Last Call - Story of Toronto and what is the real problem

Another stadium and move the argos why didn’t they think of that before that will make money and attract fans …oh wait did that…no it won’t not on it’s own.
The only thing a new stadium will do is bring out the lookie loos to ha e a peek at what their tax dollars will be paying for once they have their look then the attendance will shrink and level off again. Isn’t that right ticat fans?

A new football stadium for the Argos isn't going to happen IMHO. That's for sure. BMO is a pretty darn good football stadium from what I can see and in a decent location.

A new stadium doesn’t get built for the Argos in Toronto - because it makes no economic sense to do so. Had it - somebody would have built one for them years ago - and they would not have had to piggy back on an expansion of BMO for TFC (and outdoor hockey games) as a tenant in somebody else’s stadium.

You clearly don’t understand my points. In the Toronto area there are three truly major - best in the world - leagues - no other Canadian city has more than one (NHL).

CFL is a nice, entertaining Canadian league - but it is not a world’s best major sports league. Everybody in Toronto knows they have teams in the very best league in the world in hockey, basketball and baseball - and a team in a nice |Canadian football league and a nice North American soccer league. Most people in Toronto look at the NFL as the ‘world’s best’ major league of football. That’s the reality. So the Argos are not considered major league.

That doesn’t mean they won’t ever succeed there - but acknowledging that reality - especially among the under 35 market - is a good place to start. Find your niche in that market, just like TFC seem to be doing, Toronto Rock do in lacrosse.

The Ti-Cats are the big fish in the small pond of Hamilton - but you will find many people in this city - especially younger ones - will tell you it’s a very good league that they enjoy - but it is not a major league the way they look at the NHL, MLB, NBA and NFL. Many go to Cats games and watch some of their games on TV but rarely watch any other CFL games. That is certainly true of young members of my family who I go to Ti-Cats games with.

Had you gone into a sports bar in this city (Hamilton) this past Sunday afternoon when there were NFL games and a CFL game being played - you would find almost all - if not all TV’s had the NFL games on - not the Stamps - Als. And that is because that is what people want on those TV’s - otherwise they would ask to have the channel changed.

oh i understand. toronto people dont think cfl is major league because of the nfl but ppl in regina and wpg and ott and edm and cgy dont see it that way?

how stupid.

that is like saying hockey is more awesome than football so i wont enjoy football.

or someone in los angeles saying pro is better than amateur so i wont care about my trojans no longer after 100 yrs because its not pro.

get my point?

its not the teams. its the people. toronto is a messed up community cause no pro team holds value to them due to various of reasons.

CFL is just as important as hockey in majority of cdn cities. just like it is in thousands of usa towns and cities.

What the heck are you talking about. Toronto right now has a reputation for having some of the loudest, most passionate fans for basketball and baseball and are at or near the top in attendance in both those leagues. And of course if the Leafs ever get decent again the same will be true of them.

What do you mean ‘pro teams hold no value to them’? People were living and dying with the Jays by the hundreds of thousands in that city through September and the playoffs. Not only was Rogers Centre full, sports bars were full, thousands watched on a big screen in Nathan Phillips Square. Just like thousands stretched for blocks down Bremner Avenue to watch the Raps playoff games last year.

There was Blue Jays stuff everywhere in that city. Local Toronto media were wall to wall Blue Jays stuff - because that is what people in that city wanted to read and hear about in that city. They were being fans - rabid, engaged ones.

Where were you when all that was happening?

Travel you are nuts with zero knowledge of facts.

Toronto is not a major sports town. its a hockey town. Where were you the last 10 yrs when the Blue Jays were scrapping by with little to no profits. Where were you when only 12k would show up to a big Blue Jays game?

Blue Jays lost an entire generation and had zero passion in that city. When the BJ's made a playoff run people attended games. tourists included. Many tickets at discounted price for years for date night.

The Raptors were destined to relocate 7 yrs ago. remember that? where were you? Raptors are almost null and void in that community. but raptors broadcasters will tell you otherwise cause they see a black kid bouncing a ball in the court or kids are playing basketball in recess or because an overrated NBA player is from a town near toronto.

this has been done before. 20 yrs ago. we played basketball more than anyone. doesn't mean we were raptor fans. most ppl werent even bball fans its what we did.

Its a night out entertainment that holds no value to the city of Toronto. If the raps moved nobody would care. Blue Jays are more popular I agree. But never consider Toronto a sports town cause its one of the worst town of all time.

The Leafs overlap the spring Argos season.
Jays share the summer with the Argos (the Argos were the only summer team in town at one time) ... well enough said.
TFC share the summer and a stadium with the Argos (but are not too much of a threat for now).
Raptors overlap the fall Argo season.

Name another city in Canada that has this type of sports competition
... umm crickets are chirping.

[url=http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?4620-Yes-it-s-True...I-ve-Jumped-Ship]http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php? ... umped-Ship[/url]

People in Toronto are just different due to their lifestyle. Its what I said in my first article on this subject.

There are people everywhere in Canada that think hockey sucks. Baseball sucks. Football sucks. Golf sucks. And there are others who are passionate it among obsession.

Its not a big deal. What we know is that the best media company TSN and all their properties treat the CFL just like they do the NFL,MLB, NHL, NCAA sports.

Its a strong property.

[b]Our issue is not Toronto. But how we grow the business. And our commissioner should be the one tossing out ideas.

Not their fans.[/b]