Lions' off-season change sparks an interesting roster

CFL.ca presents ‘Off-Season Depth Chart’, a series of articles reviewing every team’s depth chart at is stands to date. Note that these are not official team-issued depth charts, but projections based on insight and analysis from around the league, and don’t include 2022 CFL Draft picks.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/05/13/lions-off-season-change-sparks-an-interesting-roster/

It appears receiver Thomas won't be coming & I thought I heard that David Mackie won't either. My biggest question on the offence, outside of QB, is RB. Is Butler the real deal? Are Lions going to commit to the run?

Size wise under the new CFL field with the hash marks, we may be evolving to, essentially, 2 nickelback positions. In fact I've heard a new term for the WIL position - SPUR LB - a hybrid of LB & Safety. In Lokombo & Williams the Lions basically have 2 guys of MIKE size. It will be interesting how things play out this year around the league.

1 Like

What happened to Wayne Moore (RB)? I didn't see him listed. Not that I have/had big expectations, but I was curious to see how he would work out in camp.

The big issue is #51 Godber, a holding gaff waiting to happen. He's not good enough. Poor Rourke.

Ah, it is Wayne Moore reportedly not coming back, not David Mackie as I mentioned above. I believe it was reported by one of the insiders.

Thanks for the update. It's too bad, though good that Mackie is still around. I'm hoping that their future running attack involves handing the ball off to a running back who is actually moving and not standing still. I take it that is still legal in the CFL. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lokombo played safety for the Als. I don’t think we've gotten to the point where we need to go after smaller linebackers for the WLB position, just yet.

Here we go. Moore officially released today along with Harker as the cuts begin.

Sure hope you're wrong about Thomas not coming in. He would be a huge add as a kick returner and a change of pace RB, Check out his highlights on YouTube; he's incredibly dynamic

I love whats going on here. BC needed to clean house a few years ago. New ownership makes it easy,

Running game was pretty much non existent last season so that needs fixed.

Post draft Jones in Edm. was talking about the changes the hash marks make to linebackers. Basically - no more Will and Sam, both outside linebacker's need the same skill set because there really won't be a short side of the field.

I am guessing that's Harker completely done?

I doubt he has gained enough playing experience to qualify as "desperation emergency backup" in case teams need to sign one?