Lemon traded

If i am recalling correctly he turned down an NFL camp because it was too far from home or something to that effect...he went down to rookie camp and played really well and got invited to the main camp and walked

and yes....it sounds like it is not a rumor and that he said nope...I play here or I am done

brutal

I had never thought of this at the time of the trade....but it is all ringing back into memory now

Probably safe to say Argo management having a laugh and champagne knowing all along this would be the outcome and headline of the week.

mehh

I had heard he wasn’t at practice today…figured he just wasn’t in town yet…but wow

just flipping through some social media (twitter)…seems the Argos have tried moving him for a while…I would strongly suspect that this was part of the reason the conditional was in there…I have to hope that between the 3 persons acting in GM capacities that 1 would think…oh…what went down with his titans shot again…thats right…it was too far from home…why wasnt he in the NCAA…oh…thats right…too far from home. I think they just put him in there as a long shot tbh…definitely makes the Argos the winner in the trade though…Jones was in Toronto and assistant GM when Sewell was drafted…there is no way he is blindsided by this potential…or at least there shouldn’t be potential of it.

That's quite a few players who suddenly. Retired or asked for
R a trade . Not good

yet another Jones blunder, it just keeps going and going.... lol.... sorry folks he's not our answer... as Jeff Dunham's, puppet Walter would say... dumbass!

Lol oh my freaken goodness what a hose job again!!! What does our management have SUCKER stamped on their foreheads? Seriously this is becoming a very bad trend and some real red flags should be going up. I mean we just got schooled again and for some reason I don't think is the last time either. I'm just so stunned that after all the other rip offs that maybe just maybe they would have done their homework? Apparently not though. Barker must be sitting there laughing his *** off at how he bent Jones & Co over again. What at maroon, what a ninkcowpoop as Bugs Bunny would say.

Oh I don't have to try and find issues they gift wrap them and hand them out on a silver platter. I mean talk about easier then shooting fish in a barrel, or taking candy from a baby. :roll:

Seriously this is just plain Mickey Mouse management behavior and I hope Reynolds tares a strip off of them that they won't be able to sit for a week. Frankly this makes me so angry thinking about what we have given up in talent and financial assets I want to spit nails. I mean no offense Depop but if you found the history on this flake so easily then how does the master minds that are suppose to be running things not find it? If they did and still went ahead and did the deal knowing this was a strong possibility, well then that is borderline gross negligence.

Seriously is Jones really here to improve this team or is he here to wipe it off the face of the planet? So far almost everything he has done is pointing towards the latter.

So from now on every time Jones is about to make a deal he should be forced to watch this first. [url]What a gullibull, what a nincowpoop! - YouTube

like i said...I have a very hard time believing they didn't know there was a good probability of this happening....unless one feels that someone who was a part of drafting him and saw him do this 2 times in the past was unaware of its potential. was likely the best offer on the table except for perhaps Huf...and he likely wasn't going to move him to the West unless it was a really good deal...hence the conditional end of it

Don't get me wrong...I don't like the trade but if they felt it was the best deal on the table and that there was a need to get him out...then so be it...it now becomes Lemon for a QB...and I don't care about the cash unless it hampers the potential for signing someone else....without knowing the exact details around it all it is tough to say....but like I said elsewhere I would have preferred keeping him as I didn't want to see Lemon go...so how fast they moved him likely says that they needed to move him with basically any offer that didn't improve the West

it was a risk reward trade...clearly...the risk won out...the point of this trade was the prospect of Sewell...and he in himself is a guy who might not ever progress into someone who can be trusted for regular downs and may have been a bust for a pick in the first place....seeing as he had an NFL invite I tend to think he had potential though

I have to agree with your opinion Jimmy. I'm also appalled of poor management/negotiating/investigating surrounding the trade with Sewell. I spent 3 minutes on google yesterday and thought this looked risky for Sewell to jump. Could they even have talked to Sewell to ask if he wanted to play with the Riders ? Obviously not ! But I ask, what now ! Will someone come up to the podium and try to explain how a key piece of information was overlooked and blah blah blah sorry, but we still got a QB Gale thats been traded 4 times in 38 months { but no icing on the cake there }. Or do they sweeten the pot some more to hopefully coax Sewell to finish this year to save some face and divert those red flags. Can't say divert, to late for that. Maybe muster a win over Edmonton would help, but thats really slim and probably easier to put a man on Mars. I just know when you hire someone in management you expect to see results resembling improvements. Not blah blah blah.
Now the 6 month old question. Back before Jones was hired their were several names mentioned as to who would best suit the needs for HC. Names like Murphy, Lapo, jones, Huf and I forget which others but I wonder where the pointer would aim today because a lot of people are upset. In Jones we trust is also getting thin, like i don't want to hear it anymore. Plus money doesn't grow on trees. Maybe someone has forgot that !!!

sweeten the pot? He snubbed the NFL…so if he is that tied to home it is not going to happen…again…no way Jones wasn’t aware of this risk…not possible
also…you don’t want to sweeten the pot for the season…it has to be for multi year of nothing…otherwise the conditions will likely be met and the Riders surrender the pick…now they don’t and in essence have paid 85k of cap space for a QB…one could essentially say that they are paying 130 for Gale or whatever this year…they gave up nothing else for him…both teams traded a player they didn’t want

Murphy was not mentioned that I saw as HC…he is not a coach. I referenced how Reynolds went about the process of searching candidates in another post…was an awesome interview with him and there were very few qualify candidates…one of the more interesting interviews from a CFL head honcho I have heard

Personally I am still fine with Jones. Havent liked a lot of the moves, but liked more than not. The big ones I was really not crazy on were getting rid of Lemon (I still think they should have worked it out…but do not know all the details)…Price was trigger happy out of the gate…those are the 2 off the top of my head. I have perhaps expected more dice rolling in a rebuild year than some have which is why I am more accepting on a lot of it…i have shrugged off a lot knowing not to expect it as much in year 2…i am alright with it in year 1. I also don’t agree with some of the positional moves…but at the same time some of them look like big wins…so take that for what it is worth…long term I like how this is shaping up

There were also 2 receivers not retained that I was not happy about…but I get where they are going with it.

The other telling sign that Jones knew full well that this was a high risk trade is what else has been picked up…They have Dillion Guy who has a crapload of potential…they have JSJ…a couple other prospects as well

If Jones found a better defensive end than Lemon and is saving probably 100 K on him now shouldn't that be considered a win for Jones?

Even with the 85 K they put out they are probably still saving money.

Hard to know what to make of the deal as you don't know what other teams were offering for Lemon. At least he is out east now.

I think they just got in a big rush to move Lemon and Barker could smell the desperation. I mean lemon kept his mouth shut about wanting to move on so why didn't they just hang tight for even a week and see what happens? I don't care how you slice and dice it 85k cap hit is going to hurt any team. You don't just get free money to waste like that. This is where I say Jones may be an issue and a bit of a hot head. Instead of perhaps trying to work things out with Lemon he just flies off the handle and dumps him. No I don't know that for sure but realistically how much time past before the rumour started of moving Lemon and it actually happening? Heck I wouldn't be shocked if the deal was made during the Rider game. That to me isn't trying to make things work.

Yes Lemon is in the East for now but there is nothing to say after all the dust settles that Toronto doesn't deal him to Edmonton for Franklin. That deal makes sense for both teams the one we pulled off didn't. If they knew the risk and basically gambled thinking at least tehy got Gale well as Depop put it 130K for him is also not worth it.

This was a flat out blown deal any way you cut it.

Bedrock I honestly wasn't thrilled about the Jones hiring in the first place, especially as the GM. My first choice was Murph as GM and Lapo as HC. Now I do realize that Murph is not blameless in all that has transpired but then again who knows if Murphs wasn't crazy about a few things but Jones having more clout basically said tough noogies I'm going ahead anyways? That is something I guess we will never know though.

Ideally if they would have got Murph as GM and Jones as assistant GM and HC and DC I would have been far happier, although I doubt Jones would have left Edmonton under that kind of situation. IF that was the case I would have got Murph as GM Lapo as HC and possibly brought in Bene as DC. I jut think Jones has too much power and too much on his plate and being a rookie GM isn't helping the situation either.

there is also the fact…as I mentioned…that they specifically sought candidates that could wear multiple hats…why…because looking at organizations with substained success for several seasons over the past couple decades this was a common trend amongst them. The interview with Reynolds was pretty interesting.

And jones still would have been wearing multiple hats. Like I said if he was Assistant GM, HC and DC would that not fall into that catagory? I understand Jones probably wouldn't have jumped ship from Edmonton in that scenario but so what.

As the old saying goes power corrupts and absolute power aboslutly corrupts. Huf may have been the only one I would have given all the position Jones now holds. Why? Because he isn't a rookie at any of them. OF course Huf probably wouldn't have been the DC but still basically the same scenario. Honestly I think Jones has bitten off more then he can chew due to the situation this team was in from last year. Now if the team was not as in bad shape perhaps Jones could have handled it. I just can't see how anyone can do everything and doing it well especially when they are still learning the ropes of one of the most important positions.

Not really no.

As I said…Reynolds specifically wanted a GM/HC…the DC is just a preference of Jones for the time being…I would speculate that at some point next season he starts looking at candidates to fill the DC role. The GM/HC was the common trait amongst teams that had substained winning seasons that he talked about…it is the specific thing he wanted when hiring.

Oh well it's water under the bridge and with the huge contract it is going to probably be this way for some time. I just hope they get their ducks in a row sooner then later.

This is what I meant by , Jones not knowing the rider landscape, when you look for players, you have to find players who actually WANT to live and play here, looks like quite a few they picked don't want to be here. Maybe they should be asking thes players that question before trading for them, hence chick and dressler.

Who was this true for beyond Sewell not wanting to play away from home?..and that has nothing to do with “here” so much as being away from home at all. Campbell decided the money was not worth leaving his girl…Price was just a dick, grabbed the money and ran…George was domestic matters…Kelley retired for medical issues…Connop retired to take a job where he gets paid…most common denominator I see is cash…that is on the CFL and the PA for not fixing the base in the CBA when they had a cash influx big enough to help it…I said it before this started happening…the growing wealth gap in the CFL is going to cause issues…this is the start of it. The next contract will be the SMS going up 7 figures…if the base is not fixed it is going to be exponentially worse

Well there's no money to be made in the cfl so players pick the spot that they have other opportunities at maybe and get themselves set up for later in life, perhaps the mountains are more enticing than the prairies . I mean the money issues are minimal, you can make as much with a good job. So I'm sure players who decide to stay in Canada, take all those factors into their decisions.