League Discipline, a Look into the Future.....

Jump on my time machine.

Mark Cohon is negotiating the CFLPA. The CFL wants better player discipline. The CFLPA says keep it the same.

So fans, would you support a lockout by the league to get the discipline back where it belongs? Would you keep it as is and let the cheap shots and head hunting go unpenalized by the league with their token $500.00 & $1,000 fines?

Would you watch replacement players if it came down to it?

Could the CFL survive a lockout?

A thread from the future.........

Debate away!

No Lockout would Cripple the CFL so the PA and board of directors would agree on something real quick like honestly its as simple as we keep the fines in place but on top of that we add 1-3 games in suspension.

A lockout would hurt the league too much. If the players want to protect eachother they need to agree to possible suspensions for boneheaded plays that put a player at risk.

Well, before we can start discussing a solution, we first need to identify the problem. As ro has stated many times, every league has an appeals process, and I've even seen players appeal suspensions in the NFL and win. I don't think the appeal process is really the problem.

something needs to be done before someone gets put in a wheel chair permanantly.

You know what I don’t get?

The CFLPA seems to put more emphasis on the guilty player than the victim. After the Jimenez incident, I figured nobody would ever get a suspension until a “star” player got knocked out. What would have happened if Kevin Glenn was knocked out for the balance of the season?

Interesting debate.

I agree, a lockout would hurt the CFL.So, a follow up question:

What can the CFL do if the CFLPA tells them to take a hike?

I know a suitable punishment .. they have to listen to Kanga's ideas for changing the CFL for one hour..I'm sure that would be more painful than any suspension they could impose.... :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

According to the Winnipeg Sun, the league admitted that it didn't suspend Barrenechea because, based on precedent, it felt a suspension would be overturned on appeal.

"We have a system in place that needs to be overhauled," CFL chief operating officer Michael Copeland told the Winnipeg Sun. "It's a system that prevents issuing penalties of a more substantial nature in incidents we think it's justified. With respect to similar hits (like the one on Glenn), we have established a standard that is a fine rather than a suspension."

[url=http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=251275&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_cfl]http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=251275& ... cStory_cfl[/url]

Sounds like the reason he wasn't suspended was because of precedent.

You are a sick, sick man. :wink:

As with any collective agreement it can be negotiated. I believe the problems over the past two seasons will make the issue a key item from the CFL BOG point of view. If the league wants to get serious they say no new CFLPA Agreement without changes.

The light response of the league to the hit on Glenn is ridiculous and disrespectful to all players in the CFL.
Such a dirty hit should have resulted in the immediate removal of Barrenechea from the league.
Such soft discipline will lead to a player not being able to come back from a dirty hit.
What does the CFL plan to do when this happens? :cry:

But jm, he is right.....It is punishment! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

....awww...c'mon you guys....Kanga had some great ideas....i particularly liked the one about the CFLS , expansion to Alaska....i know sport really liked that one also :lol: :lol:

Edited - Spamming