Lions over the cap?

Where did I say they werent one of the top teams?

You didn't for the second time. Going over the cap was required to cover the injuries why are you so defensive?

The cap was brought in to promote parity in the league, to prevent the richer teams from signing all the best players and knocking the poorer teams out of contention. The amount of the cap was determined after examining each team’s books and deciding upon an amount that every team can afford without undue hardship.

If all have decided that they are willing to pay more, then they should raise the cap, because that means that the current limit is not in line with the salaries of the players.

But if only one or two teams – or even seven – are over, then the cap should stay where it is, and the appropriate fines should be levied.

The Lions feel they will be at or slightly over the league's $4.05-million 2007 salary allotment, though the figure is still subject to a league audit to be announced by commissioner Mark Cohon in April.

Looks like 2007 to me.

I would bet they will stick to it regardless the number of teams over. If they did not they would then send a message the SMS is not worth keeping and it becomes a maybe. They could change it for the next season though and that would be possible. But for the last season even with 8 teams over they should stick with what they proposed.
By the way BigDave thanks for your hard work in the forum this year. Merry Xmas to you and your family!

Ok, what did you mean when you said to me

“Jman they were one of the top two for salaries other teams did not have to cut that much. Also this was at the start of the season. The riders had 23 more players on the roster due in part to injuries. BC had 11 and most of the others had 8 and few under that number. But the point being injuries are a major reason for going over. Some teams had cap room and the riders were at the start of the season a bit over or close to the cap. It does not matter. There may be a few more it just has not been announced by the media yet. I guess in a few weeks the cfl will announce the SMS.”

Okay where did I say you stated that. I was telling you that is what happened not that you said it. :lol: :lol: :lol: (Cue twilight zone music)

Sorry, that’s what I meant to say…that if everyone is over, they should adjust it for the following year.
(I realize I muddied that up by saying that “the appropriate fines should be levied”, as that implies that no fines should be levied if all teams are over.)

Thank you…and to you! :smiley:

I would imagine that the cap will increase as revenue increases. Usually players associations only agree to caps that are reflective of revenue, I seem to recall that the CFL Players Association signed off on the cap with this understanding (no, I do not have a link, if I get the time I will try and find something).

The fact is that the league is touting how well it is doing, so I suspect there will be pressure on the cap.

As for the number of team over the cap this year, I suspect that we will find that most teams will be flirting with this. Yes, many teams were able to use the 2006 loophole, but I still think we will see others join BC and Saskatchewan.

I agree, I hope that the mimimum salary goes up if revenues warrant, not just the star players.

With the new deal from TSN coming into effect next season. I think it is quite logical the cap will rise to around 4.5 mil. The teams will be handed a little under a million more next year from TSN then they received this year. I believe the players get approximately 53% of revenues. So you would think the cap will go up by 400,000 anyway. We still don't know how much the CFL receives for their CFL broadcasts in the US.
But the league seems to finally be in good shape which is good news.

I am sure I would call this much of a problem for Saskatchewan. Because between the Free Agents they decided not to resign, the individuals who left as result of NFL Option deals, and Joseph’s agreement to cut the salary, I suspect they were well past the $700K mark before Feb 15.

Here is a conservative quick list
Joseph $125K cut
Bush $100K not resigned
Morgan $100K not resigned
Richardson $100K+ not resigned left as free agent
Keith $150K left to NFL under option deal

Of these, based on what has been disclosed this year only Morgan was considered worth pursueing.

Here is a list of other moves made before training camp:
Mitchell - cut
Davis - traded
Greene - traded
Dorsey - traded
Bulter - traded

Between all of these guys who have left, the riders had more then enough room to move around the cap. Every team had to make cuts to ensure they ended up below the cap.

I suspect the Riders and BC will not be the only ones over the cap amount. Most teams, were likely at or close to the $4.05 M cap. The only team that stated they were significantly below it was Hamilton. Therefore if the only option not to count injury salary against the cap is to put someone on the 9 game injury list then. I suspect there are going to be more teams.

I think it wasnt including Bush, Morgan or Richardson… Because they were FAs… Unless I was wrong, but even then, thats still a lot of cap clearing