Lions Win in Torrential Rain in Edmonton

Permit me a few unrelated thoughts, after the Lions' underwater win against Edmonton.

How unlucky are the Eskimos, to play in this kind of conditions two weeks in a row? That team takes too many penalties and doesn't make enough plays on either side of the ball to win consistently. While they still have time to turn it around, going to 1-3 after this week's tilt against BC would be a big hole to have to fight themselves out of. This could be another long season for Edmonton fans and that could cost Kavis Reed his job..

Our new kick returner, Korey Williams, really got chewed out by Coach Bene after one botched punt return. Given how poorly Williams has looked for the second week in a row, will Tim Brown be back next week? Or will Isi Sofele — currently parked and making a lousy $400 per week on the practice roster — get a chance against Edmonton this Saturday under the dome? We're still seeing special team problems in week three of the regular season. Two O'Neill punts blocked, two weeks in a row, due to poor blocking by the blocking backs, inconsistent long snaps and less than ideal holds on place kick attempts. Clearly special teams coordinator Chuck McMann has extra heat under his collar this week.

Can't say enough good things about the Lions D, who absolutely dominated Reilly, hurrying, chasing and forcing the Edmonton QB to try to make plays with his feet.

What a game by Travis Lulay,! He made enough plays through the air and with his feet to win the ballgame in the second half. That despite being forced to look for third and fourth reads for virtually the whole night. How much better can this guy get? The block he threw on a Harris running play made the whole BC sideline jump for joy.

This week's return match against Edmonton will be a lot more of a track meet, compared to the sliding and rooster-tailing that went on all game in Edmonton. You wonder how much, if anything, BC's coaches will change in the offensive and defensive game plans. Pretty sure Edmonton will have a few new wrinkles.

Not sure how much I like these back-to-back series. While it probably makes preparation during the week a bit easier for coaches and players, you wonder whether it has a negative affect on attendance at the second game.

Other than football fans who live in the Nation's capitol, does anybody even remotely think the name RedBlacks is any good? What's wrong with going back to being the Renegades, a name I think a lot of fans in Ottawa really liked? Their jerseys will still be coloured the traditional Ottawa red and black; isn't that enough.

Maybe Braley should change BC's name to the OrangeWhites.

-Dooger in Surrey :lol:

Sorry guys, I made a mistake above. I was Marc o Iannuzzi who was sprung by Lulay's block, not Harris. -Dooger

"While they still have time to turn it around, going to 1-3 after this week's tilt against BC would be a big hole to have to fight themselves out of. This could be another long season for Edmonton fans and that could cost Kavis Reed his job.."

Yep...it would be but not as big as the hole the Lions dug themselves into in 2011. 0-5! Of course we know what happened that year. :rockin:

"Our new kick returner, Korey Williams, really got chewed out by Coach Bene after one botched punt return. Given how poorly Williams has looked for the second week in a row, will Tim Brown be back next week? Or will Isi Sofele — currently parked and making a lousy $400 per week on the practice roster — get a chance against Edmonton this Saturday under the dome? We're still seeing special team problems in week three of the regular season. Two O'Neill punts blocked, two weeks in a row, due to poor blocking by the blocking backs, inconsistent long snaps and less than ideal holds on place kick attempts. Clearly special teams coordinator Chuck McMann has extra heat under his collar this week."

I was disappointed in Tim Brown's ability to consistently net valuable return yardage. I'm not expecting him to always break every return wide open but watching him run back punt returns was getting as boring as watching paint dry. Korey Williams has been equally disappointing in my books so far.

"Can't say enough good things about the Lions D, who absolutely dominated Reilly, hurrying, chasing and forcing the Edmonton QB to try to make plays with his feet."

Ditto, ditto, ditto! :rockin:

What a game by Travis Lulay,! He made enough plays through the air and with his feet to win the ballgame in the second half. That despite being forced to look for third and fourth reads for virtually the whole night. How much better can this guy get? The block he threw on a Harris running play made the whole BC sideline jump for joy.

And to think the officials asked the Lions bench to simmer down! Shame on them! :thdn:

This week's return match against Edmonton will be a lot more of a track meet, compared to the sliding and rooster-tailing that went on all game in Edmonton. You wonder how much, if anything, BC's coaches will change in the offensive and defensive game plans. Pretty sure Edmonton will have a few new wrinkles.

I think we're going to see a different game Dooger. The weather will not be a factor at all. I think this weeks match up will tell us a whole lot about where the Lions are heading.

Not sure how much I like these back-to-back series. While it probably makes preparation during the week a bit easier for coaches and players, you wonder whether it has a negative affect on attendance at the second game.

I'm expecting 30,000+ this Saturday. That's pretty good by Lions attendance standards.

Other than football fans who live in the Nation's capitol, does anybody even remotely think the name RedBlacks is any good? What's wrong with going back to being the Renegades, a name I think a lot of fans in Ottawa really liked? Their jerseys will still be coloured the traditional Ottawa red and black; isn't that enough.

RedBlacks is about as useless a name as it can get. Someone must have been drunk to pick that name. I still do not believe that is the name they are going with. It would be a total joke in my opinion.

Maybe Braley should change BC's name to the OrangeWhites."

Nah...OrangeBlacks! And give everyone a bag of orange and black jellybeans at the gate! :rockin:

Beag, the Eskies may not be in the kind of hole the Lions were in 2011, but look at that team critically.

No proven veteran at quarterback, their number 1 QB )Matt Nichols ) gone for at least nine weeks, one consistently effective player on offense (Hugh Charles), 0-2 at home, only 51 point scored in three games, average D and special teams. Both their offensive and defensive lines were re-tooled in the offseason, so they will need time to gel. Their head coach was at the point of hysterics last week, literally asking the referee to penalize the BC sideline for over celebration after the Lulay block that sprung Ianuzzi for a good gain. Having your head coach freaking out tends to rub off on your players. The good news is, after the BC game on Saturday, they'll go on the road to play Montreal, then home to Hamilton, about as easy as their schedule will get all year.

The 3-0 Riders, featuring Cory Sheets, are playing really well. The injured Darian Durant is a question mark this week, so backup QB Drew Willy might have a challenging outing against Hamilton in Mosaic. Calgary is hummin' along at 2-1, despite losing Drew Tate...again. They play the Alouettes at McMahon this week, about as close as you can get to a can't lose game. BC is now looking really dominant on defense and improving offensively. Once they get their kick returns and punt blocking straightened out, they'll be very hard to beat. No sports reporter I've heard or read this week is calling for an upset Saturday night under the dome.

By the way, these three western teams are also the only ones who've scored more points than they've given up.

Edmonton doesn't have to get much farther behind to be all-but out of the western conference playoff picture by the end of September, although Montreal and Hamilton are so bad this year that Edmonton might get the crossover and play in the eastern semifinal. I am unconvinced that Mike Reilly will make Edmonton any better this season than Steven Jyles did in 2012.

Dooger in Surrey :cowboy:

You've analyzed it well Dooger. You're probably right. If no upset this Saturday let's hope Edmonton leaves B.C. Place very upset. Heheheee. :rockin: