigpen was the top receiver last night with Miami 3 catches for 40 yards and he had 3 kick returns for 90 Yards.
Probably not returning to Hamilton.
Medlock kicked at 49 yard FG and a 44 yard FG, no misses
Probably not returning to Hamilton

CFL Steve:

Stevie Baggs is a longshot to make a team but his salary reqirements are low so he could be kept around as a sp teamer if he is lucky otherwise a practice squad spot or a UFL signing will most likely be in his future. He just had too good a season last year and the UFL's whole premise is based on signing players like Bagg[s] who are caught in between too [b]ig a salary and age 30 for the CFL but a bubble NFLer. Going to the UFL will not be a bad deal for Baggs as a place to play while getting paid. 40k for 8 games including the security that housing will be provided gives players like Baggs the ability to have the UFL place him on a team that will fit both his and their needs.
And it looks like Baggs is not going to make the Ravens: [url=http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19896012/ravens-projected-roster-getting-to-53]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-r ... ting-to-53[/url]