Latest on Moncton Stadium

Well they could put Temparory seats at both endzones and some on the track,i think there goal shold be about 20k,and it looks like the feild extends alot farther south than the south so temp seats could be put there

They are already planning on seating capacity of 20k for sporting events. Of which 10K of those will be temporary bleacher type seats I would assume. I'm not sure how they do it in London, but would those temporary seats be owned by the facility and then they'd just roll them out everytime they need that much seating capacity. I know TD Waterhouse stadium seats 8,000 but with temporary seating it can be as high as 16,000. Where do they store the 8,000 worth of bleacher type seating when they aren't using it? How long does it take to get them in place? If they are moveable, could they not be put on the track closer to the field for football and soccer events as opposed to track meets? Anyone know?

Bighands. 16,000 is still too small for a CFL stadium.
I would say for a city London's size, the thing should hold at least 30,000. But when you have dumbells running the city, you get what we have right now. A bandbox. Too bad, becuase the CFL would be huge here.

I think the stadium looks better than TD Waterhouse.

TD Waterhouse has two aluminum grandstands, the Moncton stadium appears to have at lease one made out of concrete.

If TD Waterhouse were to be expanded, they'd need to knock down both aluminum grandstands (they can't be moved, they're stuck in the ground with concrete). Therefore, for CFL purposes, the stadium might as well not be there at all.

In Moncton, CFL-sized expansion would only require the demolition of the aluminum grandstand. They still have one grandstand with concessions, dressing rooms, media room, boxes etc. The expanded stadium could easily be over the 25k mark if they do a bowl around the whole field, along with a second tier opposite the current grandstand.

Furthermore, don't forget the surrounding infrastructure. The Moncton stadium is being designed to accomodate as many as 28k people. That means good parking and roads. TD Waterhouse has only one approach and it's a tiny road. Even if there were someone crazy enough to want to expand TD, they'd have to spend even more millions trying to build better infrastructure, and i don't even think that's possible.

And don't forget the politicians in New Brunswick, it seems like they're willing to do a little work for a team.

I'm wondering if London wasn't given the cold shoulder by the CFL for a team there if anyone approached the city way back before TD Waterhouse Stadium was built which is why no one stepped up to the plate to be sure it could be expanded easily. I have no idea on this though.

Bighands. 16,000 is still too small for a CFL stadium.
Yeah I totally agree. I was asking if there were comparisons that could be drawn between the two stadiums. In other words is the Moncton stadium, like London, far too inadequate for the CFL? Or are we closer with Moncton's stadium?

I'd like to know that too Bighands. What sort of stadium is it? Does it have proper 21st century seating, or it is simple bleachers with no seat backs? Does it have adequate washrooms and concessions? Luxury boxes? Suites? Clubhouse facilities?

If the answer is no to ANY of the above then it is simply not good enough, regardless of size.

Definitely closer. TD waterhouse has one washroom, no concessions, no surrounding infrastructure, one entrance, is in the middle of residential a residential area, and no interested politicians.

That is where I think (pure speculation based on what I've read so far) Moncton is stepping up their game a little. I believe that one of the stands is seated, has the adequate washrooms and facilities and it looks like there are some suites as well. The only problem is that I think (even though) the permanent seating has been increased to 10,000, the portion that has the necessary suites and seats etc. have remained the same and they have just added the aluminum bleachers on the other side (another 5000)and counted that as part of the permanent seating.

So it looks like it in reality is 5000 permanent CFL quality seats and 15,000 other, being 5000 permanent more and 10,000 temporary.

OOps I guess you just stated that Dmont. Sorry, I was interrupted mid post.

aluminum benches aren't so bad for end zone seating or upper deck, but on the sides? atleast get the wooden benches with the long wooden backs running down the rows.

bench seating isnt good enough for the cfl? when i was at ivor winne last summer i sat on a warped piece of lumber glued to a cement block!

Nova Scotian. That is a disgrace. Sitting on a peice of lumber?
This is why this league needs some new stadiums, or at least stadium upgrades as soon as possible.

And Bighands. London is run by people who know squat about Canadian sports. They spent bigtime on bringing these minor league baseball teams here, but the only problem was people in London hate baseball.

So what we have right now is a fancy baseball stadium, Labatts Park, that holds about 10,000, but the only people who use it is the intercounty league team, the Majors, who draw about 100 people, and these kids baseball leagues.

Labatts Park put TD Stadium to shame. It even has plastic seats behind home plate for several rows.
My dream would be for the CFL team to play there.
It has been used for football before.

But we have dumbells running this city. They think too smalltime. London will forever be a pitstop between Toronto and Detroit.Because there is absolutely nothing here to do.

haha…ever been to IWS?..lol

I have been there once. I saw the Ticats play Sacramento.
From what I remember, there wasn't much to remember. We sat on a hard bench. The stadium itself was barebones. Good atmosphere. Ticats blew out Sacramento. But the stadium was nothing to write home about.
I can just imagine how bad it is now, 15 years later. I bet you the beer cup I left under my bench is still there.

I've been to Skydome, Frank Clair and Commonwealth, and I'd rather watch a football game at Ivor Wynne than at any of these other places.

It has wooden benches, but "warped lumber glued to a cement block"? That's a gross exaggeration!

The stadium is clean. The washrooms are clean. There is a much larger selection at the concession booths than at any of the other stadiums I've been to. The sight lines are unobstructed, and the stands are right on top of the action.

It is getting old, and it may need to be replaced soon. Unfortunately, the federal and provincial governments are too busy building more soccer fields in Toronto to contribute any money to a stadium for Hamilton. This means the cost of a new stadium -- or even stadium renovations, which would need to be considerable -- would have to come from private investors and municipal taxpayers. But the boneheads at city hall, the same ones who commissioned a report stating that repairs must be made immediately, are too busy deciding what to do with the buildings that are literally collapsing in the downtown core, those same buildings that they were told should have been repaired years ago. So apparently the only way a new stadium will be built in Hamilton is if the current one gets the attention of our city councillors in the only way it can: by falling to the ground.

And we can only hope the sight lines will be as good.

Doesn't Molson Stadium have all metal bleacher seating? Montrealer's don't seem to mind.
It's not ideal, but bleacher seating isn't a deal breaker for most people who might go to a game.

I have to agree with BigDave. As much as I believe that modern stadiums with comfortable, chair seating should be the rule for all new stadiums, nothing compares to Ivor Wynne. It has by far the best football atmosphere of any stadium I have ever been to. I mean the place reeks of football history and it's simply a blast to go there. I love that place.

But Ivor Wynne is an exception. No place should think that bleacher seating is good enough, and few places have the cultural background to pull off building a low-quality stadium and have it be accepted by the fans for very long. The focus should be on providing as few excuses for fans to stay away as possible. That starts with a providing a comfortable, entertaining place that is also a spectacle that fans can be proud of.

Yes a great place to watch a game, the old IW is but it is done.
A new stadium is desperately needed for the Hammer, Regina and of course Winnipeg.
As for Moncton, do it right or don't do it at all at least not involving the CFL.

mix of fixed and temporary bleachers will allow for a number of seating combinations that will give the facility a capacity of up to 20,000 spectators for sporting events and up to as much as 28,000 for concerts or other events in which the infield can be used for spectators.
[url]http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/275899[/url]

20,000 is enough,i just wonder if the tempoary seats will be on the track or at the endzones[/url]