Lions issue statement on Simon Fraser University football program

Hello Tedchinook - thanks for your response. If you read the statement from the BC Lions it explains much of what I said - SFU has a long history with the CFL and I am sorry to see it end.

1 Like

Its good news disguised as bad news. It was always a goofy idea for a CANADIAN school to play in the NCAA. Simon Fraser needs to return to USports in 2024. That would give Canada's third largest city two university football programs, just like Toronto (Toronto & York) and Montreal, which has three (Montreal, Concordia and McGill). Any change that supports Canadian rules over U.S. rules is a good change. Make it so.

But the question remains would they want to return to U Sports?

I wasn’t sure it was a good idea when they joined the NCAA back in 2010 and now you might see the consequences of that decision.

1 Like

I'd heard that Simon Fraser would have to give up their entire NCAA status if they joined USports Football program
You can't have both
They would have to move their entire program

Mens and Womens
Basketball
Soccer
Track and field
Volleyball
Golf
Swimming
etc.

1 Like

You forgot Ottawa with two big universities

This news is really sad for me. I love the game played by the CFL and losing a source of Canadian football players can only be a blow to the CFL given the rise of XFL and USFL who need players as well. The Canadian Talent is small enough without losing another source. And the CFL game gives me an opportunity to be proudly supporting Canadian talent over American. I fear if this is a trending situation the CFL will disappear all together.

1 Like

???
Travel costs?
They would pay less to play in CIS*

*After posting this I googled; apparently the only reason NCAA was cheaper was team rode the bus (NCAA) vs needing to fly (CIS)

Its also odd the comment on recruiting since about a decade ago they also claimed that was a main reason to join NCAA (elevate recruiting status)

Having looked at their divisional opponents I have to ask, how much support does this "Great Northwest" actually get?

The Alaska universities I can understand drawing good support as It's their highest level of college sports, but for everyone else (especially casual fans)?

Why support the Washington schools when you have Washington and Wash. State in D1?

Same for Western Oregon?

Frankly unless you literally live in the university's home town, are you going to obsessively follow D2 over D1 in a major sport like football or basketball?

As for the supposed move to the Lone Star Conference (?!) yes that will REALLY keep down the travel costs...

1 Like

Yup

Sadly this is not as easy fix.

I do wonder assuming there is even an once of desire from SFU to rejoin U Sports but football, who’s rule is it that the whole athletics program has to belong in one or the other?

apparently that is not necessarily the case and other options weren’t even explored.

1 Like

more in this thread here:

Why not try getting a few US cities to play in the CFL as well. I'm sure that'd work well.....

I agree in principle to take a look at it but I’m not sure how this relates to University football.

1 Like

there’s an expansion thread for that discussion

1 Like

I was actually being sarcastic and referencing the mid-90s guys !!

I got it!

I just read Ambrosie asked U Sport to help SF football, let's hope this works!

But I think the University just want to cancel it , and U Sport are simple excuse

1 Like
1 Like

closing this thread because there is an existing discussion here