Lets Talk Defense

I think going into camp they need at least 15+ DL players to compete for the 4 starting spots and 2-3 backups. 15+ puts 3-4 guys competing for each spot so the competition would be very good.

There are currently 10 DLmen on the roster so I think finding at least 2-3 more will make for a great camp where the DL is concerned.

I think it’s fair to say that the Cats gave up alot of points last season. I also think its fair to say that there were two very basic Issues, one with personel and one with system. With the new DC, I have no doubt that the defensive playbook will be a bit more imaginative, and that he will demand good execution.

The personel however troubles me, with a couple of exceptions, this is the same group that gave up almost 35 pts a game. I know that some of this is because of the poor pass rush, but there were games where a couple of the DBs, specially Gordon, were completely steamrollered by opposition receivers. I also worry about safety, as its probably not fair to expect Barker to return from a serious injury and make the transition from the CIS to the CFL…he’s a great prospect, but these things take time. As far as Im concerned, Thompson is the only lock here.

At LB, there is a lot of room for improvement. Floyd will improve the intensity level, but you gotta wonder why Wally didnt try to re-sign. Auggie is a great guy to have on Special teams, and will bust his butt playing for you, but you can’t really call him an every play linebacker. Knowlton is the best of the bunch. Whoever you pick, the Cats have to pick it up on run defense, where they were last or next to last in most categories. There were times last year where the Cat LBs looked slow and immobile ESPECIALLY the departed #16…the better RBs were running through them easily.

All this being said, the addition of Floyd and Guillory are a step in the right direction.

Good post als, # 16 was to my observation making most tackels after a first down was gained, However Auggie is ready to step into the starters roll. esp after being coached by Keply in Emonton, and Beverage is ready to become the starting safety!

Just as Porter will be given "every chance" to become starting QB, so too will Dylan Barker be given "every chance" to become starting safety.

I have my doubts about Barrenchea becoming starting MLB (I think he has trouble stopping the run), but I did like the passion/mean streak he showed in Edmonton. Maybe his time there made him a true starter. If we draft Tristan Black, I think Obie is hoping Auggie will win the starting MLB job, and Black (another Canadian) can apprentice under him.

I agree with" on in two" that barker will be given the chance to be starting safety. He was slotted there before the broken leg. Robinson was the last minute fill in.If barker can start there will be only one more cdn on defense lb or dline.I only see 5 cdns on offense 4 linemen1 fullback or a 5th receiver cdn on passing downs.Not sure where people see 6 on offense. :slight_smile:

Look at our offence last year. 3 CDN o-lineman, Bauman and Woodcock equalled 5 CDNs. Piercy came in on two back package, and Bauman came out. Insert Rempel for Woodcock, Pavlovic or Sadeghian for Piercy, and Gauthier at left tackle, and you have 6 CDN’s on offense.

Keeping this relevant with this thread, this means we only need 1 CDN on defence. If Mace comes, then there is no pressure to throw Barker into the fire as a rookie. If Marshall thinks Mariuz and/or Barrenechea can start, and we have Mace, then we have real options. To be honest I can see that happening for lack of import depth at LB.

People talk about Barrenechea starting at MLB, but that causes ratio problems because if he goes down, then who backs him up? Has to be a CDN. If you put an American in to back him up (Siskowicz), we have to take an American off the field somewhere else and put in a CDN to make sure we always have 7 starting.

We won't be starting 2 Canadians at receiver. I can almost guarantee that.

Based on how hard, the Cats were going after Ike Charleton, I would say your LBing situation is anything but settled.

Who is your wide side, cover LBer ?

Marshalls defenses are soft, relying on the front 4 to get to the qb before the coverage in the secondary breaks down. Your wide side LBer has to be able to cover. The MLBer in Marshalls defense doesn't play a huge roll, other than having the running back funneled to him.

I don't get the numbers of NI required to start.

Is it just to start?

If so, can't you just change your line up after one play?

Can someone please explain?

Isn’t that pretty much every defence?

Very vanilla, he doesn’t try to fool you with different looks, or guessing if a blitz is coming from the Lber or safety or HB.

Typical Bomber fan response. When they arrive, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but when they leave, whether it’s on their own terms or not, they now become the worst in the league. Talk about wearing blue and gold goggles.

Do you know something the rest of us don’t? If so, give us your sources. We’re all thirsting for knowledge here!

To be honest Captain, I don’t really understand it all fully i.e. what is a designated import? how does that all factor in? But the botton line is you need 7 Non-Imports playing all game long on offence or defence. Not just starting the game, but finishing the game. If a Non-Import goes down, another one comes in. If a non-import goes down on defence, I don’t know if you can put on in on offence, but you always need to have 7 which is where injuries cause major concerns if you don’t have non-import backups. For example, last year when Lumsden went down in the middle of a game, and Caulley came in, the team would have had to take an American off somewhere else, and put in a CDN so you always have 7 starting.

Markeith Knowlton.

It’s actually very effective, got us to the playoffs three straight years.

But the MLBer, isn’t a big deal, unless he is complete crap. The front four are the key, as well as LBers who can cover, especially when he goes to a 3-4 on second and long.

D-line is still the big area of concern. You guys have decent talent at LB and a very underrated group of DBs. If the big boys can't pressure the QB, though, it won't be worth a hill of beans.

Guillory is going to be double-teamed constantly so either someone else from that group mans up or Marshall mixes it up with the occasional blitzing linebacker.