Lions Losing Fans...

Look. I love Wally Buono and the Lions but once again this week against Calgary they make a crucial mistake regarding TV coverage. On my Shaw cable it says that the game is televised on TSN (23) and the NFL network(150) but that is not true. It's only broadcast on TSNHD which few people have or care to have. You've seriously p*ssed a lot of fans off.....again. There are a lot of other sports on TV that are televised one way or the other. I don't care what you keep saying about "bums in the seats" you're not getting my bum ! Give it free to build your fan base or give us the option of PPV but to not offer it at all except on some obscure extra package plan is bad marketing. Sorry Travis, Geroy and the boys. I love you but I've had it with the CFL. Good thing hockey and the NFL are just getting going. The CFL is destined to be a backwater league filled with NFL wannabes. And if you don't think it's that lame I'll give you a Budget Brake & Muffler first down. Ridiculous !!!

You post is just funny. i'm not watching it on HD. it was very easy to find the game on the TV

Where are you watching the game?

I am watching usa college football instead.

I blame BELL Media for this.

I am going to go dump my bell phone and go to wind mobile.

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

You joined the forum today just to post that. Buck up for TSNHD and watch all the games. Seriously, you're a sports fan who doesn't have this channel??????

There should be more warning about local blackout ahead of time. Otherwise blackouts make sense. Since CFL derive most revenue from paid attendance, limiting TV viewing might actually increase revenue. CFL is under no obligation to provide free viewing. If all games are free to watch, why bother to attend games?

On that Note.....where the Hell....were "YOU" and the rest of your "FLAG WAVING" CFL Fans , at Last Nights Game??
The "NEW" Stadium was an Embarrassment.......with it being TOMB like, "AGAIN".... from the lack of "FAN SUPPORT"!
"IF"?..........the CFL was the GREAT Organization LOL and the Greatest Game played LOL, as Beagle, so Proudly states that it is...LOL......the "Brand NEW" BC Place Stadium ...would have been "SOLD OUT" ( Not Half EMPTY) for a FIRST Place Battle with the present FIRST PLACE Team......in the Worlds Greatest League! LOL
The "FACT" that the "NEW" BC Place Stadium was half Empty........is a Testiment tot he FACT.......that NO ONE....gives Two S%#TS about this "SEMI PRO" League!
Hey........there is no dening thta the Game was a GREAT Game to actually "BE AT".....as "WE" were!
But......I have been to some GREAT Little League Games and some unbelievable Rep Hockey Games as well.......but....just because, the games were GREAT to Watch......that doesn't make those Little League Games or those Rep Hockey Games.......any less Amateur than the CFL is!
The "NEW" Stadium being half EMPTY.........when the HOME Team is playing the FIRST PLACE Team for "FIRST PLACE"......says it ALL.......about your "SEMI PRO" League! LOL
You supposed "PRETEND" Football Fans...are really Pathetic to say the least!
I am a Big Fan of Sports.......I am a Fan of Football....... whether that be "Real" Football...... "American" and "Canadian" College Football.... "Semi Pro" Football ......."Junior" Football........"Minor" Football, but each level of Football has it's own appeal.
Just because I happen to think ( As well as others do) that the CFL is a Minor League Program and a "Semi - Pro" League at Best.........I am still a Fan of "FOOTBALL".....whether it be the NFL or a Semi Pro game!
My Point is........"IF".......the CFL was such a GREAT Game????..........LOL........then.......WHY?????.....was the game not on TSN Regional ......"YOUR" own "NUMBER ONE" Sports Net Work in Cana DUH.....last night??? LOL
TSN chose, to Televise a MAJOR League "Baseball" Game instead, of Televising a "SEMI PRO" Match Up between Two "SEMI PRO" teams playing in a "SEMI Pro" League.........for "FIRST Place"? LOL
A "Major League" Baseball game........Bumped Off.......a "Semi Pro" Football Game .....of your "NUMBER ONE" Football Network! LOL
Now.......THOSE are the FACTS!
The Stadium........was HALF EMPTY! LOL
It was Hilarious to come home, to recap the game on our PVR......to see instead, the Major League Baseball Game on our PVR!
Just goes to show, what TSN really thinks, of the Worlds Great Sports Organization, and the Worlds Great Sport! LOL
Backer@Empire

A good reason why BC Place is half empty is that the stadium is TOO BIG with seating capacity of over 50,000. Average attendance of 25-30,000 is normal and profitable for BC Lions. With new stadiums, attendance usually return to normal in the long run.

For business reasons, not all games can be televised. Local blackouts encourage customers to buy tickets the main source of revenue for CFL teams.

With new stadiums, attendance usually return to normal in the long run.

You are absolutely Right, about Attendance dropping off in a "NEW STADIUM".....but......after ONLY "One Game"???
The Fact....that the Stadium was Half Empty after just one game, is a pretty Strong indicator of the Popularity of the CFL and of the game itself.
The Lions were playing for First Place...against the FIRST Place team!
WTF?
There was NO Canuck game on TV or any other NHL Game of Value to watch, yet.......the Game and the Stadium drew No Better than a Half Empty building.
That says it ALL......about the Popularity of the CFL!

For business reasons, not all games can be televised. Local blackouts encourage customers to buy tickets the main source of revenue for CFL teams.

