League roster movement on the eve of camp

From CFL.ca:

TORONTO -- The Toronto Argonauts Football Club has signed running back Tony Nelson. Nelson will join his teammates when the Argonauts' entire roster hits the field this Sunday, June 6.

Tony Nelson finished a five-year college career at Massachusetts 6th on the UMass career rushing list (2,787), 5th on UMass career carries list (532) and 6th on UMass career rushing touchdowns list (25).

The Toronto Argonauts also announced that the following players have been released: RB/SB Amos Allen, RB Cory Boyd, DL Mark Evans, DB Quinton Meaders, DT Terrence Reese.

WINNIPEG – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have added non-import running back Andre Sadeghian to their roster.

Sadeghian spent last season with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats after being drafted 24th overall by the BC Lions in the 2007 CFL Canadian Draft. In his rookie season, Sadeghian dressed in all 18 games for the Lions playing primarily on special teams while also carrying the ball three times for 14 yards. He split the next season with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Saskatchewan Roughriders before re-signing with the Ticats last season where he played in 15 games, registering one catch for 12 yards. In his senior season with the Marauders, Sadeghian was named a second team All-Canadian after rushing for 886 yards and ten touchdowns.

The Blue Bombers also announced today that they have released the following five players: Import LB Henti Baird, Non-Import WR Chris Ioannides, Non-Import RB Guillaume Senecal, Non-Import OL Darren Hinds, Non-Import DL Justin Shaw.

The Blue Bombers have also placed non-import safety Ian Logan on the disabled list and placed quarterback Stefan LeFors on the suspended list.

REGINA – The Saskatchewan Roughriders have released the following players: DL Vaalyn Jackson, DL Ryan Lucas, WR Aaron Love, WR David McKoy.

The following players have been made inactive: LS Jocelyn Frenette, RB Lavarus Giles, DL Ikenna Ike, DB Joel Lipinski.

CALGARY – Calgary Stampeders head coach/general manager John Hufnagel has announced a number of roster moves on Saturday, including the retirement of non-import offensive lineman Jesse Newman.

“Jesse had personal reasons for retiring and I respect his decision,” said Hufnagel. “I looked forward to Jesse participating in training camp, but that will not be the case.”

Newman was a first-round pick, third overall, by the Stamps in 2008 and played 30 regular-season games and four playoff contests over two seasons with the Red and White.

“I sincerely regret putting the Stampeders and Coach Huff in this position by making such a late decision,” said Newman. “It was the hardest decision I’ve ever made.”

The Stamps also released quarterback Mike Desormeaux, non-import fullback Matt Henry and import defensive linemen Eryk Anders and George Clinkscale. Receivers Ryan Thelwell and Ken-Yon Rambo and linebacker Marc Calixte were placed on the disabled list. Linebacker Brandon Jamison was placed on the suspended list.

EDMONTON – The Edmonton Eskimos have signed import defensive back Chijioke Onyenegecha and import offensive tackle Jabari Ferguson, the club announced today.

Onyenegecha signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in March of 2007. The Oklahoma graduate recorded 15 defensive tackles, two special teams tackles, one tackle for a loss, one quarterback sack and one pass knockdown in nine games.

Ferguson played for the Albany Outlaws of the Indoor Football League in 2009. The Florida native attended Temple where he played in 37 games (14 starts) over four years.

The Eskimos also announced today that they have released the following eight players: Import DB Gary Albury, Import DE Keyon Brown, Import DB Isaiah Gardner, Import RB Dennis Kennedy, Non-import OL Alex Lau, Import OL Clifford Louis, Non-import DB Sammy Okpro, Import WR Ernie Pierce.

VANCOUVER – After four days of rookie camp, Lions GM and head coach Wally Buono has made his first personnel decisions leading into main camp which begins on Sunday, June 6th in Kamloops. In order to get down to the CFL-mandated roster size of 68, the club released the following players: Mike McEachern (non import) defensive back, Scott McCuaig (non import) defensive lineman, Abraham Wright (import) defensive lineman, Andy Schantz (import) linebacker, Geno Johnson (import) linebacker, Mickey Dean (import) running back.

In other personnel moves, the club placed import receiver Dominic Bolden (knee) on the disabled list. The Lions’ seven 2010 CFL Draft selections and two territorial protected players do not count towards the club’s overall roster.

Veterans report to training camp this afternoon and then coaches and players will prepare for two long weeks of two-a-day practices in Kamloops. The following is the practice schedule for Sunday, June 6th to Sunday, June 13th. For detailed camp information including updated rosters and practice times please visit bclions.com and click the training camp banner.

Roster movement on the eve of camp

Rambo and Thelwell put on the disabled list. More surprises in Calgary. Anyone know the story regarding that?

Did the Als and Ticats not make any moves after rookie camp?

i dont know anything about the injuries... or suspension. i was hoping matt henry would make the team. maybe next year.

Hamilton, Ontario – The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that the team has signed non-import defensive end Stan van Sichem.

Van Sichem, a 6-2, 229-pound native of Amsterdam, Netherlands was selected by the Montreal Alouettes in the fourth round (25th overall) of the 2009 CFL Canadian Draft. He was traded to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on February 26 and was later released by Winnipeg. In four years at Regina, van Sichem recorded 97.5 tackles, 24.5 tackles for a loss and a school-record 13 quarterback sacks.

The Ticats also announced that the following players have been released:

IMP DB Derek Douglas
IMP DL Josh Gaines
IMP OL Lawrence Lovell

IMP LB Lamar Myles

IMP DB Richie Rich

NIP WR Scott Valberg

Thanks. I see they've updated that article at CFL.ca to include Hamilton's moves. Still nothing for Montreal though.

Well don't feel special. The Als have blacked out access to their rookie camp to the media again this year and are risking a boycott from the Montreal media as we speak, so expect a press release at one minute to midnight EST. :thdn:

I’m surprised the league allows that. How strange. Guess that means fans can’t go either. That would not go over well in Winnipeg. There was an uproar when the Bombers decided to close the first practice and limit access to the second one to season ticket holders only (as a perk) for the opening day of TC. They later changed it so both practices are open to the general public on Sunday (all the other TC practices were already open to the general public).

Herb raised the issue last year and Cohon didn't say a peep on the subject. Trestman says these rookies only have a couple days and it would not be fair to expose them to the stress of the media :roll: There is an article in the French MTL media that shreds Smith and the Als management, basically calling Smith a "user" and saying that the Als have gone from the most to the least fan and media friendly organization in Montreal !

Here is a quote from Herb Zurkowsky

Montreal rookies actually hit the field for the first time Wednesday afternoon but, as in previous years, the organization has failed to extend an invitation to the media. The Als are the only CFL team that seems determined to conduct its rookie workouts behind closed doors. That's their prerogative, although president Larry Smith has always understood the value of free publicity.

The CFL should step in and tell them what's up.
If every other team does it, why can't the ALS?
This is rookie camp, let the media and diehards take it in...

I agree. Every other team has their “tool” on the table but one…

The league stepped in when the media complained about Hufnagel closing a couple of practices to the media a couple of years ago (yes I know it wasn't pre-season but it's the same principle). It should step in now for the same reasons it did then.

Ticats sign import DB Martin Manson and import RB Demitris Summers.
Import WR Scott Mayle to the DL.

[url=http://ticats.ca/article/ticats-sign-two-before-camp-kicks-off]http://ticats.ca/article/ticats-sign-tw ... -kicks-off[/url]
Despite a dearth of experience in the passing game, the Toronto Argonauts traded Canadian receiver Obed Cetoute to the Saskatchewan Roughriders for non-import offensive lineman Jonathan St-Pierre on Saturday.

Cetoute joins a healthy stable of Canadian recievers in Regina made up of Andy Fantuz, Rob Bagg, Chris Getzlaf and Jason Clermont. Cetoute has not played since midway through the 2008 season due to injuries.

St-Pierre, who was drafted in the second round (10th overall) of the 2008 CFL Canadian Draft, could earn a position on the rebuilding offensive line in Toronto.

http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=323757

Bit of a shocker considering one of the many questions about the argos going into camp was the depth at NI receiver and the depth the Riders already have there.

That's steal by Jim Barker, provided St-Pierre's knee is healthy.

Other than Chiu's retirement, I still don't see anything for roster moves made by Montreal after rookie camp. Is there anything in the Montreal papers?

Cody Pickett was cut, Flory, Hawkins and Ferri are placed on the disabled list. Anything else is a miztary

Thanks, HfxTC. I really don't understand why it's such a big secret.

We don't either.

Pretty easy to have more than the 68 bodies your supposed to, see Hamilton.

You have no idea how much it pains me to say something that could be construed as defending the Ticats shudders but it is 68 players plus non-counters which I think makes the limit 73(?).