LFA 2023 (Mexican Football League)

The Mexican league kicks off its 2023 season today. This year, they are up to 10 teams, I think. AFAK, though, there are no more Canadians on the rosters, though lots of American NCAA grads.

I believe games will be streamed on Facebook and Youtube.

4 Likes

Week 1

2 Likes

Former Edmonton Elks receiver Diego Viamontes wears #89 for the Dinos. Love that they are broadcasting all the games on YouTube for us - enjoyed that first Dinos-Raptors game!

3 Likes

LFA is much different now than when they first started. Before, everybody had a Mexican surname and went to University in that country. Now, teams are each allowed 12 foreign players. One of the teams has former NFL players QB Trevone Boykin and WR Terrance Williams in their starting lineup.

Week 2 (Saturday)

3 Likes

Standings after week 2

Screenshot 2023-03-18 12.53.45

This week's matches:

Two undefeated teams are up against each other, could be worth checking out.

Direct links for games not up yet, but they will be here:

1 Like

Week 3

4 Likes

Exciting finish to the Dinos-Jefes game; Seemed like the Dinos were running away with it, but full marks to the Jefes executing an onside kick and ensuing TD/2pt convert to pull within 4. Not sure why they bothered strategically with the 2pt though? Down by 4 or down by 5, they still needed a TD to end the game. Either way, Medina pulls in the second onside kick and the home team wins it.

1 Like

Games in the LFA would be better if extra point and field goal attempts were not an adventure so often.

Week 4

3 Likes

Being able to watch the games on YouTube is pretty cool. It'd be even better if I knew more than 5-6 words in Spanish. :smiley:

3 Likes

I have been watching the games and some are very entertaining, but I see that there is not much fan support.
about the spanish, well some game we can be on youtube and I can do some translations in the real time chat
the next Monday night game I think will be very good, Dinos vs Fundidores.

also Reds vs Galgos were a good game

3 Likes

Have only been following Los Dinos, and it was a solid game this week. I expect the two 3-1 teams battling on Monday will be a real test for sure.

1 Like

Last week QB Shannon Patrick threw 5 interceptions in one game. Never seen that happen before in a LFA contest.

Edit: fixed link

Week 5
On-demand replay starts in the 2nd quarter.

5 Likes

Monday Night game was really good and exiting, bad calls and penalties for Fundidores made them lost the game

1 Like

Los Dinos also had a bunch of tough penalties on defense. Great to see former Elk Diego Viamontes get his first touchdown in the game last night. Fantastic catch-and-run, and you really saw his speed as he pulled away from defenders.

2 Likes

yes I think that TD changed the game! I didn’t know he was in Elks, I will keep an eye on him in future games!

Is there another former CFL player there?

Regards!

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure if there are other former CFL players - I don’t speak Spanish at all, so couldn’t tell what they were saying in the broadcast, but they mentioned “Vancouver” and “Grey Cup” a few times that I could tell.

Loved seeing Diego’s showing his young daughter Lua the ball after he scored. She’s too young to understand, but I’m sure she loves the fireworks after every TD haha

1 Like

If you’re watching on Youtube, you might be able to turn on the closed caption subtitles and then turn on translation to English. I think I’ve done that once before. The running commentary won’t be perfect, but some of it will make sense.

I’m also fairly sure there are other former CFL globals in the league. I should go through the rosters someday and see if I can pick any out.

2 Likes

I did’n see that part, going to watch again!

today there is a game , I think Galgos has more chance to win

After a week off, league resumes for Week 6

3 Likes