Lirim Hajrullahu still making the rounds

I was thinking the EXACT same thing; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WmTsLO-hUI

So much for any hopes of having Lirim back for the playoffs.

Cowboys sign Canadian kicker Lirim Hajrullahu with Greg Zuerlein in COVID protocol

He may not last too long in Dallas; as NFL teams tend to cut kickers after they miss a couple of kicks; especially those not established in the NFL.

But we should wish him all the best and hopefully he gets a decent contract.

1 Like

FOR 100% sure as soon as Zuerlein is out of COVID protocol Lirim will be back on the street. But what this says is Lirim is next man up south of the border and not likely to return.

1 Like

Lirim's not only signed but he will get to play:

Whatā€™s a game day check worth in the NFL? Minimum salary is $660,000. Does it get prorated equally for 17 games? If so then $38,823 per game, not bad money for a few kicks.

If he can get two games in heā€™s ahead of where he would have been for playing a whole CFL season.

Sad but true and in US $

He beat out Brett Mahar for the position.

Haj was never a realistic option but the idea there's not an opportunity to explore kickers that occupy the two extremes between him and Bertolet is incredible.

Its been a brutal year for kicking in the CFL. Camacho missing 3 late FG's against the Argos including a 32 yard chip shot game winner and then Ward, considered one of the best kickers in the league missing 3 against Toronto again.

6 kickers are over 86%

All of the teamsā€™ kickers below 86 have benched, cut, or replaced their kickerā€¦ except 1.

This team has pretty much had a revolving door of kickers and punters since Ozzy retired.
We had Nick Setta for a couple of years, then I believe he got injured and wasn't the same. Then Justin Medlock until he priced himself out of town.
After that, it's been a bunch of one-year wonders.

It's almost like it's the team's philosophy to relegate kicking and punting to the bottom of the budget pile...

Lirim is 4 for 4 on PAT at halftime

Likely going to get some looks from more teams if he keeps this up.

1 Like

5-5

Copied from a game summary of Dallas' 43-3 romp over the Falcons:

NFL DEBUT AT 31

Cowboys kicker Lirim Hajrullahu made his NFL debut at age 31 with Greg Zuerlein on the COVID-19 list. Coach Mike McCarthy was worried about the former CFL kicker getting touchbacks with dangerous return man Cordarrelle Patterson lurking. But Hajrullahu put all six of his kickoffs in the end zone and made all five PATS.

1 Like

Wow! Iā€™d give up a kidney to see Lirim back as a TiCat! :laughing:

You might have to give both kidneys. :wink:

On a side note, Iā€™m always amazed at how many kicks in the NFL go for touchbacks. The equivalent in the CFL with the longer field is basically kicking off inside the five yard line. Yet it is more typical to see kicks land between the ten and 15 yard line here. Must have something to do with all the closed end bowl designs in the bigger NFL stadiums that cut down wind.

Part of it is you donā€™t have to direct it just kick down the center of the field. In the CFL you try to direct it outside the hash marks because you know they are going to return it.

2 Likes

NFL kickers are struggling this year . Points after are being missed by almost all teams . Yesterday in the Steeler/Lions game , the Detroit kicker missed a convert and a game winning field goal . Some will say "Yeah but that's the Lions" !
Detroit has access to the same pool of professional kickers as all North American pro teams do and yet they're struggling at that position. The TiCats are not alone . The Ravens and the Steelers have outstanding kickers but many NFL teams are still searching .
If I knew the answer to all the misses , I wouldn't be on this site. I'd be consulting with (name the team) .