Lions can be proud!

To hold a powerhouse like Montreal to just 16 points speaks volumes. The Lions' D guys have got to be happy with their play. Calvillo is as slippery as they come and they held him.

I was impressed over all. I'm nervous about Printers as he has flashes of brilliance and then seems to go for a swim in the septic tank.

Can anyone explain for the life of me why Buono opted to have McCallum punt the ball from his end zone with just under 2 minutes left? Why not give up the safety, be down by 5 and play for field position. True, it meant the Lions would have had to score a major but by punting it gave Montreal excellent field position to score at least a field goal which would have resulted in B.C. needing a major anyway. As it turned out, Montreal got the single making for a 4 point spread. The same result.

If B.C. had given up the safety and kicked off it would have put Montreal much further back. Even then if Montreal scored a field goal there would have only been an 8 point spread. With the way the D was playing I think Wally should have opted for the safety.

That was an ugly, hard-fought game. You guys held my Als to 0 touchdowns despite missing Keron Williams, Anton McKenzie, and dressing multiple rookies on defense. You also sacked Calvillo at least three times. Lots to like on the defensive side of the ball. Rich Stubler is obviously having an effect as the line coach.

Can anyone explain for the life of me why Buono opted to have McCallum punt the ball from his end zone with just under 2 minutes left? Why not give up the safety, be down by 5 and play for field position. True, it meant the Lions would have had to score a major but by punting it gave Montreal excellent field position to score at least a field goal which would have resulted in B.C. needing a major anyway. As it turned out, Montreal got the single making for a 4 point spread. The same result.
I think Buono was gambling that your D could get a two-and-out and force us to punt. And with the way our placekicker was messing the bed, it was no guarantee that he'd nail even the single. Personally, I think Wally made the right call.
If B.C. had given up the safety and kicked off it would have put Montreal much further back. Even then if Montreal scored a field goal there would have only been an 8 point spread. With the way the D was playing I think Wally should have opted for the safety.
But then you'd have been down by 5 points instead of 4, same difference only this time it's guaranteed that you need a major to win. Wally rolled the dice hoping his kicker could boom a punt out of FG range and that his D could get a quick stop. After the Printers fumble, I don't see what else he could have done.

“But then you’d have been down by 5 points instead of 4, same difference only this time it’s guaranteed that you need a major to win. Wally rolled the dice hoping his kicker could boom a punt out of FG range and that his D could get a quick stop” D&P

Not sure what your reasoning is. 5 points down would have guaranteed a major was needed. 4 points down would have guaranteed a major was needed. A field goal by Calvillo would have guaranteed that the Lions needed a major. What’s the difference? Actually maybe that’s what Buono was thinking. Then the LIons would scrimmage from their own 35 instead of deep around the 5.
As far as McCallum having the ability to boom a punt from inside his end zone, he’d have to kick a 55 yarder or better. Those are rare for him- if ever. And even then Calvillo can pick up 20 yards in his sleep which is all he would need for a field goal attempt. I think Buono could have made a better call.

But at the time McCallum kicked, being four points down was not guaranteed to happen. That's my point. Hands up, any of us who thought that the game would end up being sealed with Duval, who had been brutal at kicking of all kinds on the night, putting a single into the end zone from pretty far out. :wink: I know I didn't see that coming. :slight_smile: Perhaps Wally had scouted Duval over the past few weeks and knew that Duval's punting has been, to this point in 2010, as poor as his placekicking.

Also, what happens if you give up the safety but Calvillo still manages to get the Als in FG range and kick a FG? (remember, you kick from your 25-yard line after giving up a safety, not your 35) Now you're down by eight points, needing a TD and a two-point convert to tie the game up.

