L.A. Galaxy eliminated: Bring on David Beckham and a SELLOUT

The score couldn't have been closer. It was neck-and-neck the whole way through... a thrilling 0-0 tie.

Isn't every soccer game a 0-0 tie?

BTW, Sportsnet said the crowd was 48 000. So 120db can we expect you to dump on Vancouver for not being able to sell out "a world class" event?

I"m not surprised soccer is nothing but a bunch of divers these days, who'd actually want to watch soccer in such a horrid state.

I personaly didn't even know this game happened tonight. And i don't care either really. i thought it was sold out, weren't they tellin everyone that? Maybe thats why nobody bought anymore tickets, i always wondered if thats ever happened before.

I went to the game with my wife. She coached Girl's soccer for about five years and the game really does grow on you.

Last night, it looked like Beckham and the rest of the players were just kind of going through the motions - Beckham was playing like he didn't want to get hurt. That and a lot of little kids in the stands, jumping around, etc., detracted from the game.

Beckham left the pitch after 72 minutes of play time. That is when the rest of the players picked it up and made it interesting.

Listen, I am a huge lifelong Lions fan pushing 50 years old and the CFL is my favourite league hands down - but c'mon kids, let's try to keep an open mind about soccer.

Much like the CFL, North American soccer players (Beckham aside) don't make NHL, NFL, or NBA type money. They eke out a living and play for the love of the game - a lot like CFL players. Something to be said for that.

I’m talkin all soccer leagues everywhere, divers. The sport is a joke now.

A few things here.

First of all, although I'm also sometimes disappointed at the empty seats, the atmosphere at BC Place is electrifying. The people who DO attend more than make up for those who don't. I don't think the Lions are "hurting" too much by the attendance...the fans actually have had an impact on games with their enthusiasm and noise and I'm quite sure the Lions feel that the crowd/city supports them.

We're just fine, thank you for the concern.

Now, as far as the "transportation" - it does create a problem. Yes, there are skytrains but have you ever taken one late at night?...can be pretty frightening. Especially for someone like my son and his girlfriend (who have to go through the Surrey Central station in order to make connections).

Parking used to be reasonable but, last game I went to, $20-25. That may not sound like a lot for some of you, but for a single working Mom, it's kind of steep.

We DO go to games and the 7-11 tickets make it possible for us to do so. But the parking/price of concession mean that we don't go as often as we'd like to.

And, I agree, soccer is boring and full of drama kings who dive and act like they've been murdered at the slightest contact. I hate it.

Yea parking is ridiculous, it also has to do with land values and so on. I really think the skytrain is a lot safer now with real police officers and the second you press that yellow strip cameras and everything shutdown the skytrain before anybody gets off or anywhere, as someone whose been mugged once on the street, and once in an internet cafe, i’d have to say as scary as the skytrain seems there are a lot of people on after a game, too many to allow anything really bad to happen and i doubt anybody could get away with anything there’s usually police near skytrain stations.

The thing is tho i really don’t see them getting rid of BC Place, i think its gonna be one of those legendary stadiums, this is only the beginning.

I don’t know, it would be nice if they came up with some solution for parking downtown but i think its just a way for people to say don’t bring your cars downtown, and if you do we’re gonna gouge you, its all this global warming crap. And whats gonna happen if the stadium was out in the valley, well somebody else and their girlfriends gonna have to hop on the skytrain to come out there anyways so i really don’t see how it has any bearing on where it is in the city, either way someones going through the bad parts of town to get there, its just the way humans let this world become. And thats a whole other subject, but basically boils down to if everyone loved everyone then there’d be a lot less problems, a lot less people with broken wills, a lot less drug problems, a lot less everything if people did things the right way. You could apply this to anything, government, if the government all loved everyone too, where’s the corruption? It only takes one person to corrupt. And eventually this all filters down to parking, because land values are so high for even the locals who’ve lived here from the beginning and eXpo, but all we get is crammed skytrains and overpriced parking when we want to come to OUR downtown in OUR city that we’ve lived in for 20 years, personally i think if you’ve lived here for a certain period of time you should get certain things like that covered, because who are these people to think on top of all the bills everyone pays and taxes, that we should be paying more to park on roads or parking lots that tax dollars may or may not have payed for in the first place, may not because of parkades. I mean think about it really, to come downtown to spend any sort of money, you have to pay to get here first, then pay to park, or transit, and on all those you pay taxes of course, then you go to the football game. It really comes down to over-capatalism, too many people wanting a piece of your money, when they don’t realize they’re richer than most individuals so these prices don’t affect them, nor do they care because they’re not you and they don’t care. 60 percent taxed, and anything enjoyable (and its proven humans need enjoyment in life) is overpriced by the rich and greedy as soon as theres demand in “capatilism”, and don’t forget the banks, you gotta pay them god knows how many fees, and they’re the cause of a lot of the skyrocketing housing prices because they live off of mortgages, its a nice deal they have with the housing market, kind of unwritten i guess but everyone has to use a bank to do any transactions right? So you buy the house with the mortgage that same company goes puts it in there bank with interest, i mean do i need to go on, its defintely gotten out of control from what the makers of this country intended for us. And now that the world has all adopted this “North American” business structure we’re gonna get into one nasty cycle of countries goin poor, and if you think it won’t happen to us one day, it could. One day we’re linin up in bread lines like in russia. Something has to give eventually with all this greed, somethings got to crack soon. I mean look how hard it is to even get these companies to own to where our dollar is now, they still want to gouge us, and if nobody said anything we’d still be paying 63 cents per US dollar on every product that we get from the US, which is basically most of our electronics and vehicles, and movies, and music. If nobody says anything then they’ll just do it, its the way it works these days. Its a “dog eat dog” world, yay!

Basically its a lot more than just the BC lions, who have virtually no power over this huge huge world wide problem that all comes down to why you have to pay so much just to come downtown in your home city, pretty lame.

Yup. What he said.

vanhalendlrband, I want you to write my epitaph and eulogy. wow.

Seriously, you bring up very profound and valid points, and I truly do appreciate your passion and empathy. Good on ya.

What we'd do for Lions games was to do what we called the ol' "Ghetto Park and Fly." We'd park somewhere between Broadway/Great Northern and Main/Cambie. Closer to the cops station the better. We'd look for the free parking or pay for an hour/hour and a half to the meter, and then hoof it over the Cambie St. Bridge. There are always tons of people walking back and forth.

Then we got really cheap and started to bike to the games, about 25 mins, until my bike got stolen and then my buddies!!!

But as for the Skytrain issue. Yup it can get pretty shady. Usually, I don't get trouble, except someone seeing if I want/or am selling stuff. One guy thot I was dealing and wanted to trade me a block of cheese for a baggie! WTF!

But what ever happened to the buses that came from the valley? Don't they still do that? I recall seeing a big bus full of people wearing Leos garb during some home games in October?

And as for development and taxes? I wish I could find the link, but I recall seeing the average domestic property in Vancouver being in the upper $500k range! Prepare for more gouge! with a side of rental hike.