Landry: A look at the Stamps, Bombers run games

The stats line screams it from the rooftop: Saturday night’s game between the Calgary Stampeders and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers features one team with a powerful running attack versus one that you can only say is still searching for a way to get people to attach the same adjective to its own running game.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/28/landry-a-look-at-the-stamps-bombers-run-games/

The run game has been a trademark for several years & that was fine when Harris was around. Again running more than anyone but Brady has, uh, ZERO runs over 10 yds this year. Augustine isn't much better. Bomber OL just isn't pushing teams around on the run. Neither of the RB's exceeded 10 yds against the hapless Elks either, who don't even have their best guys @ DT. Once they get back from their break we're approaching fall & the schedule gets tougher for everyone. We'll see if the Bombers can still squeak out victories without a run game. :sunglasses:

1 Like

We're planning to employ the seldom used 'Walk Game'.

Our brilliant Offensive Theorists have deduced that our interior linemen will have more time to execute their blocks if our running backs stop running so darned fast. It's this kind of deep thinking that's kept us in the win column despite not having a run game, a passing game (like last week) or the ability to limit the number of yards our opposition puts up.

You're welcome! :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

For the Blue Bombers sake, think it would be crucial for them to at least have a decent run game against the Stampeders if they want a chance to win, similar to the game in BC where the run game really opened things up for the receivers leading them to the victory. On a personal note, would also like to see a little more Johnny Augustine.

Augustine might be sitting this one out:

He's got an ankle issue so we'll just have to see if he makes the depth chart. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I hope Augustine plays and even more importantly Jeffcoat. Not sure about Mike Miller's status and also hope that the thorax/antenna injury to Geoff Gray will progress past the larva stage.

2 Likes

Thanks to the fast work of our Bomber Training Staff it looks like Geoff Gray has already shed his exoskeleton, climbed out onto a tree branch and is in the process of spinning a really large cocoon. :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Man, that was quick! I have an update on Geoff Gray's status following his emergence from that crazy huge cocoon... and he's seen here resting comfortably, just chillin':

I think he looks good for a hideous B-movie creature from the 1950's. :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Maybe factor in 10 drops by Calgary receivers last game and Bos numbers would be much better including the win

1 Like

Bo's problem is that he tends to throw the ball directly to his receivers. If only his balls didn't hit his receiver's hands ALL the time maybe they'd actually catch something. I mean, if MY balls kept banging into my receiver's hands they'd avoid making eye contact. I'd soon have no friends left. :grimacing:

1 Like

Stamps fans when they lose to Winnipeg : it was luck took zero skill whatsoever
Stamps fan when they beat Winnipeg : no luck in that all skill best team in the league

2 Likes

That's been my understanding for years now. Whenever we travel to play the Stamps our players leave their 'skill' at home and take a carry-on packed with 'luck' instead. :grin:

1 Like

I think you earned a thumbs up from me on that one Jon. Props. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I feel honoured!

My question is now what happens if the stamps lose to Winnipeg especially with almost everything now favouring them what will be the excuse for stamps fans. Since last time they brought the whole book of excuse and bad luck despite again having a more favourable schedule and being better rested than Winnipeg since they barely needed to play there players vs Edmonton.

2 Likes

It will be amusing to watch the Stampeder water dance of justification should indeed they lose tomorrow. The game in itself won’t decide much but this may be the regular season game I want the Bombers to win the most, just so I can observe the excuses sure to come. Even if the Bombers win I am not sure that any of the more rabid Stamp fans will acknowledge that they are a better team.

They have been in denial about Winnipeg being better than them since 2019 saying the weather helps Winnipeg or that they got lucky with zach, forgetting Winnipeg were dominant with nichols at the helm but when he got hurt he was replaced with streveler who while amazing at running the ball couldn’t throw for more than five yards. The truth remains is if Nichols didn’t get hurt Winnipeg would have gotten home field and won it in 2019 and also in 2021. Stamps fans try to refute that by saying they got lucky with zach but Winnipeg only took zach cuz the guy they were dominating the league with got hurt and I may add the entire league when zach joined Winnipeg didn’t want him due to injury reasons and the fact he wasn’t that good the last two years.

1 Like

I guarantee Coach Mike O'Shea would rather have this man in photo as his feature running back for this tough 2022 season. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Kyle Walters should have kept local Winnipeg product-Andrew Harris. :interrobang: