Lions release veteran receiver Dominique Rhymes

VANCOUVER — The BC Lions have announced on Wednesday they have released former All-Star wide receiver Dominique Rhymes.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/17/lions-release-veteran-receiver-dominique-rhymes

ouch. should have kept him until training camp to see what else we had on the roster.

1 Like

Double ouch. I thought he had a couple more great years in him. At least the Lions have Hatcher and Hollins.

2 Likes

I expect the Lions to look quite a bit different in 2024. This was a bit of a surprise but it tells me that MAYBE they take a run @ Oliveira. They won a lot of games without a run game to speak of in '23. Does this bode for a switch to a more balanced attack? IMO I thought Whitehead would be the one on the block. With Hatcher out with an achilles injury for at least half the year, his salary doesn’t count vs the CAP & Lions have freed up a lot of salary. WR’s? They’ll need to fill a couple of spots but that’s a position which usually have an abundance in FA.

I’m quite excited to see how the Lions fill out the roster.

1 Like

PS - Oliveira in orange would be a double whammy as it hurts the Bombers. The odds are IMO that Wpg will get him signed but at what price?

They already know what they have.

Some of the receivers are new to BC so I disagree.

Yep. But again if it was me I wouldn’t be worried about the cap when the Lions are hosting.

From a Lion to a Ti Cat Lol

1 Like

Not arguing the fact that it’s a salary dump. Just saying what I would do in the situation. If I was 2 or 3 hundred thousand over the cap, I wouldn’t care because the cap is calculated at the end of the year. There are going to be players that are going to hit the six game injured list and they aren’t going to count towards the cap. Last time I checked I’m allowed to express my opinion.

I was just replying to your first comment saying they should have kept him until training camp to see what else was on the roster. You should have just posted this whacked comment from the start.

1 Like

It’s not a whacked comment though. The CFL has a very soft cap and there are very little consequences to going over it. Many teams have gone over the cap.

True some teams have no ethics, cheat to win. Teams are required to provide regulary scheduled updates on compensation levels at the 6th, 12th and 18th game in the season to the league. 2023 Bombers were fined $64,499. That is costly for any team in cfl.

it’s not cheating if everyone can legally do it.

2 Likes

[quote=“Tedtanium1976, post:17, topic:90389”]

it’s not cheating if everyone can legally do it.

[/qu But it's not,

It gets more serious if you are more than $100k over the cap, I believe? I think you have to start forfeiting draft picks and such. I’m no cap expert, though, so I could be wrong.

2 Likes

I believe you are right about that issue. However, in training camp it doesn’t matter how much you are over the cap. We had a situation with Kongbo last year where we acquired him and it didn’t work out. As you probably heard Lions signed 3 new WR’s. I would make decisions based on what I’m seeing in front of me when everyone is relatively healthy.

After their training camp cuts we would have a better idea of what is going on. It’s important that the Lions get past Winnipeg to be in the Grey Cup for 2024. Vancouver is not a football town. Amar is not going to make too much money if the Lions aren’t in it. He’s already spent money on a bid for the game.

1 Like

Based on what I’m seeing, I’m sure Rhymes asked for his release. You don’t get an offer 1 day after you’re released normally unless your agent had been in contact with another team. Just my opinion. This new news has altered my opinion.

2 Likes

Rhymes still had his home in Ottawa & my understanding is he was asked to restructure his contract & refused. Thus a mutual parting of the ways.

I’m sure what you’re saying is true, but I think that there was some discussion during the winter meetings in Nashville as well. Ottawa has done some business with the Lions in the past ie) Terry Williams and Bob Dyce’s son works with the Lions. Rick Campbell also used to work in Ottawa as you know.

I think they had a couple of beers, complained about their issues and the Lions most likely gave permission to Ottawa to speak to Rhymes. Ottawa has recently gotten Masoli to restructure and acquired the rights to Dru Brown. I’m sure they are under pressure to get out of the CFL basement in the east. Rhymes was given a guaranteed contract according to the story which is very rare in this situation.

1 Like