Lirim Hajrullahu signs with the Cowboys

Congrats to Lirum

I wonder if the Cats coaching staff is sincerely satisfied with these new kickers?

Lirim appears off the table now that he has signed with Dallas but another option might be Sergio Castillo. If his NFL tryouts don't pan out then Cats should pursue him. He knows the winds around here and would solve at least some of the teams's problems.

2 Likes

Bertolet missed a 53 yarder by about 3 feet and it had plenty of leg on it. 0/2 both beyond 50, you gotta give him a chance.

2 Likes

Sergio can do all the kicking jobs which is a big plus. I prefer him to Lirim even without the Canadian birth certificate.

Sergio had a great year in Hamilton, and followed up with a video game season in BC kicking successfully 41 in 45 attempts.
Castillo also averaged 45.1 yards a punt in 93 attempts in Hamilton.

1 Like

It didn't last long ....

He is a good plug and play guy for an NFL team.
Experienced and can be solid in the event of an injury or poor performance.

I am pretty sure he will get another kick at the NFL.

/groan/
How many teams have passed on him now? Same with Maher and Castillo? How long will these guys continue to roll the loaded NFL dice when they could be making easy money (and actual recent game film) up here?

2 Likes

You would think that this is it for him, he has bounced around the NFL for a couple of years. Likely back in the CFL soon

2 Likes

Does it really have to be explained to you? Signing those contracts all over make them lots of money. Certainly you're not that out of touch.

2 Likes

$800K US funds vs $75K Cdn funds....hmmmmmm

My /groan/ comment was in reply to the absolutely horrible pun.

Aside from game film that's over two years old, those kickers haven't been able to stick to a single team for a single complete season, so they can't really show off their capabilities. Could it be a bias against CFL kickers?

2 Likes

They are usually brought in to replace the injured veteran kicker, that's what happened in Dallas. The veteran kicker gets better and the replacement gets the boot. When he was let go by the Chargers they went with the younger kicker.

1 Like

I am not overly familiar with NFL salary structures.

Would Lirim have made more money than in the CFL by bouncing around at these various NFL tryout camps and practice roster signings?

Or is he making a pittance but just gambling that eventually he catches on full time with an NFL team? Obviously then it would be a nice, sizable salary that would require him to play several CFL seasons to match.

LH signed a very good deal with Hamilton in 2019.
With the cdn funds, short season and cutbacks he is far further ahead financially doing what he is doing.
PR NFL players are $8,400.00/week. That is $10K Cdn.
Lirum signed in 2019 for $145,000.00
He would be resigned at a much lower base with the shorter season and cutback.
Lirim Hajrullahu signed a 3 year deal earning $2,285,000 playing for the Los Angeles Rams, including an average annual salary of $761,667. This is what he is chasing again.

3 Likes

Iceman1. Thank you kindly for that explanation.

It makes sense then to pursue the NFL cash.

None of his signings with NFL teams have had guaranteed money. His total cap hit from NFL teams is $8400. Lirim Hajrullahu Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap
He would also have been payed camp salary of $800 to $1600 a week and per diem.

1 Like

That link you provided is interesting. According to that site he has only made $8400 for all of his NFL tryouts. If that is accurate then I don't know how he can support his family.

He better come back to the CFL then.

1 Like

The link only shows Salary Cap Money, he would have also got paid for days he was in various training camps. He should still just come back to Hamilton, but it's hard to give up the dream of those 7 figure contracts.

1 Like

More people win state lotteries in a year than there are Super Bowl or Grey Cup Champions. I occasionally buy tickets, but I still have an every-day job.

1 Like

In 2020 he had everything to gain and nothing to lose. I think he will try to bounce around the NFL the first few weeks of the season in case any kickers crap the bed or get injured. If he can’t land anything expect to see him back somewhere in the CFL by late September.

1 Like