A field goal by Calvillo would have guaranteed that the Lions needed a major.
You guys sacked Calvillo at least three times on the night and several times were able to force losses on passing plays to push us back instead of forward. Your D gave up 0 TDs on the night. If ever there was a game to be confident about your defense, this was it.
As far as McCallum having the ability to boom a punt from inside his end zone, he'd have to kick a 55 yarder or better. Those are rare for him- if ever.[/color]
True, but your coverage teams had smothered Maypray on returns all night. A lucky bounce or a returner with butterfingers -- Bratton had already fumbled a kick return earlier in the game -- and suddenly we're back across the midfield stripe and out of FG range.

All that being said, Buono's decision is certainly debatable, and I can see why you and other Lions fans might feel he should have conceded the safety.

Wally needs to quit rolling the dice in a gamble and start using strategies that work. That was a pathetic rushing game for the Lions, wow 7 yds is pretty sad. It was clear that the Al's were going to pick up on the passing and make it work for them which they did when it counted, in the last 4 plays by Printers. Wally needs to get his head out of the old days when gambling worked and start using technical strategies that are well thought out by the team as a whole. If Printers has a hard time with rushing then put someone in who does good at it when it is needed. This strategy worked before! Ever since Wally made the big mistake of putting Dickenson in to lose the Grey Cup after Printers lead the team all the way to the finals a few years ago, he has proven he is not up to the challenge of making good decisions for the team. 7 yrds rushing, truly pathetic, that's why we lost, however; the Lions played awesome. They are up to the challenge of winning if only they were allowed freedom to think on the fly more instead of blinding following a losing gamble. :wink:

Als were fired up to stop the run tonight, no shame in that. Chapdelaine tried running the ball but the gains were usually either minimal or negative, barring that improv shovel-pass to Robertson that worked because our MLB was busy crack-smoking in his drop instead of covering the running back, as he’s supposed to do.

not sure why the Lions didn't keep throwing the deep ball they were successful in the first half and got numerous pass interference penalties against MTL defence. The lions O-line played well, Printers had lots of time too throw deep.

The O line was not that strong tonight. Printers had a few good looks but most throws were rushed and done with Montreal players jumping on him. He took a pounding tonight and that isn't good. Our run game was non-existent as well and that lies solely on the O line who simply could not open any holes. Compare Calvillos pocket time to Printers. Not even close. Printers was rushed on every play.

Sorry...can';t agree. O Line, though I am sure they played their asses off, simply could not get the job done. Cost us the game.

The O line was better last night. They gave Casey pretty good protection but didn’t open up any decent running lanes for Robertson. They played well but inconsistancies on offence cost us. If Geroy caught that one pass in the endzone there is a win for us.

Throwing deep will keep the offence off balance , then your running game will open up.

Beagle Hound,
I get the feeling that you actually work for the Lions.
All you ever do, is post topics about, how great job that they are doing.
The Lions Defense didn't play Great.
The Als played really Poorly, and were having a terrible game.
Unfortunately, the Lions once again, played even Worse than the Als did!
We have absolutely No Offensive Line "Again", and that Fluke running game that we had in Edmonton, has mysteriously Disappeared!
The Front 4 and Linebackers had very little Push, or Up Front pressure on the Als and the sacks were due, to good down field coverage.
Beagle Hound, you have to be on the Pay roll to keep coming up with all of this praise, driected towards the Lions.
The Truth is......the Als played really poorly, but still kicked our ass, when it counted.
We need to get some Balls and Aggression on that Offensive Line.
They really are a pretty Sad group at best.

"Beagle Hound, you have to be on the Pay roll to keep coming up with all of this praise, driected towards the Lions."~ LionBacker51

You'll never know will you Lion Backer51? Hehehe. That is just a silly comment you're making reminiscent of another "Backer" who has been posting on the forum here. Could there be a relationship? lol
I call it the way I see it.

"All you ever do, is post topics about, how great job that they are doing." ~ Lion Backer51

Hmm....maybe you need to spend a little more time reading all of my postings so you're up to speed cause obviously you haven't. Here's a little homework for you. Below is just a sampling of some of the not so flattering comments I've made. Please read them and then tell me again that all I ever do is post topics [comments] about how great a job the Lions are doing.

"I'm nervous about Printers as he has flashes of brilliance and then seems to go for a swim in the septic tank....."

