Take up your quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae of the 1st Field
May 3, 1915 after the battle at Ypres.

God bless those brave men and women who fought so valiantly to give us our freedoms and who gave us the opportunity to enjoy the simple things in life such as Canadian football.

RIGHT ON!

Many CFL players have been WAR VETS.
Some didn't come home.

GREAT POST , ro1313.

"where all songs are one song and that song is , DON'T FORGET!"

:thup: :thup:

just wondering how many people went to a military parade to show respects for the fallen men and women who have fought for our freedoms?

"We Will Remember Them"

...NEVER FORGOTTEN...ALWAYS REMEMBERED...The debt owed to these brave souls who gave their lives for this country can never be repaid....they will always be engrained in the memories of Canadians forever...and so it should be..remembered today and always...

I've always thought that Canadian soldiers have always been the best pound for pound soldiers in the world.

Thanks for keeping us free from German Fascism, and Osama Bin Laden!

This year, the remeberance day ceremony has renewed meaning, with the loss of our soldiers in Afghanistan. We should remember ALL our troops who have died in the Boer War, WWI,WWII, the Korean war and those who volunteered to go to Vietnam. It is their sacrifice that keeps us as a free nation, and for that we should be thankful.

That poem never gets old

To all of our forces in uniform: THANK YOU!
Our society would not be the same without you, or the millions who have come before you.

Whether it be "Remembrance Day" in Canada or "Veterans Day" in the U.S. Never forget any and all who serve or have served to protect the freedoms we all enjoy and take for granted on a daily basis. Without their bravery, we probably wouldn't be here.

God Bless all who serve!!! And Thank You!

Thanks for posting “In Flanders Field”, ro.
I would have myself, except I haven’t been near a computer since yesterday.

Permit me a little Shakespeare as well:

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, For he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Henry V.

As a related note, we are down to 3 living Veterans of “The Great War”, WWI, and rumour has it we are considering giving the final one to pass a state funeral–arguably the highest honour Canada can bestow upon a citizen.
But there is some controversy.
Call your MPs and MLAs and make sure there is no doubt it is the correct and fitting thing to do!!

True that. Its such a symbol of how we see the war, as well as the many, many, many men and women who have died for us.

An online petition calling for a state funeral for the last veteran of the First World War passed the 43,000-signature mark Friday and is rising by the hour, organizers said.

The Dominion Institute hopes to have 50,000 signatures before Remembrance Day ceremonies on Saturday.

Rudyard Griffiths, the institute's director, said the death of the last veteran of the Great War will be a "watershed moment" for the country and should be front and centre for all Canadians.

Of the 619,636 Canadians who served in the First World War, three are still alive: Percy Dwight Wilson, 105, and Lloyd Clemett and John Babcock, both 106.

"When that last veteran dies, when the living link is severed between one of the defining events in our country's history and who we are as a country today, will we still remember?" Griffiths asked.

http://www.dominion.ca/petition/

As the son of a veteran, that summation of our soliders rings true all through the world. Everyone knows Canadians are the toughest soldiers around.

I too am the son of a veteran. My father was a member of the 1ST Canadian Paratrooper battalion who, among other missions jumped over Normandy on D-Day.

I cant believe how every year we see fewer and fewer people who care enough to wear a poppy!

I’ve enjoyed reading these posts and I’m like Don Cherry I get emotional thinking about what our combat men have done and our doing for freedom.
A previous poster mentions we had over 600,000 serving in WWI and I believe it was over 1,000,000 in WWII. A incredible feat with our population…and another mentioned that pound for pound the Canadian soldier was the best. I have heard this many times over the years from immigrants where the Candians had served.
My son was in England a few years back and told me of talking to Brit vets…they would say “oh the Canadians, they were the toughest”. I guess that the coming together of our forebearers from different countries has bred almost a new strain that takes the best from both sides. We still see this product in the NHL…the GM’s know where to look if they need a player who can, shall we say, “keep the others honest”.
We owe those men from WWII more then words can express and its sad to see the way of life they fought and died to preserve be chipped away by groups who are bent on destroying what made this country great. Thank goodness we finally have a government that is trying to restore and modernize our military.
I can still hear and see in my mind a man who was a child in Holland when the Canadians liberated his town. With tears in his eyes he told me “it was the happest day of my life when the Canadian soldiers came, we had nothing to eat, nothing except grass. They shared their rations and esentials with us. I will never forget”
Our soldiers in Afghanistan our doing the same thing now. As a famous writer once said “its bred in the bone”.
We should be supporting them 100%.