Landry: Readying for the Lions-Bombers clash

Boil it down, if you’d like, to its most basic form and Saturday night’s must-see football between the visiting Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the BC Lions becomes a game centred around answering this question: Who wins the battle between the touchdown-makers and the touchdown-breakers?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/08/landry-readying-for-the-lions-bombers-clash/
1 Like

5 out of 6 so called CFL experts have "predicted" a BC win over the Bombers??? I am finding the CFL's lean to promote the new and the young is a bit over the top. The Bombers are a proven and experienced team - who win. My money is on Winnipeg!

2 Likes

Well that's a bad bet no matter who you think is an expert. Winnipeg has been squeaking out wins, has a run game that regressed at least 5 years, a defense that has been good but not great (DE's and MLB yes but the rest are suspect), and a pass game that lost some major talent and...kinda replaced them.
BC is also at home and has been absolutely steamrolling other teams. Could they be overconfident? Maybe. But their defense has also been playing lights out in 2 of their 3 games.
Lastly Winnipeg is coming off its second road game in less that a week with a 5 day turn-around between games. Minimal amount of rest for the players, minimal amount of time to game plan for this game.

Winnipeg's defense will keep the score lower than what Rourke has been getting lately but they won't be able to keep it close and you'll probably see a 38-22 BC win with BC getting something like 14 in the first quarter, another 10 in the second, 7 in the 3rd (Richie Hall is great at adjusting) and then 18 in the 4th most likely off a couple of picks as Winnipeg starts trying to force it.

Not too much money is on our Bombers I hope. We'll be well rested for our next game against the Stamps. Bet the farm on THAT one.

1 Like

Well I mean you can be a fan and cheer and hope for your team but be realistic, right? I was hopeful and optimistic about the Riders first game against Montreal (similar timeframe of two away games and also a major injury on the offensive line) but wasn't gonna be the farm they were gonna win. A bad loss isn't always a bad thing because a teams worst flaws can be shown and the good teams will make the adjustments in following games to remove said flaws.

1 Like

Most other teams just use a good commercial grade flaw remover.

1 Like

Those are all possible reasons why Winnipeg will likely lose tomorrow, in addition to mounting key injuries. The Bombers of course won’t go 18-0 and this looks like a week that they will probably lose. Gotta go with the odds.

As a Bomber fan picking BC in the pool is win/win. If Winnipeg wins, well it is only a damn pool and real life counts more. If BC wins then I gain another victory in the life enhancing character revealing forum pool.

2 Likes

Should be the best game of the week (month)
No excuses for either team about weather, short week, injuries etc for this one.

2 Likes

We're ALL wiser thanks to the Life Enhancing Character Revealing Forum Pool (or 'L.E.C.R.F.P.' for short). :smiley:

3 Likes

Or it could be a craptacular defensive game where the DBs smother almost all passing routes and the run games on both sides fizzle. BC's defense has done well too this year so could legit be a game to fall asleep to.

Jeez man this is CFL game of the week material you're sneering at. Are you positive about ANYTHING?!

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

1 Like

I plan to be parked in front of my TV with ice cold beer and snacks come game time. Afterwards I might be feeling my worst. But that'll be the beer reacting with the beans. The game's gonna be great! :partying_face: :pizza: :beer: :boom:

1 Like

[quote="Ourballsarebigger, post:10, topic:79094"]

Or it could be a craptacular defensive game where the DBs smother almost all passing routes and the run games on both sides fizzle. BC's defense has done well too this year so could legit be a game to fall asleep to.

[/quote] not an excuse just

[quote="johnfender, post:8, topic:79094"]

Should be the best game of the week (month)
No excuses for either team about weather, short week, injuries etc for this one.

[/quote] in a perfect world yes none of these factors would affect the game. the Riders got blown out in Montreal on a short week long travel scenario. and came back the very next week and returned the favor to the Alouettes. besides for all the hype it's one game of eighteen. who cares which team is ranked higher after week five. EVERYBODY in the west will lose at some point. the Bombers did not start off last season as the dominating team they would end up being. it's a process. they will be in the mix come crunch time in November.

You’re predicting BC to score 49 according to your numbers per quarter? Not impossible but I think highly unlikely. The earlier start at 6:00 pm CST will be helpful to the Bombers. The later starts are always tougher for teams from Winnipeg and the East. Should be a good game

1 Like

Woops haha started that post and then finished it later so wasn't paying attention....what can I say I'm a riders fan and we sometimes have trouble with adding (mostly counting to 13)

2 Likes

No problem. Thinking they’re going to be an ornery group after the Argos game. Can’t wait

1 Like

Actually that TO game might have a bad affect on Winnipeg. Gives them too much confidence/thinking their game is where is needs to be to win. Its why I'm never upset with a big loss early in the season....it can be good to get the players heads on straight and understand where they need to improve.

I don’t think there is any way the Bombers will be flying high with new found confidence after that relatively ugly win against Toronto. If there is to be any motivation taken by the Bombers after that game, it will be more along the line of your second thoughts. I think they will be reviewing their mistakes and looking to improve.

The Bombers may lose tomorrow. I think they will. They could even lose by a lot. But I guarantee you that it won’t be because of overconfidence or lack of pre game preparation. The hallmark of the Bomber mindset, more than any other team in the CFL, is focusing on what is in front of them one game at a time and realizing that what they may have achieved previously has no bearing on the outcome of the game they are playing. O’Shea is a master at ensuring this mindset is in place at all times. In my opinion he is better at that than actual in game coaching. The vets in the locker room also buy in and make sure that no one thinks otherwise. FIFO after all.

3 Likes

I'm with you on that pick. I did it in Pickem, lets see if it pans out. This game does have a chance to be low scoring if its a close grinder.

Turnovers could be really big here too... Either way it'll be a great marquee game to watch. :slight_smile:

1 Like