Lions Stamps GDT

Cheer up. We get the Bombs next week. :smiley:

In watching the highlights at about 5:20, I noticed a play in the second half by the Stamps for which Mitchell went play action and rolled right to complete a pass to #65 to the right, who is a lineman for Calgary.

When watching the play over and over, it looked to me like #65 was lined up in the tackle position on the right and not in the uncommon the tight end position in the CFL.

But I did notice there was no receiver on the line outside of #65 on the right either. Outside of him was a slot receiver.

But what did I miss? How could #65 be a receiver on that play?

I noticed on the left side of the line there was a guy lined up at tight end, but he did not go downfield and outside of him on the left was a receiver on the line anyway.

It's interesting to note the difference from the NFL, in which said lineman who is wearing any jersey numbered 60 to 79 would have to report as an eligible receiver before the play and that report is also announced by the official.

But how is #65 eligible to be a receiver on that play anyway? Is it because he was the end?

If so, that was a cool trick play of sorts.

Article 4 — Eligibility Of Receiver

The following players are eligible receivers:

any Team A player who is identified by number as an eligible receiver (see Rule 4, Section 5, Article 3, Note 1 & Rule 6, Section 4, Article 4, Note 2) and who, at the snap of the ball, is occupying a position either at the end of the line of scrimmage or in the backfield at least one yard back of the line of scrimmage.
any player of Team B, whether or not the pass is legally thrown.</blockquote>

I believe he would still have to report as eligible.

Pretty much the same rule in the CFL.

So seven players on the line, and the two outside players are potentially eligible receivers. The other five are ineligible, no matter what numbers they’re wearing, although there are also some bizarre rules around eligible numbered players lining up at an ineligible position, who also have to report in.

The list only seems to come into play on first or second down kicking plays in the last minute of a quarter. Very, very specific. As I said, bizarre.