Lewis Ward Record

I thought it was fitting seeing as at point during the streak, his longest was just 40 yards, so that proved that he could handle the long ones too.

This way it shuts up the critics who might say there should be an * next to the record.

What a great story he is.
I’m sure the sports networks in this country will be all over this great story…right after they have an in depth story on what Mike Babcock had for lunch last Thursday

Huh?! I see he has fifteen field goals so far this year between 40 and 49 yards.

???

Too funny, but sadly, true. The same could be said for the Ottawa Redblacks. Grey Cup final in their second year of existence, Grey Cup Champs in their 3 year. As I say to anyone who will listen to my rants: had these stories unfolded in the USA, an inspirational football movie would have been made about them.

Here in Canada, we seem to have an aversion to telling our own stories. Despite our bravado about being the best country in the world, there is still that strong vein of inferiority complex running through us.

Many of you are right: who in the hell cares if the NFL recognizes Ward’s achievement.

Agreed. The Las Vegas Golden Knights reached the Stanley Cup finals in their inaugural season, and it was a tremendous accomplishment (which it was). The RedBlacks reached the Grey Cup final in their second season, and it’s because the CFL is “minor league”.

Good on Ward for breaking that record, but to me breaking the CFL record was really more impressive (except that the pro record was a greater number.)
NFL goal posts are 10 yards further back, and narrower, and they’re not allowed to use a tee, making FGs harder down there; but the hash marks almost line up with the goal posts, and missed FGs aren’t usually returned, making most FGs easier. Someone who is good at one will probably be good at the other, but really, the two aren’t the same.
I’m sure NFL fans, and the NFL itself, will continue to refer to Vinitieri’s record as the “pro football record.” But who cares?
We’ll know.

In this case football is like English. There’s no wrong answer.

Maybe not a motion picture but a movie made for television at the very least.

I can see it now, The Security Guard.

Tom Dempsey is chimin’ in from way up - “I had shoes bigger than Lewis Ward!”

Anyways, congrats to Ward on a great record accomplishment…

P.S. Anyone know how many of his record FGs were from beyond the 50?

Just the 52 yarder last Friday evening against the Tiger-Cats.

:slight_smile:

I’ll go with the “different games” thesis and not compare “records”.

The goal posts being farther back doesn’t make any difference. It just means that a different starting spot, ten yards close to the goal line,for the kick. The ball still travels the same distance.

The goal posts are also the same dimensions,18’ 6" wide, with the crossbar 10’ above the ground.

Hash marks in NFL are in line with the goal posts, while they are wider in the CFL. Advantage: NFL.

The CFL allows a kicking tee, while the NFL doesn’t. Advantage: CFL.

NFL defence lines up close to the ball than CFL defence. Advantage: CFL.

NFL defensive players are (may be? not sure) taller on average that CFL defensive players. Advantage: CFL.

There are eight domed stadiums (32 teams) in the NFL, but only one in the CFL (9 teams). Advantage: NFL.

Weather is better in general for NFL games than CFL games, especially by the end of the season, and especially for southern teams. Advantage: NFL.

Basically, this may be the most comparableand most transferrable skill between the two games, but there are differences that could put an asterisk on Ward’s pro world record.

Great analysis. Ya, not sure where he got the NFL goal posts are more narrow (as you point out, they aren’t).

Again, great job

The goal posts are wider in U.S. college football than they are in the NFL (I think).

They used to be.

One possible explanation is that on a field goal from the 30 in each league, the angular width of the NFL goal posts is narrower due to them being 10 yards farther away. But that’s comparing a 30 yard field goal (CFL) with a 40 yard field goal (NFL).

Why are these advantage CFL? Wouldn’t these two situations make for easier blocked kicks?

Exactly. So an advantage for the CFL kickers.

What I think what makes it hard for people to accept is a rookie kicker who was a security guard at TD place the year before is now has the all time record for consecutive FG made .

It’s the same whether CFL or NFL .

He made it look too easy by simply just doing it right out of the gate .

It’s like the phenomena of the Golden Knights last year in the NHL .

It is really a unique scenario where someone comes from out of nowhere and becomes a legend quickly .

This story is so CFL in it’s nature .

First he’s Canadian , he is from the area , he is short , he wasn’t given much of a chance , and has limited experience .

But so far under pressure with no pro experience he breaks a Consistency record .

An amazing story " Rudy esque " .

This is what makes the CFL a professional Canadian league that allows our own
to succeed when unbiased evaluations of talent are made .

Most CFL players and coaches are American. I’m betting it matters a lot to them. They seem pretty excited when they score or win. Americans may also, one day, pay a premium to watch superior CFL ball. Marketing to them not only helps recruit players, but could also result in those players getting paid a lot more. Lots of football people in the U.S., and they are legion, know the score in the CFL. He’s being called “all-world.”

There’s also an extra man to be blocked in the CFL. Advantage NFL.

I really think the differences are fairly meaningless, with the exception of the wider CFL hash marks, and perhaps the greater chance of weather affecting the kick.