Latest TV ratings

[url=http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2010/09/here-the-most-watched-sports-events-on-english-language-canadian-tv-over-the-weekend-according-to-bbm-canada-overnight-ratin.html]http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/20 ... ratin.html[/url]

Here the most-watched sports events on English-language Canadian TV over the weekend, according to BBM Canada overnight ratings:

[b]1. CFL, Blue Bombers at Roughriders, Sunday, TSN: 1,340,000

1. CFL, Eskimos at Stampeders, Monday, TSN: 1,083,000

2. CFL, Lions at Alouettes, Friday, TSN: 914,000

3. CFL, Argonauts at Tiger-Cats, Monday, TSN: 879,000[/b]

4. MLB, Blue Jays at Yankees, Sunday, Sportsnet: 703,000

5. MLB, Blue Jays at Yankees, Saturday, Sportsnet: 631,000

6. Auto racing, NASCAR Sprint Cup, Sunday, TSN: 426,000

7. Tennis, U.S. Open, Saturday, TSN: 268,000

8. Tennis, U.S. Open, Friday, TSN: 153,000

9. Tennis, U.S. Open, Monday, TSN: 128,000

Interesting.. less than one million watched the so-called "REAL" LDC in Hamilton on Monday... hell, more people watched the second game last Monday.. could it be that the "real" classic was Sunday's game? :stuck_out_tongue: C'mon Blogskee... cry Wee Wee Wee all the way home! :wink:

Since rds wasn't included it more the likely the montreal game was the most watched.

Just curious when did Labour Day Monday become Labour Day Sunday?

Some other numbers, just for fun (based on the numbers available from Sports Media Blog, rounded to the nearest 1000).

Season average TV audience size: 850,000 (up about 30,000 from last week's average).

Last week's average: 1,054,000

Average audience by team:
BC, 872,000
Cal, 795,000
Edm, 839,000
Sas, 1,022,000
Ham, 773,000
Mon, 841,000
Tor, 761,000
Win, 853,000

Estimated average team audience:
BC, 486,000
Cal, 345,000
Edm, 340,000
Sas, 653,000
Ham, 310,000
Mon, 340,000
Tor, 388,000
Win, 482,000
(I.e. approximate average number of BC fans watching BC games, Calgary fans watching Calgary games, etc.)

First, congrats to Saskatchewan and to Winnipeg.

Second, although the numbers are great, they don't tell a complete story. When you deal with pure numbers, there is always as Paul Harvey says, "the other side of the story". We don't know may things such as, what was the competition or what was on other channels at the time. What was the percentage of total viewers. What is the average viewership on the days involved. I know many people (myself included, due to work) were on the road on Monday, returning from wherever and not being able to watch TV. I am saying this, not to take away from the Sunday game, just saying that there are many other factors.

Or the poll that was just done on CFL interest across Canada, Which backs these numbers up completely !

What does that have to do with anything :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: If we went by popularity, TOR HAM would have been played WED afternoon !

In addition, those numbers are estimated. Its probably a lot more !!!!!!!!!!!

Doubtful as the game didn’t even break the top 30 on the french list.

Awesome numbers.
Just this week Cohon said how the RDS numbers for the Als were virtually identical to the TSN, meaning nearly 2 million.
Wow.

Where do we find the publication of the French list? I’ve always wanted to put the two together each week so that we can stop once and for all the uncertainty about how much is missing from the TorStar list. C’est tanant !!

Fantastic numbers. Numbers will keep on improving during the second half of the season.

BBM Canada website.

How do you arrive at these numbers? The blogger doesn’t show a regional breakdown.

The equation may be written as follows: 3.9659 + (Beers consumed x .233) + (Nachos consumed x .044) - (Pee breaks x 2.8) - (Hangover hours x .73).

Very similar to the CFL.ca power ranking system.

I must add that this years ratings are far better than last years (which were already very good)
As I predicted at the start of the season, this will be the best season in terms of ratings for the CFL. Attendance is pretty much on par with previous seasons.

:lol: Sounds about right.

Sorry for adding more, but I couldn’t edit.

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/bye-bye-ivor-wynne/article1699616/?cmpid=rss1]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... cmpid=rss1[/url]

Interesting points

But a 60-inch plasma and a bar fridge can change a lot of minds on a cool October afternoon. Cohon admits the future lies in getting rid of tumbledown parks such as Ivor Wynne so fans can enjoy a more comfortable experience. “Part of the process we’ve been working on (to address the concern) is new stadiums,? he said Monday in Calgary. “If you look at what’s happening in Winnipeg, in B.C., Ottawa, in Hamilton it’s all about creating an environment where fans want to come to the stadiums, and that’s what we’re going to try to do.?

Translation: Bye-bye Ivor Wynne.

Early Risers: Speaking of game day at Ivor Wynne, inquiring minds wanted to know why the Tiger Cats/Argos contest was played earlier in the day as opposed to in prime time - as has happened previously to excellent ratings. The move probably dampened Monday’s PPM numbers and pushed Calgary’s game back to a 4 p.m. local start and meant less than a full house. “Talking to our partners, (it was) Hamilton not wanting to go too late,? explained Cohon. “They wanted their fans to enjoy the day... Talking to team officials in (Calgary) they like to start a little earlier, too. It’s something we’re going to look at in the off-season. We’ll do big numbers on this show. With RDS (in Quebec), we’ll do 900,000, and we’re very pleased with the way things are going.?

Cohon admitted reading our advice to Keith Pelley, new president of Rogers Communications, about Rogers’ dumping its NFL pretensions and embracing his league. Asked if he endorsed our thoughts, Cohon demurred. “Keith and I are friends. We talk to everyone. We have a solid partner with TSN. We know out property is a very valuable property.? Translation: Not going to go there.

Grab yourself some beer and nachos. This could take a while.

Earlier on in the season, I noticed a trend that I’m sure surprises no-one: regardless of who’s playing, Saskatchewan tends to draw large TV numbers. They’re not always the top, but their average is the highest. Hamilton, on the other hand, tends to draw fairly low numbers (sadly). Their average is 2nd lowest. So it’s a safe bet that more Riders fans are watching Riders games than fans of whatever team they’re playing. Likewise, it’s a safe bet that fewer TiCats fans are watching than fans of whatever team they’re playing. That got me to wondering if there is some way to determine, based on the numbers alone, roughly how many people were watching a game for one team, and how many were watching for the other.

The answer came to me a couple weeks ago. If we take an individual game, say the BC @ Montreal game of this past weekend, then the total of the numbers of BC fans and Montreal fans watching is 914,000. We can write this out as an equation
#BC + #Montreal = 914,000
Likewise, for the Edmonton @ Calgary game there were 1,083,000 viewers, so we get the equation
#Edmonton + #Calgary = 1,083,000
We can do the same thing for every game of the season to get a whole bunch of equations. To find #Team for each team, we just need to find a solution to all of these equations. That is find numbers for #BC, #Calgary, #Edmonton, etc. that make each equation true. For any number of reasons, though, the number of people watching per week is not going to be the same (just look at the numbers for the 4 Hamilton-Winnipeg games). Things get in the way that make it impossible to watch every single game of our favourite team. That means that we won’t actually be able to find #BC, #Calgary, etc. because these numbers change from week to week. The best you can hope for is an average, and the number of people watching per week is approximately equal to the average. So if we know the average numbers of BC fans and Montreal fans watching their teams per week, for example, then we get
Avg#BC + Avg#Montreal ~ 914,000
We also have
Avg#Edmonton + Avg#Calgary ~ 1,083,000

Now, instead of looking for numbers that give equality, which we’ll never get, we look for numbers Avg#BC, Avg#Calgary, etc. that get us as close the actual TV numbers as possible, thus minimizing the difference between the actual TV numbers and the numbers that would be predicted if we used the numbers Avg#BC, Avg#Calgary, etc. It would be a pain to do this by hand, but it can be done with a computer using established methods which are provably correct (that is, it can be proved that the numbers output by the computer are as close to the TV numbers as possible).

It seems a bit magical, even to me. It also ignores the fact that some people, possibly many, aren’t necessarily fans of a particular team and are just watching because they are fans of the CFL. So take it with a grain of salt. What I can say with certainty, though, is that these numbers are the best that we can have without actually asking the people watching why they’re watching (even a regional breakdown is imperfect, since not everyone watching in a particular location is a fan of the nearest team).

Either that, or use Deanjo’s formula.