Let's talk defense

Ok…lets talk defense without the “buzz” words

The knowns:

Offense has 6 weapons. 7 if you count the QB.

They can run or pass

They know what the play options are.

QB takes 3 or less secondsto deliver the ball.

Defense : Everyone hates the 3 man D-line so:

4 man D-line

3 LB

4 DBs

1 Safety.

They have to react/ defend the run or pass,

What does Man defense look like? Say you want 2 DBs to go man on 2 receivers. Does the safety play deep on that? If so 3 cover 2.

Offense still has 4 weapons . How do you cover these. And still protect the run.? if 3 are tied up in man, and generally 4 rushing you have 4 defenders left. What do you see as their responsibilities? You generally want them in a zone? Or man?

What does your basic defense look like?

To my, admittedly limited, understanding of football tactics … basically … CBs cover WRs … DHB cover SBs … S plays “centerfield” … LBs responsible for TEs/RBs/FBs … but on-field ends up more complex … the DC may want particular players covering particular receivers … that may result in non-basic matchups … also defenders switching sides if receivers do … then comes the complexity of CBs/DBs/S blitzes and other tactics to “confuse” QBs/OCs … and then a 3-man line can add an extra LB or DB … then a 5-man line can take away a LB or DHB or S … then … then …

Yeah, there is no taking away complexity or variables or proper terminology without rendering the discussion pointless. Good offenses aren’t vanilla. So good defenses can’t be vanilla either. They have to be able to adjust and react to different offensive formations, schemes, matchups, and playcalls. There is a certain amount of checking off that linebackers and defensive backs have to do at the line, before and as the ball is snapped. Get your keys – that is, figure out your responsibilities within your own defensive framework based on the keys or “tells” (i.e. the clues you’ve been instructed by your DC to watch for, such as a receiver’s angle of approach to the line, whether the slot is in motion, is it an empty backfield, etc.) – and then react accordingly.

I remember, probably the last defensive revolutionary-Buddy Ryan, say his defenses would make Offenses be reactive. His defenses were proactive.

He would line all 12 up on the LOS often. He called that his Eagle defense. Maybe rush 5, 10, or even all 12. Remember that?

QB would react by having a receiver in the flat. Ryan would have all 12 at LOS. Then have one on each side break out to cover the flat.

Belichek got defensive ends out of 3 point stance. Still runs this "milling about " defense with 9 on LOS “milling” about.

Dungy had the cover two with 2 safeties over the top at all times. So deep receivers always had man coverages but protected on routes by safeties. He basically conceded the 5 yard pass if QB could find them and then pounded them. I think he was a big influence on Stubler.

But no defense is effective if aren’t fundamentally sound ie tackling. And capable of catching a ball. Ball hawking was/is a staple of Chris Jones. We’ve all seen him take offensive guys and turn them into defensive guys, taking a page from Parcells and Belichek. Two of his mentors.

So many variables .

I find good defences play zone and man to man depending on what they want to show the QB . They then switch up .

Usually a DC knows they have to blitz using LB ,CB or safeties in order to pressure the QB and hopefully not get caught .

If the DL is not capable of applying pressure with stunts or just brute force and sometimes even when successful they still go after the QB with pressure inside or outside and wherever they see the O line weakness . They don’t want to stay too predictable even if successful .

I take it this thread is because we watched Harris sit around like Tom Brady in the pocket without much pressure .

Good Innovators all of them .

No real point other than a bar stool discussion. And I was thinking what my defense may look like and how difficult it is given the rules etc.

What Belichick is known for on defense is focusing on taking away an opponent’s strength.

If he was playing the Tiger-Cats this weekend he would for instance try to eliminate Banks by double teaming him, and take his chances on the Tiger-Cats beating him in other ways.

(Although he wasn’t too successful handling Lamar Jackson the other week.)