Lancaster staying with the team....

Fair enough.
Please point out the "intelligent thought" in the original post?
Please.

(jumps on Miller91)

(and again)

IMO. neither Ron or Mike have somehow just 'lost it' turbo.

Mike Mc Carthy's contacts in Canada and the U.S.A. are current.

Ron Lancaster will not be coaching or 'pulling strings', turbo

Ron will share his valuable knowledge of today's CFL
with Marcel or Charlie or whoever asks.

Example: how Edmonton's football operations department
which has been so successful so long, is structured and run
and how the personalities within it's ranks think.

Ron knows how because he has been there and worked within it.

P.S.

I appreciate the civil tone of your debate, turbo. :thup:

I could be wrong here but as Senior Director of Football Operations would he not outrank them both?

But you have to put it in proper context.

When he had the tools and proper support he was successful.

What many naysayers neglect to point out is that Lancaster was a victim just, as the fan were, of an ownership that was fading fast and did not have the resources to provide proper staff and players due to very limiting financial constraints. There was a period of erosion in the early 00's when experienced and talented players left for greener pastures on a regualr basis. Look at Clifford Ivory and Orlondo Steinauer two name a couple. They've been around a long time and have excelled.

I give much credit to Lancaster for manning up and weathering the storm so that our storied franchise could barely stay afloat.

And who was there for us and the team in 2006 when he did not want to coach? Ron Lancaster, that's who. A man who was dying out there in the gravest circumstances. A competitor who hates losing, but is bigger than that. It's about the game. Just as when Roger Yachetti stepped up and saved our franchise, I will never forget and always appreciate Ron Lancaster for what he's done in the darkest days of this franchise.

And none of what I mentioned even broaches the subject of his successes as player and coach over many, many years. Some of you can wish him gone, but not me. Im proud and appreciative for every minute he's wearing the black and gold. He's a CFL icon in my book.

http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical/Saskatchewan/Lancaster.R1.JPG

In all my 40 yrs of enjoying the CFL, I have not known a moment without Ronnie being involved somehow. I cannot imagine CFL without him. When you walk though the doors of the CFL hall of fame, the first and last name you see should be his. He should be the most respected member there, always.

For revitalizing the franchise to a Grey Cup win in 1999 and being a rock during the 2003 receivership fiasco alone, Ron Lancaster should be on the Ticat Wall of Fame. Period.

If Charlie Taaffe and the brainstrust see a role for Ron to work in as a advisor/guest coach (as Ron has indicated interest in), guess what? I trust their judgement more than armchair critics whose football savvy seems more appropriate on a milk carton than a football board. :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,

Well Said CaptainKirk. The man knows more about football then most. Thank you Mr Lancaster.

re nwo- "During the marshall years lancaster was allowed to have more say and input because of marshalls inexperience. ' good post nwo---Marshals Downfall, he was never really the h.c to some!

Yeah they sure do and that's been my biggest frustration.

My only concern is that we field a winning team this year. I don't care if they keep Ron on or not. I'm one of those people who actually believes that no one single player (or any other member of the organization for that matter) is solely responsible for what happened to us last season or in any loss. The whole team wins and the whole team loses.

Ron has done a lot for this team and I respect his football knowledge. I trust MD to make the call whether he should remain or not. It's common for people to take an unwarranted beating around here.

It might mean what you imply it means, Ron, but it also might not be that straightforward.

Sport is a very conservative, tradition- and honour-bound world, with a strong tendancy toward nostalgia and sentimentality on one hand, and the closing of ranks to protect the sport and the reputation and integrity of the people within it from "outsiders" on the other. Once you've achieved something or "paid your dues" in a sport, very few people within that sport world will ever speak ill of you, at least until the evidence of decline or some other problem is absolutely undeniable or the guy's moved on.

How many times have we seen guys presented as near-gods, even when there is no longer much tangible evidence of greatness - to uphold the reputation, it's leadership or heart or inspiration or some other intangible, difficult to measure quality instead of talent and results that the guy is said to possess in superhuman quantities? How many guys that are presented as universally loved and respected throughout their career are years later exposed as deeply flawed, much-hated tyrants or worse?

I don't WANT to think that Lancaster's been a major part of the problem with the Cats in recent years, because I'm a fan and I remember many of the great times in his career but, unlike some, I'm also not able to completely discount any possibility that he was any part of the problem either. So, if the organization is ready to move on with a new management team, I wouldn't feel it was unjust if Ron was not offered a role on it.

A thousand thanks for all Ron has done (and maybe endured), but let's move on to better days.

somebody nudge me when its over

I really think Ron's influence is not as big as everyone thinks. I think people are creating alot of 'behind the scenes' controversy and influence that I really think isnt there. Ron has and should always have a place in the CFL and it would be even better if he spent it with the Ticats.

I know this won't change the opinion of anyone
who thinks Greg didn't have full control but
at least it is a fact for them to consider.

I was at many many practices and I never saw
ANY interaction between them on the field.

My sense is that Greg wanted to be his own man
and wasn't inclined to seek out Ron for input.

There may be a lot of wisdom in this anonymous quote

'The fewer clear facts you have in support of an opinion,
the stronger your emotional attachment to that opinion.'

P.S.

Please let me know if the light
that I shined on this matter
has changed your opinion. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

sec72 said
'Once you've achieved something or "paid your dues" in a sport,
very few people within that sport world will ever speak ill of you,
at least until the evidence of decline or some other problem
is absolutely undeniable or the guy's moved on.'

There is some truth in this generalization.

sec72, financial problems were THE major problem
with the Cats after the 1999 Grey Cup until 2004.

Except for a 3 months as GM, during Bob Young's regime

Ron has had a consultant role, first for Greg Marshall
who IMO did not consult much with Ron for coaching advise.
Remember folks, bob stressed Greg marshall was in charge.

Having little or no input, how could Ron be the problem there?

The player personnel and coaching decisions were Greg's.

then, with Rob Katz as GM he definitely sought Ron's input
and he brought in lots of highly accomplished free agents.

The best free agent off season in our history. no problems then!

They came with Greg's questionable player personnel decisions
and Joe Paopao's lousy choice for an offensive system.

When Greg was fired, despite having no desire to coach again
Ron Lancaster stood in as Interim Head Coach.

so a new Head Coach could start with a clean slate
next season.

Here is an article that sums things up nicely...

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061216.BRUNT16/TPStory/Sports/columnists]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... columnists[/url]

This year it's Charlie and Marcels Team!

I think we are back on track with the 5 year plan...let's give them a chance.

Ron has always been a Great Ambassador for the league and the team...let him enjoy it! :thup:

1. The only consistant in the last few years of major mediocrity, Lancaster, still has a job

2. sure he was a great coach, player, mentor, etc. But it's over

It might mean what you imply it means, Ron, but it also might not be that straightforward.

Sport is a very conservative, tradition- and honour-bound world, with a strong tendancy toward nostalgia and sentimentality on one hand, and the closing of ranks to protect the sport and the reputation and integrity of the people within it from "outsiders" on the other. Once you've achieved something or "paid your dues" in a sport, very few people within that sport world will ever speak ill of you, at least until the evidence of decline or some other problem is absolutely undeniable or the guy's moved on.

How many times have we seen guys presented as near-gods, even when there is no longer much tangible evidence of greatness - to uphold the reputation, it's leadership or heart or inspiration or some other intangible, difficult to measure quality instead of talent and results that the guy is said to possess in superhuman quantities? How many guys that are presented as universally loved and respected throughout their career are years later exposed as deeply flawed, much-hated tyrants or worse?

I don't WANT to think that Lancaster's been a major part of the problem with the Cats in recent years, because I'm a fan and I remember many of the great times in his career but, unlike some, I'm also not able to completely discount any possibility that he was any part of the problem either. So, if the organization is ready to move on with a new management team, I wouldn't feel it was unjust if Ron was not offered a role on it.

A thousand thanks for all Ron has done (and maybe endured), but let's move on to better days.

Exactly the way I feel

The idea that Lancaster is only being kept around as a kind of favour for his longevity is absurd. What his haters and critics fail to realize (or admit) is that he still has a keen football mind and provides usefull, vital services to the team. If Lancaster was kept on as a glorified pigskin pete he would quit in a minute.
Ambasadors are TC and the cheerleaders Lancaster is a football man. Mybe now he can perform his duites, like CT and MD without hinderances from people (and fans)without 1/50th of the knowledge Lancaster has on a bad day.

What about Young, Reed, Erdman, McPhee, and some of the players.

That's an over simplification.