last play of the half

I thought at the time that Sask should have gone for the TD at the 2 yard line on the last play of the half instead of settling for the field goal. Looks like that was the difference.

That's a tough one, I think they did the right thing, they had the lead in hand and if they didn't make it all of a sudden you give the momentum to the Als for the 2nd half. Ball on the 1 yard line, that might be different.

It was a tough call for sure. If they'd gone for the TD and made it, Montreal might have been buried at that point and not been able to rally. But go for the TD and not get it, major momentum shift at the half.

As crucial was that single point. . . having declined the first penalty, and made the Als kick again, why not do it again after the second penalty? As things turned out, that single was darned important.

[quote="MadJack"]It was a tough call for sure. If they'd gone for the TD and made it, Montreal might have been buried at that point and not been able to rally. But go for the TD and not get it, major momentum shift at the half.

As crucial was that single point. . . having declined the first penalty, and made the Als kick again, why not do it again after the second penalty? As things turned out, that single was darned important.[/quote]

Right On!

At the time I was thinking this would give the Riders a chance to really put the Als in a spot, but kicking the field goal and taking the 14 point advantage was the right thing to do. You have to put the points on the board and not give Montreal the chance to stop you at the end of the half.

There were plenty of other decisions made late in the second half of the game that I would question could have put Saskatchewan on top.

I also thought it was weird that they made them kick after the first penalty, and then not the second, and concede the point. On the second kick the ball rolled into the endzone, and the punt returner was close to catching it. Move back some more, and he may have been able to return it out to where the ended up getting the ball. Who knows, maybe they would keep getting procedure calls.

PJ

Yes, and puzzling as it is to many as to how the Riders, on the final play of the biggest game of the year, could have too many men on the field. . .

How in heck does Montreal, in the biggest game of the year, get flagged not once but twice, on two consecutive plays, for having no end??

Yup.

If they didn't give Montreal the single, they may not have scored a TD on the drive afterwards, as they would have started with poorer field position.

Who knows, if they made Montreal kick again, they may have ended up with better field position, and still been one point ahead. On the second kick, the punt rolled past the returner into the endzone, he may have gotten an even better chance to return it.

Lots of ifs and who knows in a game that ended up in a one point difference.