Latest on TV Ratings

Not much about TV ratings lately so I thought I would post this. Popped into canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/ and read this about ratings from last weekend. Of note: over 800k for Mon @ Tor on Sunday afternoon against the mighty NFL. Don't tell me Sunday afternoon CFL games are a bad idea.

MLB Wins Friday Night, but CFL Wins Weekend Ratings Battle

In a rare occurance, a baseball game beat CFL Friday Night Football this past weekend; however, the 110-yard game stormed back to take the highest sports rating of the weekend. Thanks to Whitey Fisk and Bill Brioux for publicizing many of these.

CFL
BC-HAM, Oct 12, TSN: 571, 000
SSK-EDM, Oct 13, TSN: 888, 000
MTL-TOR, Oct 14, TSN/RDS: 842, 000

MLB
STL-WSH (g5), Oct 12, SN: 610, 000
DET-NYY (g1), Oct 13, SN: 730, 000
STL-SF (g1), Oct 14, SN: 389, 000
STL-SF (g2), Oct 15, SN: 448, 000

NFL
GB-HOU, Oct 14, TSN: 398, 000
DEN-SD, Oct 15, TSN: 563, 000

All numbers are BBM Canada AMA 2+

So, as you can see, baseball won head-to-head on Friday, but football (CFL and NFL) won head-to-head on Saturday and Sunday.

Not really any big surprises, but I did think STL-SF would slightly edge out GB-HOU on Sunday night. The difference was only a few percentage points and considering viewers could have watched FOX and NBC (respectively), the margin of error is probably close enough that neither truly won. Regardless, TSN’s football beat Sportsnet’s baseball two out of three nights.

The small percentage difference between the NLCS and Sunday Night Football is a completely different story than in America where the Packers-Texans game on NBC had almost triple the number of viewers as baseball on FOX.

Also of note, Felix Baumgartner’s thrilling jump to earth from over 125, 000 feet in the air attracted an averaged audience of 435, 000 on Sportsnet Sunday morning over 3 hours. That’s impressive considering the first two and a half hours were spent watching him slowly go up into the atmosphere. The audience peaked at 1.25 million as he was falling. Nearly 1.9 million viewers watched at least some of the broadcast, which shows there were a few who got bored with the long wait and gave never came back.

the baseball numbers over the weekend are quite unremarkable, especially for ALCS and NLCS championship playoff games.

Thanks for posting deerk.
These are awesome numbers.
I am with you as the league should play every Sunday and go up against the NFL when they start playing as it is no contest.

I've always thought Sunday games were a mistake, but this disproves that theory. Possible reasons could be baseball is a relatively dull and very slow sport and NFL is in the early boring part of their schedule while the CFL is in their playoff run. Friday nights numbers are the most impressive. Best in the league vs 2nd worst and the NLCS game only beat it by 40k.

Great to see the league getting good ratings. :rockin:

A bit surprised with the B.C-Hamilton #"s, as from what I've read most games featuring the Lions have attracted an audience of 800k+. How does an average audience of 750k or so this year compare to the ratings from 2010, before the sizable drop off in 2011? While it won't have an effect on the Nielsen ratings here in the states, I'll make sure my local bar has at least 1 t.v. tuned into NBC Sports for tonights game

I hope they're showing the BC/Edm game. If they have to watch the Argos and Bombers they'll never watch a CFL game again. :wink:

The current numbers this year which are averaging around 800,000 is pretty much on the numbrs at peak for 2010..

Steve Simmons put a negative spin on the CFL ratings in the Sunday Star. Goof!

Great games ALL weekend so it should help.

Summer its not a great but in the fall it makes sense IMO.

Articles like his discredit him as an honnest reporter and really expose him as a shill.

what were Simmons remarks regarding the CFL ratings Kevy?
(searched but could not locate the quotes)

thx

Steve Simmons is in the same category as Damian Cox !

Yes. Both of them are clowns with no credibility. Neither is an honest reporter. They're both columnists (paid to stir up the pot by being jerks).

As for the ratings, great to see. It's funny we haven't been hearing much about tv ratings in the media.

It is just a small blurb on his Sunday page. What he said...

The CFL’s television contract is up at the end of the season and ratings are going in the wrong direction. When an observer commented that the Thanksgiving game between Saskatchewan and Toronto did more than one million viewers, the TV executive said: “That’s one game. Saskatchewan used to do a million every game.?

That is simply not true.
It is therefore a lie.

Want to bet this was BS from a Sportsnet exec :wink:

Stevie knows though that people love to read about the CFL. Just about everything about our league is news, and that's good, right Steve? :wink:

This according to Chris Cuthbert. Not too shabby at all. Football in the snow might be the gretest thrill in all football. For the CFL to have the top 4 rated telecats on one weekend puts to bed the nonsense about TV ratings being soft.

#CFL games sweep top 4 in wkend Can. sports ratings. #CalStampeders #Ticats Snow Bowl tops at 929k, BC-EE 729k, Mtl-Ssk 720k, Wpg-Tor 688.
https://twitter.com/CCtsn/status/260474285968216064

Its Fall season and there is no NHL hockey. What would TSN be showing if they didn’t have the CFL for 12 hours of broadcasting on the weekend ? Show Slap Shot and Rocky all weekend ? CFL is the difference maker and allows TSN to own the sports tv landscape 12 months a year and the ratings have nearly doubled over the last six or seven years. Of course the competitiors will talk Shiat.

It is just a small blurb on his Sunday page. What he said...

The CFL’s television contract is up at the end of the season and ratings are going in the wrong direction. When an observer commented that the Thanksgiving game between Saskatchewan and Toronto did more than one million viewers, the TV executive said: “That’s one game. Saskatchewan used to do a million every game.?

Want to bet this was BS from a Sportsnet exec

If he said that CFL TV ratings were headed in the wrong direction he would be right. I know that we are not supposed to talk about things like that because if you say anything that is portrayed as crticism, you are accused of being anti-CFL,

But the reality is that in 2010 the average ratings were over 800,000 but dropped to 700,000 in 2011. So far in 2012 the ratings have been down and the CFL has been very careful not to mention the ratings being down. But now it's fall and the ratings are creeping up.
I don't think that Saskatchewan "used to do a million every game" you can go back and look at the BBM ratings, the only time the CFL ever got over a million was during the playoffs.

The ratings are still way up though from what they were - when TSN took over exclusive rights 5 years ago the average viewership was around 300,000 and TSN at that time was encouraged because that was way up from the CBC days.
The CFL has good ratings when compared to other sports, so let's not get panicky and defensive when someone speaks the truth.