Once again.....I totally Agree.
But......whether or not, the game was SOLD Out or not.....you would still think......that a Game being played for FIRST Place and being Played in a Brand New Stadium.....that the Worlds Greatest Sport and the Worlds Greatest League and the Worlds Greatest TV Network LOL.....would make sure.......that every Single Canadian Football Fan, who was not watching the other Major League Games like the MLB World Series or the NHLs Hockey Night in Canada, which was being Played in "CALGARY" LOL for FREE on everyones TVs .........that TSN would go out of their way......to Televise the Worlds GREATEST LEAGUE and Sport for the 3 or 4 CFL Fans to watch for FREE........at home? LOL
The CFL is just a Second Rate Production at Best!
Even TSN.....( The CFL Network) ..thinks so! LOL

Most Canuck games are free on TV so there's no reason most CFL games can't be free. Historically they always were. I'll ignore that claptrap of having to have HD TV if you're a REAL sports fan.....yawn. But the CFL or the Lions better get it's act together on the blackout. If there's going to be a blackout then offer the game on PPV. It was ridiculous that Shaw had the game scheduled on 2 channels in the basic package but when you went there it was pool. Ridiculous and unprofessional. If the Lions want a full stadium maybe they should reduce the seats available to 21000 like the Whitecaps. Bonehead management !!!

First of all, games are ALWAYS subject to local blackout. Tune in before the game starts and you'll see that notice - nothing new to anyone except you apparently. Secondly, yeh, reduce seats to less than your average attendance, that makes brilliant business sense.

I’m not sure why anyone would suggest the Lions franchise is losing fans. Any crowd over 30,000 has already exceeded the Lions average since the team’s inception, including “average” turn out per game in B.C. Place which stands at about 29,000.

What is more interesting is that if the Edmonton game and Calgary game had taken place at Empire Field during the past couple of weeks both games would have been sold out and they’d be turning fans away. I can’t see how the Lions are losing fans.

Ok, so I asked around regarding the blackout:

Prior to moving to Empire, when a game at BC Place was blacked out it would still show up on the TV listings in case they hit their 'target' and decide to lift the blackout.

Or you could just come to the game - There's no way that game winning FG felt the same on TV as it did live.

Actually, the Lions have had over 40,000 average 5 times in the 80's/90's.

The peak season being 1986 where they drew an average of 46,526
(lowest ever average was in 1998 at 16,217 modern day)

On a year by year basis Tangleweb, that is true. I'm talking about the LIons average annual attendance from 1954 through 2009.
Annual attendance combined and divided by number of seasons. At least that is according to the info on the website. The figures on the site say, approximately 27, 000 averaged over the the entire Lions history and approximately 29,000 averaged out since 1983 at B.C. place.

On a year by year basis Tangleweb, that is true. I'm talking about the LIons average annual attendance from 1954 through 2009. Annual attendance combined and divided by number of seasons. At least that is according to the info on the website. The figures on the site say, approximately 27, 000 averaged over the the entire Lions history and approximately 29,000 averaged out since 1983 at B.C. place.
Gotcha beaglehound. :thup: If the Lions field a good team next season, they will likely have a very good average adjacent with the "new" stadium. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35,000-40,000 I would imagine.

That would make the owner and the Lions very happy I should think. An average of around 40,000 would be incredible. Fielding a good team is key. I've always believed that it's the product on the field that brings in fans. Everyone likes a winner. I think the Lions will always have the core die hard fans who will come out regardless but when the team is strong and has a good chance of winning then that is when the more casual fan is likely to come out knowing the money spent on tickets will be worth it.

I'm against blackouts personally, but if you really want to watch the game, nowadays you can do so online for free. I was a bit disappointed with the only 30000 in attendance but the dome looked great on tv and you couldn't tell there were empty seats.

If the Lions can keep on rolling and have a home playoff game, the dome will be rocking like the good times.

You guys have a great stadium and super organization and a team that is playing well, 40,000 per game should be the norm.

I think us drawing 50,000 the week before, tops in the CFL this year, made it a little hard to come back 6 or 7 days later with 40,000 and the weather was really dark grey, gloomy, and rainy. I don't think anybody wanted to go anywhere. I didn't even really feel like leaving the house to be honest with you but i really wanted to see BC Place too.

What an awesome game to be at regardless. As long as we don't get less than 30,000 and hopefully have all the kinks worked out for October 29th, and the week after are both home games. If we can do another 50,000 and a 30,000 we'd have successfully averaged 40,000 lol. Then if we can get a West Final, that should be a sellout considering in the non-grey cup hosted years we were able to draw 50,000+ in the old dome. This is a new dome and a west final to a Grey Cup that was sold out a long time ago might actually pull, let's be generous and say 50,000 but with reduced capacity to 54,000 i think we could sell that one out if we get it, maybe even if we got a west semi-final, that would be awesome.

As exciting as attendance figures are, the real treat has been watching this team live for 3 times on this streak, Last game at Empire, the next week driving out to Calgary to watch, and then for the 2nd game at BC Place for the Lions. All the while winning 7 in a row, and if we continue this to our next home I would not be surprised if we got another 50,000 back for Edmonton. Just top notch entertainment, love going to the Lions games. I'm actually going to be attending on the 29th as well i'm hoping.