Here is the latest info that I have been able to locate either print media or my contacts. Although it is not really saying anything good or bad, I would think the amount of $ necessary to keep the Gades going has been discussed. The next is the discussion and vote by the BOG.
Site Map Â»
Tom Wright meets with Renegades owners
3/20/2006 6:17:56 PM
OTTAWA (CP) - CFL commissioner Tom Wright and Ottawa Renegades owners Bernie Glieberman and William Smith met Monday to discuss the future of the team.
''Significant progress was achieved in establishing clarity and identifying options for 2006 and beyond,'' the CFL said in a short statement.
The league did not elaborate and said no further comment will be made until the matter went to a board of governors' conference call later this week.
The Ottawa Citizen reported last week that majority owner Glieberman has been waffling about his continued financial support of the money-losing team since his son and former club president Lonie Glieberman resigned.
There is also a question over whether Smith will fund his share of losses this season after Glieberman assumed the team's entire $3.8-million shortfall in 2005.
The parties will have to decide how to divvy up losses expected to reach at least $5 million in 2006, the Citizen said.
Smith says he is not willing to be the club's sole financier. If Glieberman left, the league and its other eight teams would have to decide whether to fund the Renegades in 2006 or fold the franchise.