"Hopefully the Saskatchewan/B.C. blow-out isn’t a precursor….."

"If the blitz is the Achilles heel for the Lions because of a weak O line then no doubt that is what Printers and Lulay will see all game. How does Wally "fix" that in just 5 days?............"

"And if it can't be fixed, shouldn't the QB resort to the old reliable draw and screen plays? I didn't see any of that last week………….."

"The Lions will win some games this year and there may even be some squeakers. They "may" even get a playoff position but it will not be because they will be a strong team. It will be due to weakness of other teams……………"

"They will have their moments in the sun this season but I'm also being realistic. Last year the Lions got into the playoffs through the backdoor because Hamilton knocked off Winnipeg. Since last year they've lost key personnel. This year they are playing with essentially a rookie O line. The problems they faced last year trying to protect the QB will persist and that is the Lions Achilles heel……………."

"My hope is that the Lions do not have a 3-15 record or a similar record like the Ti-Cats and Toronto had during these past few seasons. I'm hopeful but not counting on it…………"

"We got too many stupid procedure calls and not only that ....Saskatchewan's game plan was to rush the QB every chance they got. That's exactly what they did and it worked to a T…………….."

"Calvillo will surgically take out B.C.'s tonsils if the O line doesn't improve……………"

"Concerning Printers et al who have all been injured; I hate to think it but even if they are all 100% the Lions will still draw the short straw. The O line is just too inexperienced……………."

"Only a single TD in the first outing. A blow-out in the second. A reckoning with Montreal next week. The Lions will win some games and will quite possibly get into the playoffs given the way the playoffs are designed. I won't be holding my breath this season. ……………….."

"As far as next week is concerned we just need to ask ourselves, are the Lions stronger this season than last? I don't think so. And last season the Lions were blown out 56-18. That sums it up in my mind what to expect this Friday………………"

lol @ noob getting owned

be proud of what? the way they played at home? or the way they beat Edmonton in there first game?

if you are so down on the lions, why dont you take up tiddly winks instead.

It all comes down to how you direct the action. Perfect scenario would be to slow mo the downs as they were happening and have a minute of thought for every second of play, hit the next frame button and adjust your line to meet the challenge, 'on the fly'. Replays are already too late. So train every second man on the line to read the action and nod to the guy next to him any changes in the play, Would putting headsets and mics on every player really be such a horrible thing? That nod might give away the poker-face and spoil the fun, eh.

Mr. Printers doesn't need time deciding where to throw the ball. He puts the ball right down on the X everytime, so I figure he's waiting for the receivers to set-up. That's why you should always tailor your plays for maximum effectiveness, one sub-play could be an out for a quick need to release, the next sub-play is the 'survived the snap, had a moment to check it' play and pass short range. Another sub-play then goes all the way out to a major play and lots of time to think. And there's lots of variations on each sub-play. Without going to look up rules, I'd say that you could change your QB each play, or every other odd random switch, yes? Get Printers in there after Lulay has softened them up with a few hard hitting rushes. Better yet switch the QB on every first down! I'll go look up the rules now... In a perfect world, eh! A few years back we were using Jarius Jackson to do all the 3rd and inches poundings. I thought that was a very effective strategy? :thup:

Grrr :slight_smile:

I <3 all of the fair weather fans and media in this province.

Proud of the fact that Montreal didn't score a single TD. Proud that they were not blown out 56-18 again like last year. Proud that the D played as well as it did. Proud that the Lions held the Grey Cup champions to only 16 points. Far better than Saskatchewan did in the season opener.

A win would have been sweet but it didn't happen. And if it did there would be whiners out there who would say that Montreal was having a bad day. The LIons have every right to hold their heads up high knowing they came that close to beating Montreal and doing it minus some of their key players.

You build on the positives not demoralize the team by chirping about the negatives. They already know where they screwed up. I'm not suggesting the negatives are ignored or downplayed. But the last thing you do when you are shooting for success is to ignore what went right.