Lest We Forget

:D

If any of you have ever travelled abroad it highlights the many things we take for granted in our wonderful country. Is Canada perfect, no country is. But the freedoms we have and the democracy we enjoy was acquired on the shoulders of our soldiers in WW1, WW2. In most cases our differences are not life and death ones. Our more recent peacekeepers face the unenviable task of maintaining peace in countries where some of the residents don't understand the freedoms we try to share because of their restrictive systems. Canada is surely one of the greatest places to live in the world. Today, remember for a minute those who gave up their lives and limbs trying to establish and maintain our freedoms. To our veterans alive and passed on we say thank-you. Imagine living in a country, due to them, that perhaps our only differences are arguments about which of our football teams is better. How lucky are we really?!!!
Remember and acknowledge please!

:thup:

Good post. I love this country so much. Thanks to men and women who have fought, are fighting, and will fight. It's very much appreciated and you're the real heroes who make this country one of the greatest nations on this planet.

Great post turkey! :thup:

Love my country and freedom. A big thank you to all those brave men and women who protect those very things for me and my children.

AMEN!!!

...this past March my wife and I had the opportunity to spend a day at Beny-sur-Mer, Juno Beach and the Canadian Military Cemetery 15km inland from there.....words cannot describe the visit....

....remember those who have fallen, thank those who have served, and honour those who protect us today....

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Many former CFL players paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms. Thank you to all on this day of remembrance, I will not forget.

Couldn't have said it better myself, guys!

Canada is such a wonderful, amazing country. And we owe it all in no small way to all those brave men and women who through the years, over the decades, and even the centuries, have stood against those who would usurp Canada for their own nefarious purposes.

From the earliest days of our humble beginnings hundreds of years ago, people had a vision of a land of freedom and opportunity, free from tyranny and oppression, hatred and war. Many died and many others suffered trying to ensure that future. Their spirit lives on today as we remember them. Bless those who have given so much for Canada, as they blessed us with such a bright future in a land of peace, prosperity, tolerance, respect and remembrance.

May all those past and present who stand for Canada, private citizen and private soldier alike, forever rest in peace knowing that we stand on guard for thee.

to RedandWhite:

What you saw at those memorials I am guessing in these three words: beautiful, humbling and emotional!! What a trip you had and good for you for going to those sacred places!! :thup:

If someone doesnt take time on this one day to see what was given to us, im not sure they should be canadian. we are the free-est country in the world. i was listenin to 92.9 in calgary yesterday, and some D-dag called in and said we should let this rembrance day go since those wars were so long ago and most the vets are dead or dying. i almost called the radio station. people like that, i though, should really question being canadian and all they have been blessed with.

You shouldn't question whether or not that person should be Canadian. You should question whether or not that person has any humanity... Pretty stupid comment no matter what country the person is from.

...yes, particularily the last one...

Incredible post Turkey. We should all be thankful to each and every Canadian and American soldier that has stood in harms way and paid the price in full for all the freedoms we enjoy. God bless them all!